How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP - Microsoft Windows ; I have a computer with two drives, C: and D:. I had Windows 98 installed with C: being the boot drive, with D: being an extra drive. I installed as a new installation, not an upgrade, Windows XP. It chose ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP

  1. How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP

    I have a computer with two drives, C: and D:. I had Windows 98
    installed with C: being the boot drive, with D: being an extra drive. I
    installed as a new installation, not an upgrade, Windows XP. It chose
    to install it on drive D:. I let it do that because D: was the larger
    and newer drive. But it left Windows 98 on drive c:, and now when I
    boot, it gives me the choice of booting either with XP being the
    default. I don't want the old Windows 98 installation anymore. I can
    of course get rid of it by reformatting the C: drive, but I don't want
    to confuse the loader which my installation apparently put in place.
    What is the proper way to deal with this problem?

  2. Re: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP

    Leonard Evens wrote:
    > I have a computer with two drives, C: and D:. I had Windows 98
    > installed with C: being the boot drive, with D: being an extra drive. I
    > installed as a new installation, not an upgrade, Windows XP. It chose
    > to install it on drive D:. I let it do that because D: was the larger
    > and newer drive. But it left Windows 98 on drive c:, and now when I
    > boot, it gives me the choice of booting either with XP being the
    > default. I don't want the old Windows 98 installation anymore. I can
    > of course get rid of it by reformatting the C: drive, but I don't want
    > to confuse the loader which my installation apparently put in place.
    > What is the proper way to deal with this problem?


    Apparently Windowx XP can boot from the D: drive okay because it is
    doing that. In addition, to any answer to my original question, I have
    to know if I can safely reformat the C: drive and remove all traces of
    Windows 98.

    If I understand how these things work, when you boot, the system goes
    first to the first disk and examines the master boot record which in my
    case tells it to go to the second disk (where d: is located and to read
    the boot.ini file. That then tells it where to go next. Presently it
    is giving me a choice, but presumably i can change that so it just boots
    Xp from D:. The question, then is whether if I format C:, that
    destroyes the master boot record. If it does, the system won't boot
    anymore.

    Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

  3. Re: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP


    Leonard Evens wrote:

    > Leonard Evens wrote:
    >
    >> I have a computer with two drives, C: and D:. I had Windows 98
    >> installed with C: being the boot drive, with D: being an extra drive.
    >> I installed as a new installation, not an upgrade, Windows XP. It
    >> chose to install it on drive D:. I let it do that because D: was the
    >> larger and newer drive. But it left Windows 98 on drive c:, and now
    >> when I boot, it gives me the choice of booting either with XP being
    >> the default. I don't want the old Windows 98 installation anymore.
    >> I can of course get rid of it by reformatting the C: drive, but I
    >> don't want to confuse the loader which my installation apparently put
    >> in place. What is the proper way to deal with this problem?

    >
    >
    > Apparently Windowx XP can boot from the D: drive okay because it is
    > doing that. In addition, to any answer to my original question, I have
    > to know if I can safely reformat the C: drive and remove all traces of
    > Windows 98.
    >
    > If I understand how these things work, when you boot, the system goes
    > first to the first disk and examines the master boot record which in my
    > case tells it to go to the second disk (where d: is located and to read
    > the boot.ini file. That then tells it where to go next. Presently it
    > is giving me a choice, but presumably i can change that so it just boots
    > Xp from D:. The question, then is whether if I format C:, that
    > destroyes the master boot record. If it does, the system won't boot
    > anymore.
    >
    > Any enlightenment would be appreciated.


    Look for these 3 files: boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr. Are then
    in the root of Drive C, Drive D or both? Post back here with your
    answer. (BTW, these files may be hidden as they are system files.)

  4. Re: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP

    Mistoffolees wrote:
    >
    > Leonard Evens wrote:
    >
    >> Leonard Evens wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a computer with two drives, C: and D:. I had Windows 98
    >>> installed with C: being the boot drive, with D: being an extra
    >>> drive. I installed as a new installation, not an upgrade, Windows
    >>> XP. It chose to install it on drive D:. I let it do that because D:
    >>> was the larger and newer drive. But it left Windows 98 on drive c:,
    >>> and now when I boot, it gives me the choice of booting either with XP
    >>> being the default. I don't want the old Windows 98 installation
    >>> anymore. I can of course get rid of it by reformatting the C: drive,
    >>> but I don't want to confuse the loader which my installation
    >>> apparently put in place. What is the proper way to deal with this
    >>> problem?

    >>
    >>
    >> Apparently Windowx XP can boot from the D: drive okay because it is
    >> doing that. In addition, to any answer to my original question, I
    >> have to know if I can safely reformat the C: drive and remove all
    >> traces of Windows 98.
    >>
    >> If I understand how these things work, when you boot, the system goes
    >> first to the first disk and examines the master boot record which in
    >> my case tells it to go to the second disk (where d: is located and to
    >> read the boot.ini file. That then tells it where to go next.
    >> Presently it is giving me a choice, but presumably i can change that
    >> so it just boots Xp from D:. The question, then is whether if I
    >> format C:, that destroyes the master boot record. If it does, the
    >> system won't boot anymore.
    >>
    >> Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

    >
    > Look for these 3 files: boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr. Are then
    > in the root of Drive C, Drive D or both? Post back here with your
    > answer. (BTW, these files may be hidden as they are system files.)


    How do you propose I should look for those files. Just looking at the
    disk, with hidden files displayed fails to show them. Searching for
    them, even allowing hidden and system files doesn't show them. I
    suppose if I boot from the CD and used recovery mode I can find them,
    but I don't want to go to the trouble. On another dual boot computer, I
    can find those files on the C: drive where XP lives by using my Linux
    installation. So I assume they must be there on each disk in the single
    partition on that disk, but XP won't let me see them.

    I also know that there is a boot.ini file on the D: drive because I've
    already managed to save it and edit it using bootcfg in a command
    window. Indeed I've mow managed to get the system just to boot Windows
    XP. I've also removed essentially everything from the C: drive, but I
    haven't yet figured out if I can format the C: drive. Clearly, i
    don't want to wipe out the master boot record on the first drive because
    I'm pretty sure that is essential to booting XP. It seems unlikely to
    me that the XP installer could change that. But I do want to wipe the
    C: partition clean.

    Any suggestions?

  5. Re: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP

    Leonard Evens wrote:

    > I also know that there is a boot.ini file on the D: drive because I've
    > already managed to save it and edit it using bootcfg in a command
    > window. Indeed I've mow managed to get the system just to boot
    > Windows XP. I've also removed essentially everything from the C:
    > drive, but I haven't yet figured out if I can format the C: drive.
    > Clearly, i don't want to wipe out the master boot record on the first
    > drive
    > because I'm pretty sure that is essential to booting XP. It seems
    > unlikely to me that the XP installer could change that. But I do
    > want to wipe the C: partition clean.
    >
    > Any suggestions?


    I think from reading your posts that you can, but why not just unhook
    the old C drive, reboot and if everything is OK and XP loads, then you
    can happily wipe the C drive clean.



  6. Re: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP

    John of Aix wrote:
    > Leonard Evens wrote:
    >
    >> I also know that there is a boot.ini file on the D: drive because I've
    >> already managed to save it and edit it using bootcfg in a command
    >> window. Indeed I've mow managed to get the system just to boot
    >> Windows XP. I've also removed essentially everything from the C:
    >> drive, but I haven't yet figured out if I can format the C: drive.
    >> Clearly, i don't want to wipe out the master boot record on the first
    >> drive
    >> because I'm pretty sure that is essential to booting XP. It seems
    >> unlikely to me that the XP installer could change that. But I do
    >> want to wipe the C: partition clean.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    >
    > I think from reading your posts that you can, but why not just unhook
    > the old C drive, reboot and if everything is OK and XP loads, then you
    > can happily wipe the C drive clean.
    >
    >



    A> I have a bad back, and although I did manage to upgrade the memory,
    the less time I spend fiddling with the guts of the machine, the better.

    B> I don't have confidence that the master boot record on the D: drive
    currently has a jump to the XP installation on that drive. Of course, I
    can probably fix that booting from the CD, but I don't want to ask for
    trouble.

    C> If I make any changes in the computer hardware, I run the risk that
    Microsoft will no longer recognize the XP installation as properly
    registered. Of course that can probably be fixed by spending hours on
    the phone to Microsoft, but I would rather not have to do that.

  7. Re: How do I get rid of Windows 98 after installing Windows XP


    Leonard Evens wrote:

    > John of Aix wrote:
    >
    >> Leonard Evens wrote:
    >>
    >>> I also know that there is a boot.ini file on the D: drive because I've
    >>> already managed to save it and edit it using bootcfg in a command
    >>> window. Indeed I've mow managed to get the system just to boot
    >>> Windows XP. I've also removed essentially everything from the C:
    >>> drive, but I haven't yet figured out if I can format the C: drive.
    >>> Clearly, i don't want to wipe out the master boot record on the first
    >>> drive
    >>> because I'm pretty sure that is essential to booting XP. It seems
    >>> unlikely to me that the XP installer could change that. But I do
    >>> want to wipe the C: partition clean.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >>
    >>
    >> I think from reading your posts that you can, but why not just unhook
    >> the old C drive, reboot and if everything is OK and XP loads, then you
    >> can happily wipe the C drive clean.
    >>

    >
    >
    > A> I have a bad back, and although I did manage to upgrade the memory,
    > the less time I spend fiddling with the guts of the machine, the better.
    >
    > B> I don't have confidence that the master boot record on the D: drive
    > currently has a jump to the XP installation on that drive. Of course, I
    > can probably fix that booting from the CD, but I don't want to ask for
    > trouble.
    >
    > C> If I make any changes in the computer hardware, I run the risk that
    > Microsoft will no longer recognize the XP installation as properly
    > registered. Of course that can probably be fixed by spending hours on
    > the phone to Microsoft, but I would rather not have to do that.


    From Windows XP, Control Panel, Administrative Tools and then Computer
    Management, locate the tab for Disk Management and open. What drive
    letter has been assigned for the system partition? If it is Drive D,
    then Drive C can be formatted; the computer is booting off of Drive D.
    To be sure, double-check that the root of Drive D contains the files
    mentioned by Mistoffolees --- boot.ini, ntdetect.com and NTLDR. If
    not or the computer fails to boot from the HD after formatting Drive C,
    then a repair job from booting off the Windows XP installation cdrom
    should take care of the problem. Under XP, note that Drive C, after
    formatting, is just like any other "normal" partition.

    Is Windows XP re-activation (not registration) required? Perhaps. But
    this can probably be done through the Internet or via a short telephone
    call.

+ Reply to Thread