Program Icons on the bottom right of desktop screen - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Program Icons on the bottom right of desktop screen - Microsoft Windows ; Do the program icons on the bottom right of desktop screen represent an activity which takes up space being "ready to launch?" I would just as soon launch programs from the shortcut icons on the desktops. If they do take ...

  1. Program Icons on the bottom right of desktop screen

    Do the program icons on the bottom right of desktop screen represent an
    activity which takes up space being "ready to launch?" I would just as
    soon launch programs from the shortcut icons on the desktops. If they
    do take up a lot of resources, how do I eliminate them from the quick
    launch mode?

    Hope that you can and will help.

    Bob

  2. Re: Program Icons on the bottom right of desktop screen

    "Bob Gillespie" wrote in
    news:72b860c6a4f3b81518cce36194e84484.85315@mygate .mailgate.or
    g:

    > Do the program icons on the bottom right of desktop screen
    > represent an activity which takes up space being "ready to
    > launch?" I would just as soon launch programs from the
    > shortcut icons on the desktops. If they do take up a lot
    > of resources, how do I eliminate them from the quick launch
    > mode?
    >
    > Hope that you can and will help.
    >
    > Bob

    In general, the icons show SOME of the processes running which
    (although not necessarily in EVERY case) are required for the OS
    to operate.

    PROGRAM icons should ONLY appear when you are USING the program
    or when it is minimized. You may have (in a variety of ways)
    inadvertently ended up with a bunch of programs which
    automatically start up with Windows. (If you have MS Office, it
    auto-starts a whole bunch of **** which only collects data for
    Microsoft and slows down your machine considerably.)

    Use a start-up manager to eliminate processes/programs you don't
    want to start automatically. I understand newer versions of
    Windows have one built-in but a 3rd party one will be a LOT
    better. Google. And READ the manual/help file before you start
    messing around!

    Good luck.

  3. Re: Program Icons on the bottom right of desktop screen

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Bob Gillespie" wrote in
    > news:72b860c6a4f3b81518cce36194e84484.85315@mygate .mailgate.or
    > g:
    >
    >> Do the program icons on the bottom right of desktop screen
    >> represent an activity which takes up space being "ready to
    >> launch?" I would just as soon launch programs from the
    >> shortcut icons on the desktops. If they do take up a lot
    >> of resources, how do I eliminate them from the quick launch
    >> mode?
    >>
    >> Hope that you can and will help.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > In general, the icons show SOME of the processes running which
    > (although not necessarily in EVERY case) are required for the OS
    > to operate.

    Nonsense.There is no need for any icon in the System Tray (as it is
    named) or its associated process for the system to operate, not even the
    clock.

    On my system tray there is the Anti-Virus, the clock, a firewall, an
    anti-spam, and, currently the internet connection icon. I could remove
    all the associated programmes/icons and my machine would continue to
    function perfectly, abeit be in danger.

    I come across PCs sometimes where there are so many icons in the system
    tray that the task bar goes into double lines. Who the hell needs
    Quicktime constatly loaded in the background, or some waffle to do with
    launching Adobe reader etc?

    So for the OP, go into the Start/startup menuand clear out anything
    there that isn't important and necessary (like the antivirus), then run
    MSConfig then in the extreme right tab (Startup) and untick anything
    that doesn't seem necessary (you'll only have a few left ;-) ) then
    reboot. You'll get a warning from Windows when it restarts, just say OK.
    And don't worry if you untick something you later find you need, you can

  4. Re: Program Icons on the bottom right of desktop screen

    "John of Aix" wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Bob Gillespie" wrote in
    >> news:72b860c6a4f3b81518cce36194e84484.85315@mygate .mailgate
    >> .or g:
    >>
    >>> Do the program icons on the bottom right of desktop
    >>> screen represent an activity which takes up space being
    >>> "ready to launch?" I would just as soon launch programs
    >>> from the shortcut icons on the desktops. If they do take
    >>> up a lot of resources, how do I eliminate them from the
    >>> quick launch mode?
    >>>
    >>> Hope that you can and will help.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> In general, the icons show SOME of the processes running
    >> which (although not necessarily in EVERY case) are
    >> required for the OS to operate.

    > Nonsense.There is no need for any icon in the System Tray
    > (as it is named) or its associated process for the system
    > to operate, not even the clock.

    You're right, the essential processes do not show icons. I was
    talking about a few "systemic" utilities like the clock or
    ShortKeys or a window open-file box expander, forgetting they
    are not "essential" by MS standards.