Windows XP file name length limit - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows XP file name length limit - Microsoft Windows ; I will now report on two facts: 1. The //?/ suggestion doesn't work at all. E.g. limewire downloads a file that's undeletable, unmovable etc. due to its length and ren "//?/path/file" shorterFileName doesn't work. Nor does move "//?/path/file" "C:\dir\short name" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Windows XP file name length limit

    I will now report on two facts:

    1. The //?/ suggestion doesn't work at all. E.g. limewire downloads a
    file that's undeletable, unmovable etc. due to its length and

    ren "//?/path/file" shorterFileName

    doesn't work. Nor does

    move "//?/path/file" "C:\dir\short name"

    This is odd, since the shell autocompletes properly if I type the
    beginning, e.g.

    ren "//?/path/f"

    and hit tab, the rest of the ludicrously long file name is inserted, and
    it even adds the open quotation mark if omitted, as well as the closing
    one, if the name or path has spaces.

    What DID work was this:

    subst X: "C:\path"
    X:
    ren SHORTN~1.EXT foo.ext

    where SHORTN~1.EXT was the 8.3 name for the file (found with dir /x).

    foo.ext could then be dealt with normally (in this case, it proved to be
    an intact and valid file in the expected format, in fact, and is now
    moveable, deletable, and useable properly).

    Just for the use of anyone else who runs across this thread.

    It looks like Windows only partially supports the //?/ thing, or it
    doesn't actually change the limits at all but just allows something
    else, like wide characters in the pathname or something.

    The subst thing should work as long as the file name by itself isn't
    over 256 characters.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  2. Re: Windows XP file name length limit

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:16:28 -0400, Phil Cartwright
    wrote:

    >I will now report on two facts:
    >
    >1. The //?/ suggestion doesn't work at all. E.g. limewire downloads a
    >file that's undeletable, unmovable etc. due to its length and

    Wrong slashes. It's /, not \
    E.g., \\?\E:\Temp

    Tested it with REN and MOVE in WinXP-SP2.

  3. Re: Windows XP file name length limit

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:16:28 -0400, Phil Cartwright
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I will now report on two facts:
    >>
    >>1. The //?/ suggestion doesn't work at all. E.g. limewire downloads a
    >>file that's undeletable, unmovable etc. due to its length and

    > Wrong slashes. It's /, not \
    > E.g., \\?\E:\Temp
    >
    > Tested it with REN and MOVE in WinXP-SP2.

    Er, you're contradicting yourself there. Anyway, I had them the right
    way around to judge by the autocomplete doing its thing properly. And
    besides, the subst trick definitely *does* work.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  4. Re: Windows XP file name length limit

    Phil Cartwright wrote in

    > Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:16:28 -0400, Phil Cartwright
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I will now report on two facts:
    >>>
    >>>1. The //?/ suggestion doesn't work at all. E.g. limewire
    >>>downloads a file that's undeletable, unmovable etc. due to
    >>>its length and

    >> Wrong slashes. It's /, not \
    >> E.g., \\?\E:\Temp
    >>
    >> Tested it with REN and MOVE in WinXP-SP2.

    > Er, you're contradicting yourself there. Anyway, I had them
    > the right way around to judge by the autocomplete doing its
    > thing properly. And besides, the subst trick definitely
    > *does* work.

    Here we go again. What fun.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

  5. Re: Windows XP file name length limit

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:10:25 -0400, Phil Cartwright
    wrote:

    >Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:16:28 -0400, Phil Cartwright
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I will now report on two facts:
    >>>
    >>>1. The //?/ suggestion doesn't work at all. E.g. limewire downloads a
    >>>file that's undeletable, unmovable etc. due to its length and

    >> Wrong slashes. It's /, not \
    >> E.g., \\?\E:\Temp
    >>
    >> Tested it with REN and MOVE in WinXP-SP2.

    >Er, you're contradicting yourself there. Anyway, I had them the right
    >way around to judge by the autocomplete doing its thing properly. And
    >besides, the subst trick definitely *does* work.

    Heheh, I guess am. That's what I get for posting when I'm still
    half-asleep ;-)

    Anyway, direction of the slashes aside, COPY and REN (and presumably
    other commands) *do* work.

    Subst may be useful as well, but not if you have an lot of
    really-long-directories.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2