Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs - Microsoft Windows ; Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair console.) All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in any app (Windows Media Player ...

  1. Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs

    Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired
    the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair
    console.)

    All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in
    any app (Windows Media Player 10, IntervideoWinDVD or Nero media
    player.)

    Each application termiantes with the stock "...has encountered a
    problem and needs to close, please tell MS about this problem..."

    Other video files (DivX, DV from carmcorder are all fine for
    playback).

    Any clues?

    TIA
    --
    Mark

  2. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired
    > the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair
    > console.)
    >
    > All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in
    > any app (Windows Media Player 10, IntervideoWinDVD or Nero media
    > player.)
    >
    > Each application termiantes with the stock "...has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close, please tell MS about this problem..."
    >
    > Other video files (DivX, DV from carmcorder are all fine for
    > playback).
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Mark

    Lost your MPEG 2 codec. Reinstall WinDVD

  3. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files andDVDs

    Mark wrote:
    > Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired
    > the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair
    > console.)
    >
    > All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in
    > any app (Windows Media Player 10, IntervideoWinDVD or Nero media
    > player.)
    >
    > Each application termiantes with the stock "...has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close, please tell MS about this problem..."
    >
    > Other video files (DivX, DV from carmcorder are all fine for
    > playback).
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > TIA

    You lost your MPEG2\DVD codec. I'm betting the codec was supplied with
    WinDVD and a reinstall of WinDVD would solve your problem.

  4. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:02:26 +0100, "Trev"
    wrote:

    >"Mark" wrote in message
    >> Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired
    >> the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair
    >> console.)
    >>
    >> All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in
    >> any app (Windows Media Player 10, IntervideoWinDVD or Nero media
    >> player.)
    >>
    >> Each application termiantes with the stock "...has encountered a
    >> problem and needs to close, please tell MS about this problem..."
    >>
    >> Other video files (DivX, DV from carmcorder are all fine for
    >> playback).
    >>
    >> Any clues?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> --
    >> Mark

    >Lost your MPEG 2 codec. Reinstall WinDVD

    WinDVD came as an OEM installation CD with a Ricoh DVD drive that I've
    since replaced with an NEC unit, so I probably can't reinstall the
    app. I recall it detected the manufacturer drive type.

    Can I merely extract the required codec from a backup image (of C
    and easily reinstall that?

    --
    Mark

  5. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:02:26 +0100, "Trev"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Mark" wrote in message
    >>> Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired
    >>> the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair
    >>> console.)
    >>>
    >>> All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in
    >>> any app (Windows Media Player 10, IntervideoWinDVD or Nero media
    >>> player.)
    >>>
    >>> Each application termiantes with the stock "...has encountered a
    >>> problem and needs to close, please tell MS about this problem..."
    >>>
    >>> Other video files (DivX, DV from carmcorder are all fine for
    >>> playback).
    >>>
    >>> Any clues?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> --
    >>> Mark

    >>Lost your MPEG 2 codec. Reinstall WinDVD

    > WinDVD came as an OEM installation CD with a Ricoh DVD drive that I've
    > since replaced with an NEC unit, so I probably can't reinstall the
    > app. I recall it detected the manufacturer drive type.
    >
    > Can I merely extract the required codec from a backup image (of C
    > and easily reinstall that?

    If you have a full Nero That also has a MPEG 2 codec.
    The Codec is a pay for one So you cant just download it
    Maybe arepair of win dvd

  6. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM in a system upgrade. Then Repaired
    > the existing XP Home installation. ("Install> Repair" not repair
    > console.)
    >
    > All is fine except I now can't play standalone MPEG2 files or DVDs in
    > any app (Windows Media Player 10, IntervideoWinDVD or Nero media
    > player.)
    >
    > Each application termiantes with the stock "...has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close, please tell MS about this problem..."
    >
    > Other video files (DivX, DV from carmcorder are all fine for
    > playback).
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Mark

    do you have a copy of power dvd lying around? even an old one...load this
    and it will give you the mpg2 codec

  7. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files and DVDs

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:43:03 +0100, "Trev"
    wrote:

    >"Mark" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:02:26 +0100, "Trev"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mark" wrote in message

    >>>Lost your MPEG 2 codec. Reinstall WinDVD

    >> WinDVD came as an OEM installation CD with a Ricoh DVD drive that I've
    >> since replaced with an NEC unit, so I probably can't reinstall the
    >> app. I recall it detected the manufacturer drive type.
    >>
    >> Can I merely extract the required codec from a backup image (of C
    >> and easily reinstall that?
    >>

    > If you have a full Nero That also has a MPEG 2 codec.
    >The Codec is a pay for one So you cant just download it
    >Maybe arepair of win dvd

    Reinstalling the full Nero MP didn't help, dunno why
    But a full install of WinDVD did :-)

    Thx for all the help

    --
    Mark

  8. Re: Upgrade and XP repair has left PC unable to play MPG files andDVDs

    Mark wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:43:03 +0100, "Trev"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Mark" wrote in message

    >>> WinDVD came as an OEM installation CD with a Ricoh DVD drive that I've
    >>> since replaced with an NEC unit, so I probably can't reinstall the
    >>> app. I recall it detected the manufacturer drive type.
    >>>
    >>> Can I merely extract the required codec from a backup image (of C
    >>> and easily reinstall that?
    >>>

    >> If you have a full Nero That also has a MPEG 2 codec.
    >> The Codec is a pay for one So you cant just download it
    >> Maybe arepair of win dvd
    >>

    > Reinstalling the full Nero MP didn't help, dunno why
    > But a full install of WinDVD did :-)
    >
    > Thx for all the help

    for future reference also keep in mind that MS windows media player 9 (and 10, 11)
    have codec packs for download /update (in case of 10 na d11 you need to reinstall WMP
    to get DVD playback). WMP "should" also automatically download the appropriate codec
    as needed.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...&qstechnology=

    There are also numerous open source choices such as videolan and democracy player

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

    Not to mention a whole heap of codec packs to choose from - heck, CSS is dead (see
    Finland court ruling).

+ Reply to Thread