losing free space on my hard drive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on losing free space on my hard drive - Microsoft Windows ; My problem is a continuous loss of free space on drive C. It does not matter what, if anything, I am doing. As a test, I left the PC alone for 90 minutes - no one touched the computer. After ...

  1. losing free space on my hard drive

    My problem is a continuous loss of free space on drive C. It does not
    matter what, if anything, I am doing. As a test, I left the PC alone
    for 90 minutes - no one touched the computer. After that time, my
    free space on the hard drive was 0.2Gb less.

    I am using Window XP Home edition. I have Norton Anti-Virus, Zone
    Alarm Firewall and Spybot. Windows, Norton and Zone alarm are all set
    to automatically update themselves.

    When I googled the topic, I found that someone had suggested deleting
    the Norton protected files in the recycle bin. I do not know if this
    is safe, (there are over 1100 of them, about 130 are mine) and even if
    it is, it seems it would only be a temporaty help. The problem is not
    how to free up space, but rather how to avoid continually losing free
    space.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: losing free space on my hard drive

    Suggest deleting the following files and folders:

    1) Start/Run=%temp%
    2) C:\Windows\temp
    3) Start/All Programs\System Tools\Disk Cleanup
    4) Empty the Recycle Bin and Norton Protected Files in the Recycle bin
    5) Start/All Programs\System Tools\Disk Defragmenter

    What email client are you using. If not web mail (like gmail)
    then check the buildup of mail fiiles, attachments, etc.

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:41:21 -0500, jlebon@cox.net wrote:

    -|
[...]

  3. Re: losing free space on my hard drive

    Oh yes, I suggest you do this five step processs in Safe Mode.

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:41:34 -0400, Herman D. Knoble
    wrote:

    -|Suggest deleting the following files and folders:
    -|
    -|1) Start/Run=%temp%
    -|2) C:\Windows\temp
    -|3) Start/All Programs\System Tools\Disk Cleanup
    -|4) Empty the Recycle Bin and Norton Protected Files in the Recycle bin
    -|5) Start/All Programs\System Tools\Disk Defragmenter
    -|
    -|What email client are you using. If not web mail (like gmail)
    -|then check the buildup of mail fiiles, attachments, etc.
    -|
    -|Skip Knoble, Penn State
    -|
    -|
    -|On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:41:21 -0500, jlebon@cox.net wrote:
    -|
    -|-|
[...]

  4. Re: losing free space on my hard drive

    Herman D. Knoble wrote in

    > Oh yes, I suggest you do this five step processs in Safe
    > Mode.
    >
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:41:34 -0400, Herman D. Knoble
    > wrote:
    >
    > -|Suggest deleting the following files and folders:
    > -|
    > -|1) Start/Run=%temp%
    > -|2) C:\Windows\temp
    > -|3) Start/All Programs\System Tools\Disk Cleanup
    > -|4) Empty the Recycle Bin and Norton Protected Files in
    > the Recycle bin -|5) Start/All Programs\System Tools\Disk
    > Defragmenter -|
    > -|What email client are you using. If not web mail (like
    > gmail) -|then check the buildup of mail fiiles,
    > attachments, etc. -|
    > -|Skip Knoble, Penn State
    > -|
    > -|
    > -|On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:41:21 -0500, jlebon@cox.net wrote:
    > -|
    > -|-|
    > -|-|My problem is a continuous loss of free space on drive
    > C. It does not -|-|matter what, if anything, I am doing.
    > As a test, I left the PC alone -|-|for 90 minutes - no one
    > touched the computer. After that time, my -|-|free space
    > on the hard drive was 0.2Gb less. -|-|
    > -|-|I am using Window XP Home edition. I have Norton
    > Anti-Virus, Zone -|-|Alarm Firewall and Spybot. Windows,
    > Norton and Zone alarm are all set -|-|to automatically
    > update themselves. -|-|
    > -|-|When I googled the topic, I found that someone had
    > suggested deleting -|-|the Norton protected files in the
    > recycle bin. I do not know if this -|-|is safe, (there are
    > over 1100 of them, about 130 are mine) and even if -|-|it
    > is, it seems it would only be a temporaty help. The problem
    > is not -|-|how to free up space, but rather how to avoid
    > continually losing free -|-|space.
    > -|-|
    > -|-|Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Your advice is good but I have a feeling someone could be
    playing with his computer without his knowledge.

    OP: Just for the heck of it, disconnect the computer from the
    internet for a few hours and see what the free space situation
    is afterwards.

    If the space continues to shrink, you have a trojan or virus or
    some of the settings in some of your programs should be changed.
    You may need expert hands-on help with this.

    BTW, NOTHING should ever be set to automatically update itself.
    You might as well install Vista. Remember a year or so ago when
    McAfee's "virus def. update" wiped a bunch of data from
    computers all over the world?

    --
    Everyone who installs Vista is insane.

  5. Re: losing free space on my hard drive

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:41:21 -0500, jlebon@cox.net wrote:

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I followed your advice, with no
    results.

    As long as Norton Anti Virus is unable to find the virus, I don't see
    where there is anything I can do.

    Very frustrating. Thanks again Bill Gates for another quality
    product.

    >My problem is a continuous loss of free space on drive C. It does not
    >matter what, if anything, I am doing. As a test, I left the PC alone
    >for 90 minutes - no one touched the computer. After that time, my
    >free space on the hard drive was 0.2Gb less.
    >
    >I am using Window XP Home edition. I have Norton Anti-Virus, Zone
    >Alarm Firewall and Spybot. Windows, Norton and Zone alarm are all set
    >to automatically update themselves.
    >
    >When I googled the topic, I found that someone had suggested deleting
    >the Norton protected files in the recycle bin. I do not know if this
    >is safe, (there are over 1100 of them, about 130 are mine) and even if
    >it is, it seems it would only be a temporaty help. The problem is not
    >how to free up space, but rather how to avoid continually losing free
    >space.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread