What software to use for CD burning - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on What software to use for CD burning - Microsoft Windows ; I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have never used a burner. This is a used player. It plays CDs fine, but it needs software for burning. It came with no software except a driver on ...

  1. What software to use for CD burning

    I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have never used a
    burner. This is a used player. It plays CDs fine, but it needs
    software for burning. It came with no software except a driver on a
    floppy for Win98. I have no idea what software I need for burning or
    where to get it. What can I download, preferably for free? I can
    only use software that runs on Win98 or WinME. I want something easy
    to use, not some bloated thing that requires a degree in engineering.
    I only plan to use it to do backups and store photos and some other
    downloads and mp3s

  2. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in

    > I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have
    > never used a burner. This is a used player. It plays CDs
    > fine, but it needs software for burning. It came with no
    > software except a driver on a floppy for Win98. I have no
    > idea what software I need for burning or where to get it.
    > What can I download, preferably for free? I can only use
    > software that runs on Win98 or WinME. I want something
    > easy to use, not some bloated thing that requires a degree
    > in engineering. I only plan to use it to do backups and
    > store photos and some other downloads and mp3s

    If you are willing to spend $40 for the best, www.goldenhawk.com
    If you insist on free, Google for "CD burning freeware
    shareware".

  3. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote:
    > I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have never used a
    > burner. This is a used player. It plays CDs fine, but it needs
    > software for burning. It came with no software except a driver on a
    > floppy for Win98. I have no idea what software I need for burning or
    > where to get it. What can I download, preferably for free? I can
    > only use software that runs on Win98 or WinME. I want something easy
    > to use, not some bloated thing that requires a degree in engineering.
    > I only plan to use it to do backups and store photos and some other
    > downloads and mp3s

    If you're under XP, right click/send to [cd drive in question] then go
    on to the drive (XP will remind you constantly after that that there are
    files waiting be written toa CD via a balloon in the bottom right
    corner, which you can click on to go to the drive) then in the list in
    the left of the window 'Write the files to a CD' and Bob's your Uncle.
    Only CDs though, not DVDs.

  4. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in news:vv6923p98hbc30g54h9j3go3ujtcjb334j@4ax.com:

    > I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have never used a
    > burner. This is a used player. It plays CDs fine, but it needs
    > software for burning. It came with no software except a driver on a
    > floppy for Win98. I have no idea what software I need for burning or
    > where to get it. What can I download, preferably for free? I can
    > only use software that runs on Win98 or WinME. I want something easy
    > to use, not some bloated thing that requires a degree in engineering.
    > I only plan to use it to do backups and store photos and some other
    > downloads and mp3s

    Two good freeware choices are listed at
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...0CD-DVD:Burner
    For others, search the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup like this:
    http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...title%3Aburner

  5. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    On 17 Apr 2007 23:37:56 GMT, Mark Blain wrote:

    >georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in news:vv6923p98hbc30g54h9j3go3ujtcjb334j@4ax.com:
    >
    >> I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have never used a
    >> burner. This is a used player. It plays CDs fine, but it needs
    >> software for burning. It came with no software except a driver on a
    >> floppy for Win98. I have no idea what software I need for burning or
    >> where to get it. What can I download, preferably for free? I can
    >> only use software that runs on Win98 or WinME. I want something easy
    >> to use, not some bloated thing that requires a degree in engineering.
    >> I only plan to use it to do backups and store photos and some other
    >> downloads and mp3s

    >Two good freeware choices are listed at
    >http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...0CD-DVD:Burner
    >For others, search the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup like this:
    >http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...title%3Aburner

    Thanks for the help. Being told to use google was no help at all. I
    know to do that, but wanted recommendations. Besides that, since I am
    running Win98 and ME I cant use XP software.

    Will these all work equally well, or is there a preferred one that is
    used the most by people? Like I said, I dont want bloat. I want
    simple.

    George

  6. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote:

    >Will these all work equally well, or is there a preferred one that is
    >used the most by people? Like I said, I dont want bloat. I want
    >simple.

    Try CDBurner XP Pro, can be found on http://cdburnerxp.se - it works
    fine, does the most important things, is free.

    JK'07

  7. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    > Thanks for the help. Being told to use google was no help at all. I
    > know to do that, but wanted recommendations. Besides that, since I am
    > running Win98 and ME I cant use XP software.
    >
    > Will these all work equally well, or is there a preferred one that is
    > used the most by people? Like I said, I dont want bloat. I want
    > simple.

    The two programs are the favorites selected in a yearly poll by posters in
    . Searching past postings in that group is a good
    way to read recommendations from heavy users, which is why I suggested that
    specific google search. I've tried both apps and they worked well, but my
    requirements are very basic. Best of luck.

  8. Re: What software to use for CD burning

  9. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    Jan Kannemacher wrote:
    > georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote:
    >

    >>Will these all work equally well, or is there a preferred one that is
    >>used the most by people? Like I said, I dont want bloat. I want
    >>simple.

    > Try CDBurner XP Pro...

    The OP write:

    > Besides that, since I am running Win98 and ME I cant use XP software.

    Guess who wins the red pointy hat in today's Reading Comprehension class?

  10. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in

    > On 17 Apr 2007 23:37:56 GMT, Mark Blain
    > wrote:
    >
    >>georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in
    >>
    >>> I just bought a CD burner to replace my player. I have
    >>> never used a burner. This is a used player. It plays
    >>> CDs fine, but it needs software for burning. It came
    >>> with no software except a driver on a floppy for Win98.
    >>> I have no idea what software I need for burning or where
    >>> to get it. What can I download, preferably for free? I
    >>> can only use software that runs on Win98 or WinME. I
    >>> want something easy to use, not some bloated thing that
    >>> requires a degree in engineering. I only plan to use it
    >>> to do backups and store photos and some other downloads
    >>> and mp3s

    >>Two good freeware choices are listed at
    >>http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...YSTEMUTILITIES.
    >>php#5.30CD-DVD:Burner For others, search the
    >>alt.comp.freeware newsgroup like this:
    >>http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...%3Aalt.comp.fr
    >>eeware+intitle%3Aburner

    > Thanks for the help. Being told to use google was no help
    > at all. I know to do that, but wanted recommendations.
    > Besides that, since I am running Win98 and ME I cant use XP
    > software.
    >
    > Will these all work equally well, or is there a preferred
    > one that is used the most by people? Like I said, I dont
    > want bloat. I want simple.
    >
    > George

    www.goldenhawk.com

    About a 1MB or so download and the best. Can't remember when I
    last burned a coaster. (BTW I use Win95B and Win98SELite.)

  11. Re: What software to use for CD burning

    Jack Bogonomy wrote:

    >Guess who wins the red pointy hat in today's Reading Comprehension class?

    You don't. Just because a software has XP in its name, this doesn't mean
    at all that it's for Windows XP only.

    But for the hopeless smartarses who are too busy gloating:
    http://cdburnerxp.se/features.php

    Don't forget to check the last line of "Main features", and make sure
    that your reading comprehension module is activated. Thank you.

    JK'07

+ Reply to Thread