Window or other memory limit? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Window or other memory limit? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, we (me and my co-worker) are experiencing a strange problem with windows for several years now and across all Windows versions. After some time (sometimes two days, sometimes two weeks, depending on usage) there seems to be a constantly ...

  1. Window or other memory limit?

    Hi,

    we (me and my co-worker) are experiencing a strange problem with
    windows for several years now and across all Windows versions.

    After some time (sometimes two days, sometimes two weeks, depending on
    usage) there seems to be a constantly decreasing limit of windows and
    other graphical objects.

    When the effect occurs, Windows won't open another - for example -
    browser window. Context menus of all applications have entries
    missing. Sometimes they just lack the menu icons. Sometimes the whole
    menu bar is gone. Some (but not all) application complain about
    insufficient memory.
    To make work possible again we have to close one or more windows, but
    a little later it will occur again with even fewer windows allowed.

    Using many Internet Explorer windows seems to provoke the effect. Also
    using Adobe Photoshop is a reliable way to trigger it.

    This has been reproducible on all Windows PCs I've seen over years
    (quite a few!) and on Windows 2000, XP and even Vista.
    Other co-workers don't suffer from this problem, but we suspect this
    is because they just use fewer windows/applications.

    Where can this come from?

    Regards,
    André

  2. Re: Window or other memory limit?

    Most likely low resources because of leakage. This was a big problem with Win3x, and to a lesser extent with Win9x. This problem was supposed to have been fixed with WinNT with its (almost) unlimited resources. The only known fix is to reboot.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

+ Reply to Thread