Fixing the MBR after copying HDD contents - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Fixing the MBR after copying HDD contents - Microsoft Windows ; Im trying to make a backup of my computer, and because my vista installation doesnt have a install DVD, cant at the moment reformat the hard drive without big loss. so If i were to copy the entire hdd contents ...

  1. Fixing the MBR after copying HDD contents

    Im trying to make a backup of my computer, and because my vista
    installation doesnt have a install DVD, cant at the moment reformat
    the hard drive without big loss.

    so
    If i were to copy the entire hdd contents to a dvd after a fresh
    install, (through linux probly cause i can see problems acessing files
    used by the system if done through windows,) would there be any way to
    fix up the MBR and boot sectors etc so that if i copied the files all
    back to the hdd and restarted, the machine would boot into vista like
    nothing had happened...

    I know its do-able and those who disagree arent trying hard enough,

    any info on programs or texts that i should download would be much
    helpful,
    a suggestion of an easier way to solve the problem of no vista dvd
    would also be much appreciated

    thanks

  2. Re: Fixing the MBR after copying HDD contents

    why not use a disk imaging tool to make an image instead of a file copy?

    There are tools that will back up the mbr as well -- i'd use one of those.

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 06:15:58 -0700, mr_guy99493@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Im trying to make a backup of my computer, and because my vista
    >installation doesnt have a install DVD, cant at the moment reformat
    >the hard drive without big loss.
    >
    >so
    >If i were to copy the entire hdd contents to a dvd after a fresh
    >install, (through linux probly cause i can see problems acessing files
    >used by the system if done through windows,) would there be any way to
    >fix up the MBR and boot sectors etc so that if i copied the files all
    >back to the hdd and restarted, the machine would boot into vista like
    >nothing had happened...
    >
    >I know its do-able and those who disagree arent trying hard enough,
    >

    >any info on programs or texts that i should download would be much
    >helpful,
    >a suggestion of an easier way to solve the problem of no vista dvd
    >would also be much appreciated
    >
    >thanks

  3. Re: Fixing the MBR after copying HDD contents

    Linux and dd can get you where you wnat to go. Any bootable linux
    cd (ubuntu's live cd is easy enough to find an iso for) and a
    removable usb storage device should be all you need to copy the mbr
    over.

    Any linux live cd with partimage, however obviates the need to swim
    upstream though.

    http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

    --
    Todd H.