Messenger Service - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Messenger Service - Microsoft Windows ; I have Windows XP. I got a pop up window " Messenger Service" very frequently, the message as below: Message from FROM to TO on 7/27/2007 STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. Windows has found 55 Critical system errors. To fix ...

  1. Messenger Service

    I have Windows XP. I got a pop up window " Messenger Service" very
    frequently, the message as below:

    Message from FROM to TO on 7/27/2007
    STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
    Windows has found 55 Critical system errors.
    To fix the errors please do the following:
    1. Download Registry Update from: www.helpfixpc.com
    2. Install Registry Update
    3. Run Registry Update
    4. Reboot your computer
    FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!

    I keep closing the Messenger Service pop up windows. Please advise.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Messenger Service

    blackdog writes:

    > I have Windows XP. I got a pop up window " Messenger Service" very
    > frequently, the message as below:
    >
    > Message from FROM to TO on 7/27/2007
    > STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
    > Windows has found 55 Critical system errors.
    > To fix the errors please do the following:
    > 1. Download Registry Update from: www.helpfixpc.com
    > 2. Install Registry Update
    > 3. Run Registry Update
    > 4. Reboot your computer
    > FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!
    >

    > I keep closing the Messenger Service pop up windows. Please advise.
    > Thanks.

    A hardware or software firewall will address this issue. Or shooting
    the messenger (service).

    Is your Windows firewall not up and configured?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Messenger Service

    On Jul 27, 9:09 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > blackdog writes:
    > > I have Windows XP. I got a pop up window " Messenger Service" very
    > > frequently, the message as below:

    > > Message from FROM to TO on 7/27/2007
    > > STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
    > > Windows has found 55 Critical system errors.
    > > To fix the errors please do the following:
    > > 1. Download Registry Update from:www.helpfixpc.com
    > > 2. Install Registry Update
    > > 3. Run Registry Update
    > > 4. Reboot your computer
    > > FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!

    > > I keep closing the Messenger Service pop up windows. Please advise.
    > > Thanks.

    > A hardware or software firewall will address this issue. Or shooting
    > the messenger (service).
    >
    > Is your Windows firewall not up and configured?
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    I am not sure I have Windows firewall set up. How to check the
    configuration? Is the pop up message related to Windows Messenger? I
    don't use Windows Messenger. Please help.
    Thanks.

  4. Re: Messenger Service

    You don't need the messenger service unless you are on a corporate network. If you are not on a corporate network the messages you get are from people hacking into your computer. You can eliminate the messages by running %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s and disabling the messenger service.
    If I recall correctly the messenger service is disabled by default with service pack 2, which you should be using. The last time I checked SP2 was available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    As others have said you should be using a firewall. Forget the windows firewall. Use ZoneAlarm instead. You can get the latest version at http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...zaSetup_en.exe
    I have not used this version. It works with Vista and is probably bloated. You can get earlier versions from http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm
    I use version 6.1.737, which works quit well.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  5. Re: Messenger Service

    blackdog wrote:
    > On Jul 27, 9:09 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >> blackdog writes:
    >>> I have Windows XP. I got a pop up window " Messenger Service" very
    >>> frequently, the message as below:
    >>> Message from FROM to TO on 7/27/2007
    >>> STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
    >>> Windows has found 55 Critical system errors.
    >>> To fix the errors please do the following:
    >>> 1. Download Registry Update from:www.helpfixpc.com
    >>> 2. Install Registry Update
    >>> 3. Run Registry Update
    >>> 4. Reboot your computer
    >>> FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE!
    >>> I keep closing the Messenger Service pop up windows. Please advise.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> A hardware or software firewall will address this issue. Or shooting
    >> the messenger (service).
    >>
    >> Is your Windows firewall not up and configured?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    > I am not sure I have Windows firewall set up. How to check the
    > configuration? Is the pop up message related to Windows Messenger? I
    > don't use Windows Messenger. Please help.
    > Thanks.

    Just to clarify, the firewall comes into play because the message you
    are receiving is coming from the Internet via the Windows Messenger
    service. In other words, you are being spammed.

    Windows Messenger (which is built-in to most versions of Windows, and is
    separate from MSN Messenger or any other sort of Instant Messenger
    service) was designed so that corporate system administrators could send
    pop-up messages to their users when they had to take down some server or
    other resource for maintenance. Unfortunately, folks have discovered how
    to send these messages to random PC's across the Internet.

    With a firewall in place, those messages will stop immediately. I run a
    home network, so those sorts of messages get trapped at my cable router
    which acts as a hardware firewall. So the fact that you're getting these
    in the first place means you probably have just one machine on the
    Internet, and you can use a hardware or software firewall between your
    machine and the Internet.

    Another approach ("shoot the messenger") entails turning off the service
    on your PC that receives the spam. Unless your system is on a corporate
    network, you do not need to be running the Windows Messenger service,
    and as has been mentioned it is turned off by default as of Windows XP
    Service Pack 2. So if you do not have Service Pack 2, you should
    probably download it from Microsoft and install it. Until you do so, you
    can turn it off with msc.exe as mentioned in another post.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Mike McManus
    Renton, WA