"Access Denied" even with administrator status - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on "Access Denied" even with administrator status - Microsoft Windows ; I am trying to delete a file under the Program Files directory in Win XP Pro SP 2, but I get an "Access Denied" modal dialog box, even though my user name has administrator status. This directory tree seems shows ...

  1. "Access Denied" even with administrator status

    I am trying to delete a file under the Program Files directory in Win
    XP Pro SP 2, but I get an "Access Denied" modal dialog box, even
    though my user name has administrator status. This directory tree
    seems shows up as Read Only in the Properties dialog, but I get the
    same "Access Denied" when I try to remove the read only status.

    I ran into the problem attempting to install MySQL; it was unable to
    write a file all of a sudden during the install process.

    What's going on? How can I get around this and delete old files under
    this directory tree?

  2. Re: "Access Denied" even with administrator status

    Try it in safe mode (logged on as Administrator), or boot to a command prompt with an installation CD and try it.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: "Access Denied" even with administrator status

    Mike Walsh wrote:
    > Try it in safe mode (logged on as Administrator), or boot to a command prompt with an installation CD and try it.
    >
    > linx4phil@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am trying to delete a file under the Program Files directory in Win
    >> XP Pro SP 2, but I get an "Access Denied" modal dialog box, even
    >> though my user name has administrator status. This directory tree
    >> seems shows up as Read Only in the Properties dialog, but I get the
    >> same "Access Denied" when I try to remove the read only status.
    >>
    >> I ran into the problem attempting to install MySQL; it was unable to
    >> write a file all of a sudden during the install process.
    >>
    >> What's going on? How can I get around this and delete old files under
    >> this directory tree?

    Sometimes all it takes is a reboot, to clear whatever lock some process
    may have on the file you're trying to delete. I had that happen to me a
    couple of weeks ago.

  4. Re: "Access Denied" even with administrator status

    possibly a .dll or other system file hasn't been dropped from the ram
    yet.
    usually means its in use
    reboot and try again
    or you can try some of the programs that will help you do it (for
    free; dont buy anything)

    On Jun 9, 10:25 am, linx4p...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to delete a file under the Program Files directory in Win
    > XP Pro SP 2, but I get an "Access Denied" modal dialog box, even
    > though my user name has administrator status. This directory tree
    > seems shows up as Read Only in the Properties dialog, but I get the
    > same "Access Denied" when I try to remove the read only status.
    >
    > I ran into the problem attempting to install MySQL; it was unable to
    > write a file all of a sudden during the install process.
    >
    > What's going on? How can I get around this and delete old files under
    > this directory tree?

+ Reply to Thread