WordPad problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on WordPad problem - Microsoft Windows ; On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:07:54 -0700, "jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk" wrote: >On Jun 12, 2:18 am, dh@. wrote: >> I made some WordPad documents using Windows 98 and WordPad. Then I >> loaded them into another computer that uses Windows xp version ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: WordPad problem

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:07:54 -0700, "jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk" wrote:

    >On Jun 12, 2:18 am, dh@. wrote:
    >> I made some WordPad documents using Windows 98 and WordPad. Then I
    >> loaded them into another computer that uses Windows xp version 5.1. They
    >> appeared to load okay, but when I try to open them I get the message:
    >>
    >> Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files.
    >>
    >> What's up with that? Do later versions of WordPad not recognise things
    >> done using earlier versions, or what?

    >Windows XP is Windows NT v5.1 (the 5.1 is mentioned in
    >start..run..msinfo32)
    >
    >There is no such thing as your term.

    Which term it that?

    >Anyhow, something screwed up. Try to repeat the problem if you're
    >interested finding what the problem was, the root of it. But to just
    >solve your problem. You have a file you want to open.
    >
    >If you don't have Ms Word, try Word Viewer.
    >It's free and should open anything from word, wordpad, whatever. Just
    >as Word would.
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    >
    >Like Word, it can open documents saved in earlier versions of Word.
    >
    >You can then click edit..select all, and Copy,paste. The text into
    >your word processor e.g. wordpad.

    It still seems that there must be some way of getting WordPad to
    open WordPad documents...

  2. Re: WordPad problem

    On 13 Jun 2007 06:11:58 GMT, thanatoid wrote:

    >dh@. wrote in
    >

    >> What does a person have
    >> to do to get WordPad to open WordPad files?

    >Why do you think there are about 200,000 NotePad and WordPad and
    >Word replacements, almost all of which are smaller, faster,
    >better (many are also free), and which don't get you in this
    >kind of mess with a product made by a company which purposely
    >makes a new version of a major program incompatible with the
    >previous one thereby forcing everyone to buy the new version?

    I didn't know they did that nasty crap, and in fact use WordPad
    specifically trying to avoid such problems since it seems like
    every PC should be able to deal with WordPad and NotePad.

    >Unless you are doing serious DTP or pre-print or printing fancy
    >stuff at home for whatever reasons, you should always use txt
    >and txt only.

    That's what I do when I'm only keeping up with plain text.

    >Every computer on Earth can read it, it's 20-50
    >times smaller than the doc format, it's faster and it never
    >causes any trouble.
    >
    >I strongly recommend you try NoteTab Light, it's free and you
    >will not believe what it can do.
    >
    >http://www.notetab.com
    >
    >BTW, if you rename your files to whatever01.txt (etc) and open
    >them in Notepad (unless they're too big, in which case just DL
    >the above mentioned program) you should be able to extract the
    >text. It'll be a hassle but that's the price.
    >
    >95% of a doc format file has nothing to do with the word
    >content. But Word does like to include snippets of sentences you
    >*thought* you deleted,

    I never use Word, and never have used it.

    >your name (even if you had no intention
    >of having it there), and other more or less interesting things.
    >Great product.

    I'm just trying to get WordPad to open WordPad documents,
    and still have hopes that someone can tell me how to do it.

  3. Re: WordPad problem

    On 20 Jun, 21:01, dh@. wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:07:54 -0700, "jameshanle...@yahoo.co.uk" wrote:
    > >On Jun 12, 2:18 am, dh@. wrote:
    > >> I made some WordPad documents using Windows 98 and WordPad. Then I
    > >> loaded them into another computer that uses Windows xp version 5.1. They
    > >> appeared to load okay, but when I try to open them I get the message:

    > >> Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files.

    > >> What's up with that? Do later versions of WordPad not recognise things
    > >> done using earlier versions, or what?

    > >Windows XP is Windows NT v5.1 (the 5.1 is mentioned in
    > >start..run..msinfo32)

    > >There is no such thing as your term.

    > Which term it that?

    I didn't want to repeat it

    you wrote 'windows xp version 5.1' <-- and that's wrong !!

    There's NT 5.1.
    NT 5.0 is win 2k
    NT 5.1 is Win xp
    NT 5.2 is 2k3

    But NT 5.1 is not a version of XP. It is XP.

    Nevertheless, somebody that KNOWINGLY writes what you also write you
    wrote "word for windows 6.0" <-- that's really dumb. Somebody that
    writes that is really beyond reason. I don't think you'll see out of
    your tunnel. You don't have an organised mind. You mix things up and
    it means nothing to you.

    infact, you also write
    "Word for Windows 6.0" . Now that's misleading, but I don't mind
    repeating it 'cos the damage has already been done. In the days of
    windows 3.1, secretaries were buying a dummy or idiot guide to
    wordperfect 5.2 I think it was an idiot guide. It was yellow, not
    blue. The book was titled something like. "WordPerfect for Windows
    5.2" But it was worse than that, 'cos it was for windows 3.1. It
    caused a whole load of secretaries to think they were learning windows
    5.2 and wordperfect 3.1. I thought that misleading terminology was
    in the past, and even then, it was with wordperfect, not word.
    It's Word 6 or 95 or 7 or 97 or 2000 or 2003. And which versions of
    windows they work on is another matter. I think 2003 requires win xp
    sp2 or something.. Word 2000 will work in windows 98. They aren't
    stuck in a windows version, unless that particular version of office
    has an issue.

    > >Anyhow, something screwed up. Try to repeat the problem if you're
    > >interested finding what the problem was, the root of it. But to just
    > >solve your problem. You have a file you want to open.

    > >If you don't have Ms Word, try Word Viewer.
    > >It's free and should open anything from word, wordpad, whatever. Just
    > >as Word would.
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d=95E24C87-873...

    > >Like Word, it can open documents saved in earlier versions of Word.

    > >You can then click edit..select all, and Copy,paste. The text into
    > >your word processor e.g. wordpad.

    > It still seems that there must be some way of getting WordPad to
    > open WordPad documents...

    If this is just some odd issue, then your idea just doesn't follow..

    I'm willing to bet that wordpad does open wordpad documents, across
    windows versions.

    For example. THere was once an ugly as hell, greedy, ram eating
    programming IDE called jbuilder.. for writing java programs. (this
    was before better ones like IDEA, or the more generic, Eclipse).

    I found that when putting the files onto a disk, it may have been an
    iomega zip disk, or may have been a floppy disk. I can't remember. But
    it was a disk. And transferring the files to another computer. The
    files screwed up. When opening the jbuilder project, all the package
    names were displayed in capital letters, and the program wouldn't
    run. The only option within jbuilder was to rewrite bits of the
    code..
    Somebody else had had exactly the same problem, years ago and asked in
    a forum. He had had no reply. I emailed him and asked him if he had
    found an answer. He said yes "transfer them over the network" that
    works. Lo and behold, that worked.

    This wasn't a standard issue. Almost nobody else had run into it. It
    wasn't an issue of - well, jbuilder should be able to do it. Because
    computers aren't like that. With standard problems, there are standard
    convenient solutions or fixes. With non-standard problems, the
    workarounds may not be convenient, things aren't so well documented.

    moving data from one comp to another is a standard procedure. That
    doesn't mean that any problem that occurs with that is a standard
    problem.

    But don't try to define this as a standard problem. Wordpad does open
    wordpad documents. But something ODD is happening along the way,
    during the procedure, that is causing a problem.

    You could do investigations to find out why. i.e. what is happening.

    Or you could just use a workaround.

    If people here can reproduce the problem, then they may be able to
    solve it.
    The basis of solving a problem is reproducing it. (That's why
    intermittent problems are a nuisance). Maybe somebody has win98 or
    has it on a virtual machine and is willing to look into it. Or give it
    a try.. But it may work for them.

    You have to realise that alot of things go on with computers. Problems
    are caused by very low level things. They aren't obvious. They have
    to be solved. Troubleshooting has to be done. In many cases, people
    have done it before, seen the problem,. and can save you the
    trouble. Posting to a newsgroup improves the chance of getting help
    that way. I think you're looking at this wrongly.

    Use the workaround.

    and/or try to look into what is happening. And remember, if people
    can't reproduce your problem then there isn't much they can do to
    troubleshoot it on their own machine.

    i'd just consider the workaround as a solution. There are enough
    problems. And there are interesting things to look into!

    If you can be bothered you could look at the file in a hex editor on a
    system that can read it. And on one that can't. Maybe copy wordpad.exe
    from one machine to another.

    But the way you're going about this isn't getting anywhere. It's
    almost as bad as somebody I knew who stood for 5 minutes by a door and
    whined "why is the door open", and that wasn't the first time they'd
    whined about it.

  4. Re: WordPad problem

    dh@.> wrote in message news:kt1j7397bh8odptul6a7o54oqqa0rqj0k1@4ax.com...
    > On 13 Jun 2007 06:11:58 GMT, thanatoid wrote:
    >
    > >dh@. wrote in
    > >

    > >> What does a person have
    > >> to do to get WordPad to open WordPad files?

    > >Why do you think there are about 200,000 NotePad and WordPad and
    > >Word replacements, almost all of which are smaller, faster,
    > >better (many are also free), and which don't get you in this
    > >kind of mess with a product made by a company which purposely
    > >makes a new version of a major program incompatible with the
    > >previous one thereby forcing everyone to buy the new version?

    > I didn't know they did that nasty crap, and in fact use WordPad
    > specifically trying to avoid such problems since it seems like
    > every PC should be able to deal with WordPad and NotePad.
    >
    > >Unless you are doing serious DTP or pre-print or printing fancy
    > >stuff at home for whatever reasons, you should always use txt
    > >and txt only.

    > That's what I do when I'm only keeping up with plain text.
    >
    > >Every computer on Earth can read it, it's 20-50
    > >times smaller than the doc format, it's faster and it never
    > >causes any trouble.
    > >
    > >I strongly recommend you try NoteTab Light, it's free and you
    > >will not believe what it can do.
    > >
    > >http://www.notetab.com
    > >
    > >BTW, if you rename your files to whatever01.txt (etc) and open
    > >them in Notepad (unless they're too big, in which case just DL
    > >the above mentioned program) you should be able to extract the
    > >text. It'll be a hassle but that's the price.
    > >
    > >95% of a doc format file has nothing to do with the word
    > >content. But Word does like to include snippets of sentences you
    > >*thought* you deleted,

    > I never use Word, and never have used it.
    >
    > >your name (even if you had no intention
    > >of having it there), and other more or less interesting things.
    > >Great product.

    > I'm just trying to get WordPad to open WordPad documents,
    > and still have hopes that someone can tell me how to do it.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883090

    Ben

  5. Re: WordPad problem

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883090

    Why are "RTF converters" disabled by default "by design" if it causes
    problems? More typical MS stupidity I suppose?

    P.S. DO NOT write news articles that cannot be replied to by a
    straightforward "click reply, type response, click send" process.

    I did the thing I usually do to compose and send a response and got
    rudely told I was missing a required header. If a required header was
    missing, it was obviously missing from YOUR message, in order to be
    missing from my reply.

    I don't like being slapped down by some uppity machine because I
    supposedly did something wrong or didn't do something required when in
    fact it was someone else's mistake. I not only dislike being blamed for
    things that are not my fault, I also dislike having to do something over
    again instead of it working the first time!

    Gratuitously inconvenience me again and you will be sorry. My question
    is perfectly legitimate. Do not obstruct my asking it.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  6. virus start-up problem

    Hi,

    We have a computer with a virus. At first it was just annoying
    and slow, but now it (or something) shuts the computer down
    as soon as it boots up. It's running Windows 2000, and I tried
    starting it in safe mode by tapping F8 during boot-up, but was
    never given the option. Is there a different way of getting into
    safe mode than by doing that? I'm hoping it can be started in
    safe mode and then run a virus scan...

    Thanks for any help,
    David

  7. Re: virus start-up problem

    dshnavits@.snurgle writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a computer with a virus. At first it was just annoying
    > and slow, but now it (or something) shuts the computer down
    > as soon as it boots up. It's running Windows 2000, and I tried
    > starting it in safe mode by tapping F8 during boot-up, but was
    > never given the option. Is there a different way of getting into
    > safe mode than by doing that? I'm hoping it can be started in
    > safe mode and then run a virus scan...

    Your time will be much better spent removing the disk drive, putting
    it into a known clean machine, pulling your data off the drive,
    reinstalling the drive into the original machine, and reinstalling
    windows from original media including repartitioning and reformating
    of the drive.

    Once you've been comprimised by a piece of malware, you can't trust
    the machine again, even if one or two antivirus programs detect and
    claim to have removed viruses. AV programs by their
    signature-recognition design don't know about all possible malware,
    and there are plenty that even if they can detect, they can't reliably
    clean all remnants or permutations from.

    At best you'll get a clean but subtly broken/unreliably machine. At
    worst, you'll still be part of a botnet with someone else owning your
    machine.

    You can spend hours and hours down teh wormhole trying to bandaid the
    situation, or you can invest a fixed number of hours in reinstalling
    the operating system. In my experience, you're much better off
    doing the latter. You'll end up at a known point with a machine you
    can trust.

    Be sure to be behind a hardware firewall or disconnected while
    installing, and behind a hardware firewall while downloading and
    applying all windows updates, lest you get reinfected within an
    average of about 20minutes (sans.org updates these stats) while
    connected to the net with an unpatched Windows machine.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: virus start-up problem

    David: try booting in Safe Mode and then run an up-to-date antivirus
    application and do a system restore back in time before the virus
    was installed.

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:39:55 -0400, dshnavits@.snurgle wrote:

    -|Hi,
    -|
    -|We have a computer with a virus. At first it was just annoying
    -|and slow, but now it (or something) shuts the computer down
    -|as soon as it boots up. It's running Windows 2000, and I tried
    -|starting it in safe mode by tapping F8 during boot-up, but was
    -|never given the option. Is there a different way of getting into
    -|safe mode than by doing that? I'm hoping it can be started in
    -|safe mode and then run a virus scan...
    -|
    -|Thanks for any help,
    -|David

  9. Re: virus start-up problem

    Herman D. Knoble wrote:

    > David: try booting in Safe Mode and then run an up-to-date
    > antivirus application and do a system restore back in time before
    > the virus was installed.

    You miss this part?

    It's running Windows 2000, and I tried starting it in safe mode by
    tapping F8 during boot-up, but was never given the option. Is there a
    different way of getting into safe mode than by doing that? I'm
    hoping it can be started in safe mode and then run a virus scan.

    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:39:55 -0400, dshnavits@.snurgle wrote:
    >
    > -|Hi,
    > -|
    > -|We have a computer with a virus. At first it was just annoying
    > -|and slow, but now it (or something) shuts the computer down
    > -|as soon as it boots up. It's running Windows 2000, and I tried
    > -|starting it in safe mode by tapping F8 during boot-up, but was
    > -|never given the option. Is there a different way of getting into
    > -|safe mode than by doing that? I'm hoping it can be started in
    > -|safe mode and then run a virus scan...
    > -|
    > -|Thanks for any help,
    > -|David

  10. Re: virus start-up problem

    dshnavits@.snurgle wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a computer with a virus. At first it was just
    > annoying and slow, but now it (or something) shuts the
    > computer down as soon as it boots up. It's running Windows
    > 2000, and I tried starting it in safe mode by tapping F8
    > during boot-up, but was never given the option. Is there a
    > different way of getting into safe mode than by doing that?
    > I'm hoping it can be started in safe mode and then run a
    > virus scan...
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > David

    Don't do anything. You didn't do anything when you first
    realized you had a virus, so who do something now? Trust it to
    continue doing its thing and we will all be happier as a result.

    A few weeks from now you might want to donate the computer to
    Salvation Army or something, just tell them to fix it before
    they sell it.

    YOU should be watching TV.

    Incredible.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

  11. Re: virus start-up problem

    dshnavits@.snurgle wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a computer with a virus. At first it was just annoying
    > and slow, but now it (or something) shuts the computer down
    > as soon as it boots up. It's running Windows 2000, and I tried
    > starting it in safe mode by tapping F8 during boot-up, but was
    > never given the option. Is there a different way of getting into
    > safe mode than by doing that? I'm hoping it can be started in
    > safe mode and then run a virus scan...
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > David

    Did you make yourself an Emergency Repair disk? If you did you have just discovered what it was for.
    Have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231777
    If you don't have a disk you probably need to find a Windows 2000 forum to see if someone can help
    you there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2