xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent - Microsoft Windows ; Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons transparent so you don't have ugly blocks all over your nice background? XP pro is in use. thanks Jeff Jeff Kish...

  1. xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons transparent so you
    don't have ugly blocks all over your nice background? XP pro is in use.

    thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff Kish

  2. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    Jeff Kish wrote in

    > Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons
    > transparent so you don't have ugly blocks all over your
    > nice background? XP pro is in use.
    >
    > thanks
    > Jeff
    > Jeff Kish

    I would not go near XP let alone Vista for anything in the
    world, but are you telling me transparent icon text is STILL not
    an option? (I think the world has accepted the fact one will
    NEVER be able to print a directory/folder's contents from
    Windows without a 3rd party program...)

    http://www.flash.net/~qsystems
    Transparent DT, free
    I've been using it for over 10 years.
    May or may not work on XP, site was last updated in 2003.
    There are others, Google.

    Also, many wallpaper changers offer this feature, such as:
    http://www.wallpaperchanger.de, free

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

  3. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    Jeff Kish wrote:
    > Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons
    > transparent so you don't have ugly blocks all over your nice
    > background? XP pro is in use.

    Er...yes, mine are like that, but for the life of me I can't find where
    I set it. Just to say though, that it indeed possible.

  4. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:44:08 +0200, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >Jeff Kish wrote:
    >> Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons
    >> transparent so you don't have ugly blocks all over your nice
    >> background? XP pro is in use.

    >Er...yes, mine are like that, but for the life of me I can't find where
    >I set it. Just to say though, that it indeed possible.

    anyone else know?
    someone told me they thought it was this setting, but mine was already like
    that without those results.

    Under Control Panel/Display/Desktop/Customize Desktop/Web make sure Lock
    desktop items is unchecked.
    Jeff Kish

  5. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:30:47 -0400, Jeff Kish
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons transparent so you
    >don't have ugly blocks all over your nice background? XP pro is in use.

    Open System Properties (the easiest way to get there, in my opinion,
    is to press the windows-key and the PrtScr keys at the same time, but
    you can also open "My Computer", click FILE and select "Properties")

    Click the "Advanced" tab

    Click the "Settings" button under Performance

    Checkmark (or clear the checkmark; I've seen it work both ways, oddly
    enough) "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

    Click OK until all windows closed.

    No more ugly blocks ;-)

  6. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    On Jul 25, 12:01 pm, thanatoid wrote:
    > Also, many wallpaper changers offer this feature, such as:http://www.wallpaperchanger.de, free

    Does this have any kind of arbitrary limitation on the total number of
    files? Most I've tried choke on anything more than a few hundred
    files, or require files be imported one by one (no recursive directory
    imports), or both.

  7. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 03:10:58 GMT, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:30:47 -0400, Jeff Kish
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons transparent so you
    >>don't have ugly blocks all over your nice background? XP pro is in use.

    >Open System Properties (the easiest way to get there, in my opinion,
    >is to press the windows-key and the PrtScr keys at the same time, but
    >you can also open "My Computer", click FILE and select "Properties")
    >
    >Click the "Advanced" tab
    >
    >Click the "Settings" button under Performance
    >
    >Checkmark (or clear the checkmark; I've seen it work both ways, oddly
    >enough) "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
    >
    >Click OK until all windows closed.
    >
    >No more ugly blocks ;-)

    Thanks. Yes this worked.. I had to check the box. So I guess that 'using drop
    shadows' makes the unselected icon state lose the shadows.
    Jeff Kish

  8. Re: xp - make labels under desktop icons transparent

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:30:47 -0400, Jeff Kish
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to make the letters under the desktop icons
    >> transparent so you don't have ugly blocks all over your nice
    >> background? XP pro is in use.

    > Open System Properties (the easiest way to get there, in my opinion,
    > is to press the windows-key and the PrtScr keys at the same time, but
    > you can also open "My Computer", click FILE and select "Properties")
    >
    > Click the "Advanced" tab
    >
    > Click the "Settings" button under Performance
    >
    > Checkmark (or clear the checkmark; I've seen it work both ways, oddly
    > enough) "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

    That's the one. On my machine it needs to be checked which, as you say,
    seems a little odd. But ours is not to reason why...

+ Reply to Thread