Unnavigable folders - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Unnavigable folders - Microsoft Windows ; I've found several folders on my hard drive that are simply unnavigable. Getting to the parent folder and then trying to select, let alone open the problem folder hangs the folder window. This particularly affects C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Unnavigable folders

    I've found several folders on my hard drive that are simply unnavigable.
    Getting to the parent folder and then trying to select, let alone open
    the problem folder hangs the folder window. This particularly affects
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu which is somewhere I had
    reason to go poking around just now, but apparently cannot...

    From my attempts I've now accumulated *three* "C:\Documents and
    Settings\All Users (Not Responding)"s in my taskbar...the failure is
    quite consistent.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  2. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote in

    > I've found several folders on my hard drive that are simply
    > unnavigable. Getting to the parent folder and then trying
    > to select, let alone open the problem folder hangs the
    > folder window. This particularly affects C:\Documents and
    > Settings\All Users\Start Menu which is somewhere I had
    > reason to go poking around just now, but apparently
    > cannot...
    >
    > From my attempts I've now accumulated *three*
    > "C:\Documents and
    > Settings\All Users (Not Responding)"s in my taskbar...the
    > failure is quite consistent.

    Oh yeah, keep on using Explorer... There's be nuthin' finer!

    Re:
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change,
    spam, and death.

    Not very original and quite incorrect. Change and spam are more
    than debatable. And you left out a very important one. I'll let
    you guess what. (Hint: has to do with the subject of your
    posts.)

    --
    Everyone who installs Vista is insane.

  3. Re: Unnavigable folders

    thanatoid wrote:
    some insulting twaddle but nothing of any interest

    Young man, please go away and stop inhibiting the people from posting
    who might actually deign to be helpful, however it is you're doing that.
    You're nearly as bad as that aix fella. Unless you intend to actually be
    genuinely helpful, rather than insult me, stick your hand in my pocket,
    or rant, ignore me and leave someone else free to answer me if they
    choose to.

    So far I haven't had a single person genuinely post anything helpful
    here in response to anything I wrote -- mostly just people with an axe
    to grind against Microsoft, from what I've seen so far. Anyone "of aix"
    in particular really doesn't seem to belong in
    comp.os.ms-windows.anything. And it's looking like neither do you.

    Now anyone who's been discouraged from responding to my original
    questions because of Thanatoid's rants and the like, feel free to speak
    up. I won't bite ... not if you're not another Thanatoid, anyway.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  4. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    > some insulting twaddle but nothing of any interest
    >
    > Young man, please go away and stop inhibiting the people
    > from posting who might actually deign to be helpful,
    > however it is you're doing that. You're nearly as bad as
    > that aix fella. Unless you intend to actually be genuinely
    > helpful, rather than insult me, stick your hand in my
    > pocket, or rant, ignore me and leave someone else free to
    > answer me if they choose to.
    >
    > So far I haven't had a single person genuinely post
    > anything helpful here in response to anything I wrote --
    > mostly just people with an axe to grind against Microsoft,
    > from what I've seen so far. Anyone "of aix" in particular
    > really doesn't seem to belong in
    > comp.os.ms-windows.anything. And it's looking like neither
    > do you.

    So even understanding someone having an "axe to grind" against
    Microsoft is beyond you, huh? Nice doggie. Bill give you
    snausage.

    BTW, your above 2 paragraphs are totally contradictory. If you
    really want answers (if there are any), go to a more specific
    group. Hardly anyone ever visits this one. I come here from
    boredom and because I enjoy arquing with morons.

    > Now anyone who's been discouraged from responding to my
    > original questions because of Thanatoid's rants and the
    > like, feel free to speak up. I won't bite ... not if you're
    > not another Thanatoid, anyway.

    Again, thanatoid is NOT capitalized, thank you.

    --
    Everyone who installs Vista is insane.

  5. Re: Unnavigable folders

    thanatoid wrote:
    > So even understanding someone having an "axe to grind" against
    > Microsoft is beyond you, huh? Nice doggie. Bill give you
    > snausage.

    Oh I understand it just fine. I don't think Microsoft is any great
    shakes. On the other hand, mister, Linux advocacy and anti-MS rants are
    off-topic in this newsgroup. And they are not especially helpful as

    > BTW, your above 2 paragraphs are totally contradictory. If you
    > really want answers (if there are any), go to a more specific
    > group. Hardly anyone ever visits this one.

    What newsgroup would you recommend? There isn't one specific to MS
    Explorer that I could find. That means use the nearest misc group, if I
    recall my news.admin.newusers correctly. Which would be this group.

    > Again, thanatoid is NOT capitalized, thank you.

    This was way before your time, but when I was still growing up we were
    taught to, among other things, capitalize proper names when writing. Not
    doing so got you a beating. I suppose these days it doesn't even get you
    a failing grade. Respecting your elders also seems to have fallen out of
    the modern curriculum if I'm any judge. For shame.

    In any case, if you can't stay on topic, begone with you!

    -PLONK-

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  6. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote in

    > > Again, thanatoid is NOT capitalized, thank you.

    > This was way before your time, but when I was still growing
    > up we were taught to, among other things, capitalize proper
    > names when writing. Not doing so got you a beating. I
    > suppose these days it doesn't even get you a failing grade.
    > Respecting your elders also seems to have fallen out of the
    > modern curriculum if I'm any judge. For shame.

    I am probably at least as old as you, although having grown up
    in a civilized country, we were not beaten for spelling errors,
    let alone fictitious. Still, I can understand what operant
    conditioning (look it up) can do to a geeky litle boy.

    thanatoid is not a proper name, it is a Usenet nickname, moron.

    Also, ever heard of e.e. cummings? That WAS a proper name and he
    chose to spell it that way and it is spelled that way everywhere
    - not that YOU would have run across it.

    A person can choose his/her name to be whatever s/he wants,
    capitalized it or not, let alone a nickname.

    Again, have a nice Explorer day.

    --
    Everyone who installs Vista is insane.

  7. Re: Unnavigable folders

    thanafoid wrote:
    gibberings of a raving loon

    What the f*@!?

    - rePLONK -

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  8. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:

    >So far I haven't had a single person genuinely post anything helpful
    >here in response to anything I wrote -- mostly just people with an axe
    >to grind against Microsoft, from what I've seen so far. Anyone "of aix"
    >in particular really doesn't seem to belong in
    >comp.os.ms-windows.anything. And it's looking like neither do you.

    "Helpful" by your definition means "what you want to see". If you want
    to communicate with yes-people, this might be the wrong place. Besides,
    your arrogant attitude, combined with a serious lack of anything even
    remotely resembling a clue, will not quite encourage people to provide
    you with any kind of help.

    JK'07

  9. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright wrote:
    >

    >>So far I haven't had a single person genuinely post anything helpful
    >>here in response to anything I wrote -- mostly just people with an axe
    >>to grind against Microsoft, from what I've seen so far. Anyone "of aix"
    >>in particular really doesn't seem to belong in
    >>comp.os.ms-windows.anything. And it's looking like neither do you.

    > "Helpful" by your definition means "what you want to see". If you want
    > to communicate with yes-people, this might be the wrong place. Besides,
    > your arrogant attitude, combined with a serious lack of anything even
    > remotely resembling a clue, will not quite encourage people to provide
    > you with any kind of help.

    Is there nobody actually either helpful or civil to be found online
    anymore? That makes three equally unhelpful and hostile responders I've
    run into here so far. Who said anything about "communicating with
    yes-people"? That's a mighty big leap of a conclusion to infer from my
    wanting to know how to tweak certain aspects of Explorer's behavior and
    preferring a relevant answer about that to a pointless anti-Microsoft
    tirade.

    Now are you going to tell me how I can fix and reconfigure Explorer to
    my liking, or are you too just going to either insult me, try to sell me
    something to use in place of Explorer, or try to sell me on the whole
    "Microsoft is evil and Windows must be deleted from your hard drive"
    thing? I need to know, so I know whether you should join Aix, Thanatoid
    as "thanatoid", and Thanatoid as "thanafoid" in my plonk file.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  10. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:
    > Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    >> Phil Cartwright wrote:
    >>

    >>> So far I haven't had a single person genuinely post anything helpful
    >>> here in response to anything I wrote -- mostly just people with an
    >>> axe to grind against Microsoft, from what I've seen so far. Anyone
    >>> "of aix" in particular really doesn't seem to belong in
    >>> comp.os.ms-windows.anything. And it's looking like neither do you.

    >> "Helpful" by your definition means "what you want to see". If you
    >> want to communicate with yes-people, this might be the wrong place.
    >> Besides, your arrogant attitude, combined with a serious lack of
    >> anything even remotely resembling a clue, will not quite encourage
    >> people to provide you with any kind of help.

    > Is there nobody actually either helpful or civil to be found online
    > anymore?

    Plenty, including me, despite your opinion. When people tell you again
    and again that your attitude is wrong it is time to take notice.
    Blaiming others for your faults will not change anything, it is time you
    looked reality in the face. *You* are the waste of time, not those who
    reply to you. My first impression of you, which received a reply that
    caused you to killfile me, was spot on, of that I am now absolutely
    certain. You are a ****wit ,the quicker you accept that and change your
    ways the better it will be.

  11. Re: Unnavigable folders

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright wrote in
    >

    >>I've found several folders on my hard drive that are simply
    >>unnavigable. Getting to the parent folder and then trying
    >>to select, let alone open the problem folder hangs the
    >>folder window. This particularly affects C:\Documents and
    >>Settings\All Users\Start Menu which is somewhere I had
    >>reason to go poking around just now, but apparently
    >>cannot...
    >>
    >> From my attempts I've now accumulated *three*
    >> "C:\Documents and
    >>Settings\All Users (Not Responding)"s in my taskbar...the
    >>failure is quite consistent.

    > Oh yeah, keep on using Explorer... There's be nuthin' finer!

    So far this is still the highest quality of help that I've received. No
    real answers to my specific, polite, and reasonable questions about
    Explorer configuration and registry tweaks. Just sarcastic stuff like
    this, together with claims that I have an "attitude problem" or
    similarly because I want real technical information instead of responses
    like the one quoted above.

    If this is not a newsgroup where people will provide actual technical
    information and assistance regarding Windows problems, without judging
    or questioning why I'm using Windows, then please tell me what newsgroup
    is better for asking Explorer-related questions in. I'll gladly go there
    and be out of your hair, if this news server carries the group in question.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  12. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote in

    > ...you are rabidly
    > pro-MS and take any suggestion that Explorer is less than
    > perfect as a mortal insult!

    Look, bud. Each successive post of yours is more confused, but
    let me spell it out for you in the plainest manner possible
    (obviously what you perceived as my "anti-MS rant" went a little
    over your head).

    ***
    Explorer is not a file manager, it is a torture device purposely
    designed to allow you to do the least possible with the most
    hassle possible.
    ***

    OK?

    Why do you think there are 500 replacements for it and why do
    you think there are hundreds (if not thousands) of web sites
    telling you how to tweak Windows to run more or less properly?

    If ANY version of Windows EVER ran "as promised" out of the box,
    none of that would be necessary. Yet necessary it is, so YOU
    take your stupid "I have a nice Windows computer which I paid
    money for, it's supposed to run the way *I* want it to and I'm
    not budging an inch!" attitude and shove it!

    I'd LOVE to see you at a car repair shop!

    I REALLY don't even know why I am bothering to write this, you
    are hopeless. But it HAS been an entertaining thread. Thanks to
    all the contributors ;-)

    --
    Everyone who installs Vista is insane.

  13. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:

    >I requested advice about getting Explorer to work better.

    You demanded to know how to make Explorer work the way you want it.
    Judging from your writing, you're not an IT expert or somebody with
    proven knowledge, only somebody who thinks he is. These are the worst.

    >Nothing about that is "unreasonable and
    >impertinent", unless you consider any criticism of Explorer at all to be
    >"unreasonable and impertinent".

    Your ability to draw a conclusion is even worse than your technical
    knowledge. If you hear a traffic announcement on the radio, stating that
    some addle-headed person is driving on the highway in the wrong
    direction, your response will be: "What, one? Thousands!"

    Read your own postings. This time try not to see yourself as the final
    result of billions of years of evolution. (Frankly, you are not.
    Evolution stares in horror at you, screaming: "All the work for THAT?")

    >Now it's looking like whereas the others are rabid MS-haters whose only
    >advice to me will be to dump Windows (or at least Explorer) for
    >something else, you are rabidly pro-MS and take any suggestion that
    >Explorer is less than perfect as a mortal insult!

    Again, you are cordially invited to provide evidence for this ridiculous
    allegation.

    It's really simple. Obviously the filename limit of Windows Explorer
    does not meet the requirements of what you call "organising". Since
    you're unwilling to take the matter up with Microsoft, there aren't many
    options left. Think. Even if thinking violates your religious
    conviction.

    JK'07

  14. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright wrote:

    [break]

    Let's put all of this bullcrap in context shall we? It all started when
    I asked:

    "How do you stop explorer windows scrolling by themselves and otherwise
    acting like they have a mind of their own?"

    and one or two similar questions.

    >>I requested advice about getting Explorer to work better.

    True. See above.

    [trim insults]

    >>Nothing about that is "unreasonable and
    >>impertinent", unless you consider any criticism of Explorer at all to be
    >>"unreasonable and impertinent".

    Tell me what you find "unreasonable and impertinent" in "How do you stop
    explorer windows scrolling by themselves and otherwise acting like they
    have a mind of their own?"

    [trim more insults]

    >>Now it's looking like whereas the others are rabid MS-haters whose only
    >>advice to me will be to dump Windows (or at least Explorer) for
    >>something else, you are rabidly pro-MS and take any suggestion that
    >>Explorer is less than perfect as a mortal insult!

    > Again, you are cordially invited to provide evidence for this ridiculous
    > allegation.

    Simple -- I said "How do you stop explorer windows scrolling by
    themselves and otherwise acting like they have a mind of their own?" and
    you later claimed this was somehow "unreasonable and impertinent". The
    only way that question is at all "unreasonable and impertinent" is if
    any questioning of explorer's behavior is somehow taboo, which means you
    are some sort of pro-Microsoft fanatic.

    [remainder trimmed - we are discussing explorer's auto-scrolling
    behavior and hanging when certain folders are selected, not filename
    lengths, that was in another thread and is not relevant in this thread]

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  15. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:

    >"How do you stop explorer windows scrolling by themselves and otherwise
    >acting like they have a mind of their own?"

    All right, here's an answer. You will not like it, of course, but this
    is your problem, not mine.

    Since obviously this problem affects only you - at least nobody so far
    claimed to have the same trouble - the solution is really simple: stop
    doing it wrong.

    There.

    >Tell me what you find "unreasonable and impertinent" in "How do you stop
    >explorer windows scrolling by themselves and otherwise acting like they
    >have a mind of their own?"

    It's unreasonable to ask how an application can be "hardened" against
    faulty usage. This is a clear case of PEBKAC (problem exists between
    keyboard and chair). Impertinent is your way of treating people and
    ignoring answers which don't fit your extremely limited understanding.

    Mind you, I don't blame you for being clueless. But being clueless and
    treating others like idiots, that's rich.

    Either you're just not doing it right, or your equipment is
    malfunctioning. Again, you won't like the answer because it's not what
    you want to see, you as fault-free human being.

    >Simple -- I said "How do you stop explorer windows scrolling by
    >themselves and otherwise acting like they have a mind of their own?" and
    >you later claimed this was somehow "unreasonable and impertinent".

    It's most interesting how you're trying to link these two things
    together. Once more I'm forced to notice that if the world is not how
    you want it, you're attempting to bend it the way you like. You're not
    that big.

    >The
    >only way that question is at all "unreasonable and impertinent" is if
    >any questioning of explorer's behavior is somehow taboo, which means you
    >are some sort of pro-Microsoft fanatic.

    We've already established that your ability to draw a conclusion is
    non-existent. There was no need to prove it again. Now we can add to the
    list "has no idea what evidence is" and "not of a sound mind".

    >[remainder trimmed - we are discussing explorer's auto-scrolling
    >behavior and hanging when certain folders are selected, not filename
    >lengths, that was in another thread and is not relevant in this thread]

    No. You are simply trying to shift the blame from yourself to Explorer.
    It is blatantly obvious that you don't even consider the option of
    having done something wrong. This possibility does not exist in your
    tiny universe. No, it can't be your fault, it has to be Explorer. You
    don't even know what Explorer actually is.

    Take your computer and give it away. Sell it, donate it, dump it out of
    the window, no matter how. Somebody like you should not be allowed
    anywhere near such a device.

    To alter a famous saying: "Make something idiot-proof, and somebody will
    send Phil Cartwright."

    JK'07

  16. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright wrote:
    >
    >>"How do you stop explorer windows scrolling by themselves and otherwise
    >>acting like they have a mind of their own?"

    > All right, here's an answer. You will not like it, of course, but this
    > is your problem, not mine.
    >
    > Since obviously this problem affects only you - at least nobody so far
    > claimed to have the same trouble - the solution is really simple: stop
    > doing it wrong.

    I'm NOT doing "it" wrong.

    Let's see.
    * Scrolling problem one: dropping a file into an open Explorer window
    sometimes inserts it where dropped and sometimes puts it at the end of
    the list instead. Try it a few times and see for yourself. It's
    completely random. Nothing is being done incorrectly -- how can it be?
    It's point and click! The black bar indicates where the file should go,
    but it actually goes there only about 80% of the time.
    * Scrolling problem two: extending a selection. Try this: open an
    explorer window with enough files to require scrolling. Click the top
    file, scroll a ways down, and go to shift-click or control-click another
    file. Fairly often, the moment you hit the shift or control key and
    before you even make the second click, the window will jump all the way
    back to the top all by itself. Again, there's no operator error here --
    it should be just point and click. For some reason, it's acting like the
    shift or control key means something even before you hit something else
    for it to shift or control.
    * Scrolling problem three: every window suddenly scrolls to the top and
    deselects all selected items once in a while when you close one, change
    directories in one, or run any kind of installer -- infrequently in the
    first two cases and invariably in the third. So to observe this one,
    just open an explorer window with lots of files in it, scroll down,
    select a file or two so it says "n objects selected" at the bottom, and
    then run an installer of some sort. Likely you'll find after it's done
    that the explorer window is mysteriously no longer saying "n objects
    selected" and is showing the top of the directory, regardless of how
    you'd left it last. Opening another explorer window and doing a lot of
    traveling in it will also trigger this ... eventually. Again I don't see
    how this can be user error. It happens to a window that doesn't even
    have focus this time!
    * Selecting some folders, including C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu, hangs Explorer. This is also very easy to reproduce. I
    just did it again -- I used the start menu to open "My Computer", picked
    "C", picked "Documents and Settings", picked "All Users" (all with
    double-clicks), and then clicked "Start Menu". Start Menu didn't select,
    and I quickly verified that it's not possible to select anything or open
    any menus in that window. It won't maximize. It won't close and claims
    Explorer is not responding when I try to close it. If I'm lying, I'm
    dying...and again I don't see any kind of pilot error here. I navigated
    in a perfectly legitimate way from my start menu to the folder in
    question and clicked on it; that is all. How exactly am I "doing it
    wrong"? Tell me -- was it clicking the start button? Clicking "My
    Computer"? Double-clicking "C"? Double-clicking "Documents and
    Settings"? Double-clicking "All Users"? Or clicking "Start Menu"? If one
    of those was somehow a "wrong move", which was it? And why is it
    "wrong"? And what would you have done instead, given you wanted to
    navigate to that particular folder? Hmm? If you're so certain I've made
    some kind of error that caused it to not work, I'd love to hear what you
    would have done smarter. By all means, tell me! I'm all ears!

    Nah. The fact of the matter is that there has been no user error here.
    You don't want to admit it, but your precious Microsoft Explorer simply
    isn't perfect, much as you wish it were.

    Now please either provide me some genuine help, tell me what newsgroup
    to go to instead to get some (and it better be carried by aioe.org), or
    go away; your choice. But please do quit insulting me and launching into
    tirades on irrelevant side topics. I may have asked some questions that
    make you uncomfortable by challenging your certainty of Explorer's
    unassailable state of perfection, but what the hey, I'm only the
    messenger. Shooting me isn't going to change anything, least of all the
    truth of what I had to say.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  17. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:
    > Jan Kannemacher wrote:

    > Let's see.
    > * Scrolling problem one: dropping a file into an open Explorer window
    > sometimes inserts it where dropped and sometimes puts it at the end of
    > the list instead. Try it a few times and see for yourself. It's
    > completely random. Nothing is being done incorrectly -- how can it be?
    > It's point and click! The black bar indicates where the file should
    > go, but it actually goes there only about 80% of the time.

    For me it always goes to the bottom, always.

    > * Scrolling problem two: extending a selection. Try this: open an
    > explorer window with enough files to require scrolling. Click the top
    > file, scroll a ways down, and go to shift-click or control-click
    > another file. Fairly often, the moment you hit the shift or control
    > key and before you even make the second click, the window will jump
    > all the way back to the top all by itself. Again, there's no operator
    > error here -- it should be just point and click. For some reason,
    > it's acting like the shift or control key means something even before
    > you hit something else for it to shift or control.

    It never does that for me unless I make an extraneous click or
    something.

    > * Scrolling problem three: every window suddenly scrolls to the top
    > and deselects all selected items once in a while when you close one,
    > change directories in one, or run any kind of installer --
    > infrequently in the first two cases and invariably in the third.

    > * Selecting some folders, including C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\Start Menu, hangs Explorer. This is also very easy to
    > reproduce. I just did it again -- I used the start menu to open "My
    > Computer", picked "C", picked "Documents and Settings", picked "All
    > Users" (all with double-clicks), and then clicked "Start Menu". Start
    > Menu didn't select, and I quickly verified that it's not possible to
    > select anything or open any menus in that window. It won't maximize.
    > It won't close and claims Explorer is not responding when I try to
    > close it.

    No these aren't your errors, these are errors in your Windows system, as
    are the others probably.

    > Nah. The fact of the matter is that there has been no user error here.
    > You don't want to admit it, but your precious Microsoft Explorer
    > simply isn't perfect, much as you wish it were.

    I don't have these problems and I suspect other's don't, which is why no
    one has posted solutions. Your problem is likely to be corrupt files,
    trojans or similar perturbing factors. Sort them out and the problems
    should go away. SFC /scannow (from a 'dosbox') wuth a space before the /
    would be a good start to replace any corrupted files. Spybot and others
    for trojans and things. Regcleaner to clean the registry and a cleanup
    by hand of temporary files

  18. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:

    >I'm NOT doing "it" wrong.

    Of course you are. As of now you're not even able to provide the vital
    basic information which is needed. Since you consider yourself to be so
    clever, figure out yourself what is required.

    >* Scrolling problem one: dropping a file into an open Explorer window
    >sometimes inserts it where dropped and sometimes puts it at the end of
    >the list instead. Try it a few times and see for yourself. It's
    >completely random. Nothing is being done incorrectly -- how can it be?
    >It's point and click!

    Yes, and you're managing to do even that wrong. Congratulations. I've
    been moving files with Explorer for roughly ten years now, and if they
    don't end up where I wanted them, it was because I made a mistake.

    As did you.

    >* Scrolling problem two: extending a selection. Try this: open an
    >explorer window with enough files to require scrolling. Click the top
    >file, scroll a ways down, and go to shift-click or control-click another
    >file. Fairly often, the moment you hit the shift or control key and
    >before you even make the second click, the window will jump all the way
    >back to the top all by itself. Again, there's no operator error here --
    >it should be just point and click.

    Bull**** again. I can't count how often I did that. If something went
    wrong, it was always my fault. I'm honest enough, even to myself, to
    admit when I did something wrong instead of blaming the application or
    whatnos.

    >* Selecting some folders, including C:\Documents and Settings\All
    >Users\Start Menu, hangs Explorer. This is also very easy to reproduce. I
    >just did it again -- I used the start menu to open "My Computer", picked
    >"C", picked "Documents and Settings", picked "All Users" (all with
    >double-clicks), and then clicked "Start Menu". Start Menu didn't select,
    >and I quickly verified that it's not possible to select anything or open
    >any menus in that window. It won't maximize. It won't close and claims
    >Explorer is not responding when I try to close it. If I'm lying, I'm
    >dying...and again I don't see any kind of pilot error here. I navigated
    >in a perfectly legitimate way from my start menu to the folder in
    >question and clicked on it; that is all. How exactly am I "doing it
    >wrong"? Tell me -- was it clicking the start button?

    You could just try to right-click the Start button and try it from
    there. Again, there's vital information missing.

    >Nah. The fact of the matter is that there has been no user error here.

    Once more you're in no position to pass such a judgment.

    >You don't want to admit it, but your precious Microsoft Explorer simply
    >isn't perfect, much as you wish it were.

    Precious? I'm well aware of its shortcomings. I would like it to better,
    which it isn't. I learned to live with that, unlike a certain person
    who's desperately trying to blame everything else for his own troubles.

    >But please do quit insulting me and launching into
    >tirades on irrelevant side topics.

    You aren't even remotely aware how insulting YOU are in your boundless
    self-righteousness. Being clueless is one thing, not wanting to admit it
    something entirely different.

    >I may have asked some questions that
    >make you uncomfortable by challenging your certainty of Explorer's
    >unassailable state of perfection, but what the hey, I'm only the
    >messenger. Shooting me isn't going to change anything, least of all the
    >truth of what I had to say.

    Truth? Challenging my certainty? Perfection? You have NO idea whatsoever
    what you're talking about. No, it must be Windows doing it wrong. Can't
    be anything else, no, never, not in a lifetime.

    Right.

    JK'07

  19. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright wrote:
    >
    >>I'm NOT doing "it" wrong.

    > Of course you are. As of now you're not even able to provide the vital
    > basic information which is needed. Since you consider yourself to be so
    > clever, figure out yourself what is required.

    You're not even making sense.

    >>* Scrolling problem one: dropping a file into an open Explorer window
    >>sometimes inserts it where dropped and sometimes puts it at the end of
    >>the list instead. Try it a few times and see for yourself. It's
    >>completely random. Nothing is being done incorrectly -- how can it be?
    >>It's point and click!

    > Yes, and you're managing to do even that wrong. Congratulations. I've
    > been moving files with Explorer for roughly ten years now, and if they
    > don't end up where I wanted them, it was because I made a mistake.
    >
    > As did you.

    Explain what you do differently then. I get one folder window open side
    by side with another. I click one file and, holding the left button,
    move the mouse until the pointer (with file attached) is over the other
    window and the black I-beam is where I intend to drop the file (usually
    next to one I intend to compare it with in some way). Then I release the
    left button. 90% of the time or so it behaves as expected, and the file
    appears exactly where it should. The other 10% of the time it goes to
    the end of the list, the window scrolls down to the end to show it, and
    I did exactly the same thing on those occasions as the other 9/10 of the
    time. Trust me, I am not doing anything wrong or even unusual here.

    >>* Scrolling problem two: extending a selection. Try this: open an
    >>explorer window with enough files to require scrolling. Click the top
    >>file, scroll a ways down, and go to shift-click or control-click another
    >>file. Fairly often, the moment you hit the shift or control key and
    >>before you even make the second click, the window will jump all the way
    >>back to the top all by itself. Again, there's no operator error here --
    >>it should be just point and click.

    > Bull**** again. I can't count how often I did that. If something went
    > wrong, it was always my fault. I'm honest enough, even to myself, to
    > admit when I did something wrong instead of blaming the application or
    > whatnos.

    Really. Again there's no way I'm getting anything wrong. Try it
    yourself: open a folder window with enough files to require scrolling;
    click one of the files; scroll until that file is out of view; then hit
    shift or control. Much of the time it will jump back to the file you'd
    selected earlier. If you're trying to extend a selection, and you just
    spent a while locating the second file to click, it's easy to see how
    that can be extremely annoying.

    > You could just try to right-click the Start button and try it from
    > there. Again, there's vital information missing.

    Such as?

    >>Nah. The fact of the matter is that there has been no user error here.

    > Once more you're in no position to pass such a judgment.

    Yes, I am. You certainly are not, however, unless you were watching over
    my shoulder at the time and know better than I do how the software is
    supposed to behave.

    > Precious? I'm well aware of its shortcomings. I would like it to better,
    > which it isn't. I learned to live with that, unlike a certain person
    > who's desperately trying to blame everything else for his own troubles.

    People "learning to live with" buggy or misbehaving software instead of
    configuring it to behave better or complaining to the manufacturer are
    part of the problem. As far as I can tell, there's a general culture of
    accepting shoddy products, shoddy service, and rude and snobby "advice"
    from IT types and software and computer companies. Even for fairly
    pricey products, and then the high prices also seem to go without
    question. Even when the high price is attached to a plastic disc that
    might have cost them all of ten cents a disk to get in bulk and print in
    bulk, or even a download that costs almost nothing to transmit.

    Obviously we're not paying these high prices for the discs or download
    bandwidth. I thought the theory was that we were paying for the cost of
    developing and maintaining quality software and supporting it
    subsequently, but given the dubious quality, persistent never-fixed
    bugs, and shoddy (often pay-extra) support, I don't think that washes.

    So what ARE we paying for? And who is paying you to be boorish to anyone
    who comes in here asking for help configuring Windows and Explorer?

    > You aren't even remotely aware how insulting YOU are in your boundless
    > self-righteousness.

    This posting, the one you are replying to, and the vast majority of the
    others I wrote here are far more civil and even-toned than anything I've
    ever seen you write.

    > Being clueless is one thing, not wanting to admit it something entirely
    > different.

    What cluelessness are we discussing again? We're talking unexpected and
    inconsistent responses to plain old clicking and dragging here, not
    rocket science. There isn't any scope for user error. If I did drag a
    file to a particular place I wanted it but missed, it should still land
    close by, and certainly in the region shown in the window at the time.
    If it lands somewhere where IT HAS TO SCROLL DOWN THREE PAGES TO SHOW ME
    then not only did I apparently "miss" by a bigger distance than the
    height of my monitor, but the window somehow knew the file was meant for
    it despite its being dropped, apparently, not only not in that window at
    all, but not in the next one down, or on the taskbar, but somewhere
    below the taskbar, and indeed somewhere around halfway between the desk
    surface and the floor. I'd like to see you explain how I managed such a
    feat when supposedly missing and not dropping the file where I wanted to
    put it.

    In any event, what I've observed and described here can certainly only
    be explained in one of three ways.
    * Either I miss sometimes, and actually by a truly huge distance, and
    indeed accidentally drag files off the bottom of the screen and halfway
    to the floor and drop them there, resulting in them ending up three
    pages of icons lower than my target;
    * Or I miss by a smaller amount (possibly zero) and drop the file closer
    to (or at) my intended target, and the file DOES NOT ALWAYS APPEAR WHERE
    IT ACTUALLY WAS DROPPED (even after considering that where I intended to
    drop it and where it actually was dropped might not be identical);
    * Or I'm lying my arse off.

    If you now proceed to come right out and call me a liar, you're joining
    Thana-whatever and Aix in my plonk file.

    > Truth? Challenging my certainty? Perfection? You have NO idea whatsoever
    > what you're talking about. No, it must be Windows doing it wrong. Can't
    > be anything else, no, never, not in a lifetime.

    Explain why the same drag-and-drop file move can do two different
    things, apparently depending on a random number generator to decide
    which? I don't see any logical reason for random behavior in Explorer
    whatsoever. If I'm holding a file over a destination window and Windows
    shows me an I-beam indicating where the file will be dropped, then that
    is the only correct place for the file to appear if I then release the
    mouse button without taking any other actions. In practise that is where
    it actually does appear most of the time. I am asking why it does not do
    so 100% of the time. I don't see how that can be the result of my
    mis-piloting the interface. If there is anything I need to do
    differently, it must be a configuration or registry tweak rather than
    something in the actual drag-and-drop move. In which case just come out
    and say so, and tell me what configuration or registry tweak. That is
    what I came here asking in the first place!

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  20. Re: Unnavigable folders

    Phil Cartwright wrote:

    [A load of ****]

    Now listen well. For now, I don't call you a liar but an out-and-out
    idiot.

    Since you're whining about problems obviously only you have, here's a
    number of hints.

    For any demander of support of this kind, there are simple rules to be
    followed for providing certain information, such as...

    Operating system version
    Patch level
    Hardware (mainboard, chipset, graphics card, memory yadda yadda yadda)
    Driver versions
    and so on

    What you completely fail to understand is that others don't have your
    problems, so it can't be caused by Windows. This is a most basic
    deduction, so simple that even you should be able to do it. I can't
    begin to count how many times on how many machines I've rummaged around
    in the All Users start menu without ever experiencing problems, let
    alone those you describe.

    Face it, moron. The error happens at your end of the line. No matter how
    much you will write about it not being your fault, it won't change it
    into a Windows problem. Either you or your equipment. Of course I'm
    having a hunch what's coming now. "My equipment is perfectly fine!"
    Right.

    What you've been doing so far is like a phone call to a random car
    dealer, bitching about how your car wouldn't do what you want it to do,
    without actually saying anything about brand, model, engine, year.

    JK'07

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast