Best way to script for Windows - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Best way to script for Windows - Microsoft Windows ; I am especially interested in windows servers. It looks to me like msft wants to give up vbscript, and go with msh/ powershell. From what I have seen, the code looks less readable, but maybe it's worth it. IMO: although ...

  1. Best way to script for Windows

    I am especially interested in windows servers.

    It looks to me like msft wants to give up vbscript, and go with msh/
    powershell. From what I have seen, the code looks less readable, but
    maybe it's worth it. IMO: although BASIC has it's faults, it is a very
    readable language.

    I thought I read something about msft coming up with new basic-like
    scripting language. But I can not seem to find anything about that.
    Maybe I imagined it.

    Maybe it would be better to give up on the msft solutions (as much as
    possible) and just go with perl, python, or javascript. At least that
    way your scripts would be more cross-platform.

    Any thoughts?

  2. Re: Best way to script for Windows

    walterbyrd writes:

    > I am especially interested in windows servers.
    >
    > It looks to me like msft wants to give up vbscript, and go with msh/
    > powershell. From what I have seen, the code looks less readable, but
    > maybe it's worth it. IMO: although BASIC has it's faults, it is a very
    > readable language.
    >
    > I thought I read something about msft coming up with new basic-like
    > scripting language. But I can not seem to find anything about that.
    > Maybe I imagined it.
    >
    > Maybe it would be better to give up on the msft solutions (as much as
    > possible) and just go with perl, python, or javascript. At least that
    > way your scripts would be more cross-platform.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Other than agreement? :-)

    If what you need to do in your script can be done reliably and
    efficiently in those existing cross platform languages, and you can
    deploy the underlying interpreter easily enough for your target
    machines, go for it. Some microsoft-y things however are easier to
    do in their languages for obvious reasons. Depends really on what
    the script has to do to determine which language is the most efficient
    way to get the job done.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.