Detecting Data Center Edition ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Detecting Data Center Edition ? - Microsoft Windows ; I build sytstems for developers to test/crash/burn on. I've recently had a request to build a WIndows 2003 Datacenter Edition host. I got a set of ISOs that were represented to me as the correct images (properly licensed, btw, but ...

  1. Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    I build sytstems for developers to test/crash/burn on. I've recently
    had a request to build a WIndows 2003 Datacenter Edition host. I got
    a set of ISOs that were represented to me as the correct images
    (properly licensed, btw, but IT keeps the original discs) and
    installed them on a suitable system.

    My conundrum is that at no time during the install, or since the
    install, have I seen anything that definitively identifies this as
    Datacenter Edition. The installer said it was Windows 2003
    Enterprise, and the properties page from "My Computer" says it is
    Windows 2003 Enterprise.

    The closest I've come to anything definitive is somewhat obscure. I
    found a matrix indicating that DCE does not support the Windows
    Personal Firewall. I tinkered a little and was able to install and
    run the firewall from the original ISOs. This seems to indicate that
    what I have is NOT DCE, but our IT department vehemently insists that
    they gave me the right ISOs.

    Can anyone help me? What test can I perform that will definitively
    identify my installation as DCE or definitively not DCE. It's EM64T
    64-bit running on Intel dual-core, fwiw.

    Regards,
    Andy Gray

  2. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    >Can anyone help me? What test can I perform that will definitively
    >identify my installation as DCE or definitively not DCE. It's EM64T
    >64-bit running on Intel dual-core, fwiw.

    I whipped this up .. hope it helps.
    http://jassing.com/temp/isdce.exe

    dialog will pop up "yes" "no"

    -j

  3. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    In article ,
    XjoshX@jAssing.com says...
    > >Can anyone help me? What test can I perform that will definitively
    > >identify my installation as DCE or definitively not DCE. It's EM64T
    > >64-bit running on Intel dual-core, fwiw.

    > I whipped this up .. hope it helps.
    > http://jassing.com/temp/isdce.exe
    >
    > dialog will pop up "yes" "no"
    >
    > -j

    Hi, this is the OP posting from a different account-- got impatient
    waiting for GG to update.

    Thanks very much for the tool. This is great, and confirms what I
    expected -- that this is not DCE. I have a couple of questions, though
    --

    Can you describe how it determines "yes" or "no"? Is it something that
    could be searched for in the registry, or is it an API call?

    I would expect that the splash screen and/or My Computer -> Properties
    would say "Data Center Edition", but I've never seen an actual DCE
    install to compare to. Is it the case that the absence of such an
    indication is enough to say "its not DCE?" (did that even make sense?)

    Again, thanks for your help.

    andy gray

  4. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Andrew Gray writes:

    > In article ,
    > XjoshX@jAssing.com says...
    > > >Can anyone help me? What test can I perform that will definitively
    > > >identify my installation as DCE or definitively not DCE. It's EM64T
    > > >64-bit running on Intel dual-core, fwiw.

    > > I whipped this up .. hope it helps.
    > > http://jassing.com/temp/isdce.exe
    > >
    > > dialog will pop up "yes" "no"
    > >
    > > -j

    > Hi, this is the OP posting from a different account-- got impatient
    > waiting for GG to update.
    >
    > Thanks very much for the tool. This is great, and confirms what I
    > expected -- that this is not DCE.

    Now the big question: is it now part of jassing's bot net?

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    >Can you describe how it determines "yes" or "no"? Is it something that
    >could be searched for in the registry, or is it an API call?

    Nothing so cool -- it's just a request by the installer (it's really just a suf7
    installer script)

    if System.GetOSInfo().IsDataCenter then
    dialog yes
    else
    dialog no
    end

    I didn't dig deeper to find out how it did it.

    >I would expect that the splash screen and/or My Computer -> Properties
    >would say "Data Center Edition", but I've never seen an actual DCE
    >install to compare to. Is it the case that the absence of such an
    >indication is enough to say "its not DCE?" (did that even make sense?)

    My gut was if it said (properties) that it's Enterprise, then it's NOT DCE...

    I do not have a dce at hand, but I recall it saying that it was datacenter

    -josh

  6. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    >Now the big question: is it now part of jassing's bot net?

    I'd be happy to post the SUF7 script in it's entirety -- if there's a virus or
    anything else, indigorose put it there, not me.

    besides, you keep your virus protection up to date, don't you?
    You should always run software you download ona vpc or test machine 1st to see
    if it does what you think it does, then scan it with virus scanners; then
    install in real life.... but no; it was a 6 line script...

  7. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Josh Assing writes:

    > >Now the big question: is it now part of jassing's bot net?

    > I'd be happy to post the SUF7 script in it's entirety -- if there's a virus or
    > anything else, indigorose put it there, not me.

    :-)

    > besides, you keep your virus protection up to date, don't you?

    Just to folks aren't lulled into false security--a virus scanner can
    only detect what it knows about. Custom malware and repackers can
    evade most.

    > You should always run software you download ona vpc or test machine
    > 1st to see if it does what you think it does,

    True.

    Unfortunately to do so properly involves decompiling the code,
    stepping through it, and specialized tools and a good deal of
    knowledge. :-)

    > then scan it with virus scanners; then install in real life.... but
    > no; it was a 6 line script...

    Which is good and groovy. But end of day, it's all about this:
    http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/
    (skip to the moral for teh payoff)

    Since Andy was working on sandboxed systems and looking at ISO's, it's
    actually one time where you can be a bit flip about installing and
    running goodies.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    >Unfortunately to do so properly involves decompiling the code,
    >stepping through it, and specialized tools and a good deal of
    >knowledge. :-)

    Next time, because of your paranoia, and I don't want to get a bad name, I'll
    only post the code and leave it up to anyone else to go get the tool to compile
    it and deal with it on their own....

    thanks for pointing out that posting tools to help others is a bad idea.

    >Which is good and groovy. But end of day, it's all about this:
    > http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/
    > (skip to the moral for teh payoff)

    now that I'm paranoid too; I don't want to click on that link, becuase who knows
    what "the payoff" is -- might be a bomb to format my hard drive....

  9. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Josh Assing writes:

    > >Unfortunately to do so properly involves decompiling the code,
    > >stepping through it, and specialized tools and a good deal of
    > >knowledge. :-)

    > Next time, because of your paranoia, and I don't want to get a bad name, I'll
    > only post the code and leave it up to anyone else to go get the tool to compile
    > it and deal with it on their own....
    >
    > thanks for pointing out that posting tools to help others is a bad
    > idea.

    Josh, I think you're being unnecessarily defensive. If you think I'm
    attacking you for posting a helpful clean .exe, you've misread my
    ascii accent.

    I think it's great that you've been so helpful. If you'd posted the
    source with it or alongside it, that'd have obviated the whole side
    discussion.

    > >Which is good and groovy. But end of day, it's all about this:
    > > http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/
    > > (skip to the moral for teh payoff)

    > now that I'm paranoid too; I don't want to click on that link,
    > becuase who knows what "the payoff" is -- might be a bomb to format
    > my hard drive....

    You do run a current virus scanner don't you? ;-)

    It's a harmless classic article on Trusting Trust.

    Folks running servers in general can benefit from a bit paranoia,
    that's all. No slight was meant to you in all this--just the usual
    cautionary tale about downloading untrusted executables.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  10. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    In article <68mv93l406pptohgf7195o5agocfnh8q60@4ax.com>,
    XjoshX@jAssing.com says...
    > >Can you describe how it determines "yes" or "no"? Is it something that
    > >could be searched for in the registry, or is it an API call?

    > Nothing so cool -- it's just a request by the installer (it's really just a suf7
    > installer script)
    >
    > if System.GetOSInfo().IsDataCenter then
    > dialog yes
    > else
    > dialog no
    > end

    Josh: That actually is convincing enough. If such a call exists that is
    that specific, I'll trust it to do what it says. Thanks!

    As to the other subthread, I took a calculated risk. The system in
    question is in a black network. If it tried to "phone home", the only
    people who would know about it would be our ITSEC department and me.
    Second, I found it unlikely that a regular and helpful poster to this
    group would be a likely source of malware.

  11. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    >> if System.GetOSInfo().IsDataCenter then
    >> dialog yes
    >> else
    >> dialog no
    >> end

    >Josh: That actually is convincing enough. If such a call exists that is
    >that specific, I'll trust it to do what it says. Thanks!

    I figure it'd be easy enough to run filemon or regmon to see what it looks at...

    >Second, I found it unlikely that a regular and helpful poster to this
    >group would be a likely source of malware.

    Well; I'm not a regular poster of comm -- but I do monitor it for those rare
    moments when I can help; but the point was well taken you shoudl be on guard
    when dealing with someone -- putting it on my website shows who I am; I'm not
    hiding behind some free flickr download account or something....

    -j

  12. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Josh Assing wrote:
    > You should always run software you download ona vpc or test machine 1st...

    To my knowledge, there isn't any fully-fledged vpc software that's free,
    at least not yet. And an actual extra physical PC certainly would be
    expensive.

    I'm afraid those of us that are not rich have to continue to just use
    virus scanning for the foreseeable future, knowing it won't catch
    anything malicious that was just specially crafted. :P

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  13. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:52:27 -0400, Phil Cartwright
    wrote:

    >Josh Assing wrote:
    >> You should always run software you download ona vpc or test machine 1st...

    >To my knowledge, there isn't any fully-fledged vpc software that's free,
    >at least not yet. And an actual extra physical PC certainly would be
    >expensive.

    Luckily you have me to help you, unknowledgeable one....

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...c/default.mspx
    It's been free for a bit now; and made the news & NG's rounds....

    QEMU is free and open source.

    VMWare has a free product too.

    >I'm afraid those of us that are not rich have to continue to just use
    >virus scanning for the foreseeable future, knowing it won't catch
    >anything malicious that was just specially crafted. :P

    you can't afford a $50 machine for testing on? I have 4 hp vectra 500mhz
    machines -- $50 + shipping and you can have one...
    you don't need big or expensive machines to test on -- check ebay or your local
    recyclers -- the machine I send may have a bios virus on it... ;-)

    -j

  14. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Phil Cartwright writes:

    > Josh Assing wrote:
    > > You should always run software you download ona vpc or test machine 1st...

    > To my knowledge, there isn't any fully-fledged vpc software that's
    > free, at least not yet. And an actual extra physical PC certainly
    > would be expensive.

    Not true:

    In addition to the Virtual PC from Microsoft Josh mentioned, there's
    the, this free product from VMWare deemed superior by many:

    VMWare Server
    http://vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  15. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Todd H. wrote:
    > VMWare Server
    > http://vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

    What's the catch? Timebombed? Limited to emulating an ancient cramped
    little 386? Spyware? Gratuitous lack of something -- e.g. DirectX support?

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  16. Re: Detecting Data Center Edition ?

    Phil Cartwright writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > VMWare Server http://vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

    > What's the catch? Timebombed? Limited to emulating an ancient cramped
    > little 386? Spyware? Gratuitous lack of something -- e.g. DirectX
    > support?

    No catch. If you need fast patches, hardware and software support,
    they do charge for support there, but the free product is eventually
    updated too. It's their old GSX Server product, and afine one at
    that. They used to have Workstation, GSX Server, and ESX Server. The
    first 2 were hosted solutions requiring a host OS of Linux or Windows,
    while ESX ran on bare metal and had it's own Linux-based OS as part of
    it. Workstation supports snapshot features and teaming and such fun.
    They decided strategically GSX wasn't doing a ton for them, they spin
    it off as a free product to get folks hooked on virtualization, and
    hope enough businesses will buy support for it, or get excited enough
    about this to go with ESX in the future for server needs, or
    Workstation on the desktop.

    VMWare is great stuff.

    Best Regards,
    --