LBA to File translation - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on LBA to File translation - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, Does anyone know of any tools that can convert an LBA to the File sitting on (or across) that LBA? We have an Exchange server and some of its drives have bad sectors that we want to rewrite to, ...

  1. LBA to File translation

    Hi,

    Does anyone know of any tools that can convert an LBA to the File
    sitting on (or across) that LBA?

    We have an Exchange server and some of its drives have bad sectors
    that we want to rewrite to, but we don't want to restore the whole box
    if we can avoid it.

  2. Re: LBA to File translation

    On 17 May 2007 07:13:34 -0700, Dan Rumney
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Does anyone know of any tools that can convert an LBA to the File
    >sitting on (or across) that LBA?
    >
    >We have an Exchange server and some of its drives have bad sectors
    >that we want to rewrite to, but we don't want to restore the whole box
    >if we can avoid it.

    I'm not aware of any tools that can do what you are suggesting but if
    you are trying to locate the files containing the bad sectors you
    could locate them by simply copying all of the files on the drive to
    nul and then wait for the read errors to occur, noting the files that
    produce the read errors. Something as simple as running this from the
    command line can be used:

    for /r %a in (*.*) do copy "%a" nul

    If you use this in a batch file you would need to use %%a instead of
    %a.

    John Hensley
    www.resqware.com

+ Reply to Thread