Wrong Drive Letter problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Wrong Drive Letter problem - Microsoft Windows ; Hello Yesterday I posted about installing a 3rd harddrive. I just did it. I did not yet remove the CD drive, I just plugged the new drive into the last remaining plug so I could see if this was a ...

  1. Wrong Drive Letter problem

    Hello

    Yesterday I posted about installing a 3rd harddrive. I just did it.
    I did not yet remove the CD drive, I just plugged the new drive into
    the last remaining plug so I could see if this was a good drive and if
    there is anything on it. All went well, except one thing.

    This new drive comes up as drive D:

    I already had a drive D:. so all my drive letters are pushed ahead by
    one letter. Thus, none of my shortcuts work for any partition after
    C:. For example, I run this software (Forte Agent) on drive F:
    My desktop shortcut did not work. I had to go to the directory and
    click on the .EXE file.

    I had 2 drives with 3 partitions each.
    Drive #1 is C D E
    Drive #2 is F G H

    C: is still C:
    D: is this new drive
    The original D: is now E:
    The original E: is now F:
    The original F: is now G:

    etc......

    I have an additional drive letter which is I:
    this used to be G:

    This does this in both Dos and Windows98
    (Booted to REAL Dos, not shelled out of win)

    HELP !!!!!!!!

    I thought this new drive would be the next available (I

    How do I fix this....

    Thanks

    George

    (I have this set to SLAVE and plugged in on the same cable as the CD
    drive).

  2. Re: Wrong Drive Letter problem

    georgeloppy@nospam.com writes:

    > Hello
    >
    > Yesterday I posted about installing a 3rd harddrive. I just did it.
    > I did not yet remove the CD drive, I just plugged the new drive into
    > the last remaining plug so I could see if this was a good drive and if
    > there is anything on it. All went well, except one thing.
    >
    > This new drive comes up as drive D:

    Order in Which MS-DOS and Windows Assign Drive Letters
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/51978

    You may be able to fix your situation by running fdisk on that new
    drive you added and removing the primary partition on it and setting a
    partion up in an extended partition. If I'm reading that right.
    I've never tried this and honestly never did allow win98 into my
    home (went straight to NT from 3.1).

    You'd have to go back in time in your installation, but here's

    How to Prevent Drive Letters from Changing After You Add a Hard Disk
    or a CD-ROM
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282530

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Wrong Drive Letter problem

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in

    You have been punished by Microsoft for not listening to
    thanatoid's advice. Next thing, your new drive will crap out
    after you've moved everything to it.

    Seriously, I believe I have seen some simple free utilities to
    change all the shortcuts on your entire system after doing what
    you did, but I can't remember where. Google and good luck.

  4. Re: Wrong Drive Letter problem

    On 11 Apr 2007 04:21:54 GMT, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in
    >

    >You have been punished by Microsoft for not listening to
    >thanatoid's advice. Next thing, your new drive will crap out
    >after you've moved everything to it.
    >
    >Seriously, I believe I have seen some simple free utilities to
    >change all the shortcuts on your entire system after doing what
    >you did, but I can't remember where. Google and good luck.

    I solved the problem. Thanks for all the help. The websites finally
    got me to see the problem. I had to FDISK and reformat the drive
    because it was set as PRIMARY and had no LOGICAL partitions.
    Now it's drive I:

    One thing though. This drive checks out fine. I DID remove the CD
    drive from the cable. Yet, this takes forever to boot. It hangs for
    a long period of time. It says the drive has S M A R T (something),
    but says "it cannot use it)...... HUH??????

    The drive is an 8 gig and I formatted as ONE partition. Do I need a
    driver or something, or why does it take so long?

    Thanks

    George

    ---
    -+ STOP CORRUPTING OUR YOUTH +-
    (With perverted messages like this)......

    "Now that all the eggs are eaten, the Easter Bunny has gone back into
    his hole".

  5. Re: Wrong Drive Letter problem

    > On 11 Apr 2007 04:21:54 GMT, thanatoid
    > wrote:
    >
    >>georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in
    >>

    >>You have been punished by Microsoft for not listening to
    >>thanatoid's advice. Next thing, your new drive will crap
    >>out after you've moved everything to it.
    >>
    >>Seriously, I believe I have seen some simple free utilities
    >>to change all the shortcuts on your entire system after
    >>doing what you did, but I can't remember where. Google and
    >>good luck.

    > I solved the problem. Thanks for all the help. The
    > websites finally got me to see the problem. I had to FDISK
    > and reformat the drive because it was set as PRIMARY and
    > had no LOGICAL partitions. Now it's drive I:
    >
    > One thing though. This drive checks out fine. I DID
    > remove the CD drive from the cable. Yet, this takes
    > forever to boot. It hangs for a long period of time. It
    > says the drive has S M A R T (something), but says "it
    > cannot use it)...... HUH??????

    SMART is probably something more recent than your BIOS/MB can
    handle, it monitors the drives for early signs of failure. Don't
    worry about it, and if the BIOS DOES have an option to disable
    it, just disable it.

    > The drive is an 8 gig and I formatted as ONE partition. Do
    > I need a driver or something, or why does it take so long?

    I have an 8.4GB drive in my 95B computer and is has 7
    partitions. It boots in about 15 seconds and defragging any
    partition usually takes less than a minute. What can I tell you.

    P.S. I STILL think you should be burning CD's. I HOPE for your
    sake that one day after it's too late you don't agree with me.

  6. Re: Wrong Drive Letter problem

    On 12 Apr 2007 19:02:01 GMT, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in
    >
    >> On 11 Apr 2007 04:21:54 GMT, thanatoid
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in
    >>>

    >>>You have been punished by Microsoft for not listening to
    >>>thanatoid's advice. Next thing, your new drive will crap
    >>>out after you've moved everything to it.
    >>>
    >>>Seriously, I believe I have seen some simple free utilities
    >>>to change all the shortcuts on your entire system after
    >>>doing what you did, but I can't remember where. Google and
    >>>good luck.

    >> I solved the problem. Thanks for all the help. The
    >> websites finally got me to see the problem. I had to FDISK
    >> and reformat the drive because it was set as PRIMARY and
    >> had no LOGICAL partitions. Now it's drive I:
    >>
    >> One thing though. This drive checks out fine. I DID
    >> remove the CD drive from the cable. Yet, this takes
    >> forever to boot. It hangs for a long period of time. It
    >> says the drive has S M A R T (something), but says "it
    >> cannot use it)...... HUH??????

    >SMART is probably something more recent than your BIOS/MB can
    >handle, it monitors the drives for early signs of failure. Don't
    >worry about it, and if the BIOS DOES have an option to disable
    >it, just disable it.

    I dont recall anything in the BIOS but I'll have a look when I reboot.

    >> The drive is an 8 gig and I formatted as ONE partition. Do
    >> I need a driver or something, or why does it take so long?

    >I have an 8.4GB drive in my 95B computer and is has 7
    >partitions. It boots in about 15 seconds and defragging any
    >partition usually takes less than a minute. What can I tell you.

    I now have 2 regular drives. One is a 6.5 gig (my primary), the other
    is a 10gig, my secondary slave drive. The 6.5 has 4 small partitions,
    the 10gig has 2 (5gig) partitions. The 10 gig needed software to
    install called Ontrack. This 3rd backup drive (this temporary one) is
    an 8 gig and was used so I dont know if it needs software drivers or
    whatever they are called. I used to boot to dos in about 15 seconds.
    Now it hangs for well over a minute when it gets to this 3rd drive. I
    just sits there and does nothing for the longest time. Finally it
    boots, but the whole boot incl. loading windows is around 5 minutes.
    Really annoying, which is why I dont want to reboot it right now to
    look at the bios. I have also noticed that since I added that drive,
    I keep getting more crashes, and the puter has rebooted twice on it's
    own in the last day. All my drives are getting drive size mismatches
    too when I run scandisk. Otherwise it works ????

    >P.S. I STILL think you should be burning CD's. I HOPE for your
    >sake that one day after it's too late you don't agree with me.

    Thats the plan. These backup drive will be taken to a professional
    and let them do the burning for me. I'd rather pay them than deal
    with the hassle. By the time I buy the burner and blanks and
    software, I may as well just pay someone to do it. This is something
    I'll probably do once a year at most so why go thru all the expense,
    and hassle to learn to use the software. I watched a guy burning Cds
    once and it looked like a major hassle. For every one CD that he got
    to work, he must has tossed 3 or 4 in the garbage because of errors,
    and the software looked like something that required a college degree
    in computers. Far too much hassle for me. I think they charge $9.99
    per disk to do this at the local shop and I only have about 12 gigs to
    backup, and if I eliminate the OS and many of the programs I can cut
    that way down. I can always reinstall windows, and still have the
    backup on these backup drives if I need one file or so.

    Thanks

    George

  7. Re: Wrong Drive Letter problem

    >>SMART is probably something more recent than your BIOS/MB
    >>can handle, it monitors the drives for early signs of
    >>failure. Don't worry about it, and if the BIOS DOES have an
    >>option to disable it, just disable it.
    >>

    > I dont recall anything in the BIOS but I'll have a look
    > when I reboot.
    >
    >>> The drive is an 8 gig and I formatted as ONE partition.
    >>> Do I need a driver or something, or why does it take so
    >>> long?

    >>I have an 8.4GB drive in my 95B computer and is has 7
    >>partitions. It boots in about 15 seconds and defragging any
    >>partition usually takes less than a minute. What can I tell
    >>you.
    >>

    > I now have 2 regular drives. One is a 6.5 gig (my
    > primary), the other is a 10gig, my secondary slave drive.
    > The 6.5 has 4 small partitions, the 10gig has 2 (5gig)
    > partitions. The 10 gig needed software to install called
    > Ontrack.

    That's a so-called disk-overlay program. I've used it twice in
    about 15 years and NEVER AGAIN.

    SOMEDAY you may be asking OnTrack to sell you their $500 (IIRC)
    data recovery software after that disk craps out. Because it
    "overlays" (whatever that means exactly) the boot sector and
    file allocation system (AFAIK), there is NO way to get at that
    data if something happens. (You may have noticed I am a bit of a
    pessimist.)

    > This 3rd backup drive (this temporary one) is an
    > 8 gig and was used

    While I know it is impossible to find a NEW 8.4 gig drive, I
    hope you ran a sector-by-sector read-write test on it (takes
    about a half hour if done right) and that it came out as "brand-
    new factory condition".

    > so I dont know if it needs software
    > drivers or whatever they are called. I used to boot to dos
    > in about 15 seconds. Now it hangs for well over a minute
    > when it gets to this 3rd drive. I just sits there and does
    > nothing for the longest time. Finally it boots, but the
    > whole boot incl. loading windows is around 5 minutes.
    > Really annoying, which is why I dont want to reboot it
    > right now to look at the bios. I have also noticed that
    > since I added that drive, I keep getting more crashes, and
    > the puter has rebooted twice on it's own in the last day.
    > All my drives are getting drive size mismatches too when I
    > run scandisk. Otherwise it works ????

    No idea, sorry. I get partition sizes wrong from within Windows
    all the time - I just do a scandisk on all 7 partitions once in
    a while before going into Windows. No big deal.

    >>P.S. I STILL think you should be burning CD's. I HOPE for
    >>your sake that one day after it's too late you don't agree
    >>with me.

    > Thats the plan. These backup drive will be taken to a
    > professional and let them do the burning for me. I'd
    > rather pay them than deal with the hassle.

    You definitions of "hassle", "professional" and "pay" may change
    considerably after that experience.

    > By the time I
    > buy the burner and blanks and software, I may as well just
    > pay someone to do it.

    You are SOOOOOOO wrong. See below.

    > This is something I'll probably do
    > once a year at most so why go thru all the expense, and
    > hassle to learn to use the software.

    There is various software for doing the job, from utterly
    baffling illogical bloat garbage (Nero) to what I use (a 1MB DL
    called CDRWin from www.goldenhawk.com). CDRWin cost me $35 or
    something, but there is plenty of free software as well. It's
    just SO GOOD I had to buy it in the end (I used a cracked copy
    for years but always felt really bad about it since it IS a
    program I use ALL the time).

    You will never get anything done on computers if you are
    unwilling to learn a little. And obviously you have enough of an
    idea about the whole subject that I don't think you would have
    any problems learning to use a CD burner/software. It's not like
    someone's asking you to become a Photoshop or MS Access expert.

    > I watched a guy
    > burning Cds once and it looked like a major hassle. For
    > every one CD that he got to work, he must has tossed 3 or 4
    > in the garbage because of errors, and the software looked
    > like something that required a college degree in computers.

    The world is full of idiots. You should see ME burning one.
    Haven't burned a coaster in years. I explained VERY extensively
    why you may have a bad impression of CD-R's in a previous post -
    I don't know if you bothered to read it.

    > Far too much hassle for me.

    Let's see what you say after the "professional" experience.

    > I think they charge $9.99 per
    > disk to do this at the local shop

    Not bad, a profit of $9.70 for 3 minutes work. And what are you
    gonna do if the CD's you get don't play on your CD drive because
    the "pro" used the cheapest brand available and did the burning
    at 52x to get it over with fast? And what are you gonna say when
    he tells you "oh, I reformatted the drive since we had already
    burned the CD-R's and you mentioned you had had some problems
    with it" ???

    > and I only have about 12
    > gigs to backup, and if I eliminate the OS and many of the
    > programs I can cut that way down.

    An LG (excellent brand) CD burner is 20 dollars and top quality
    CD-R's are 30 cents. You do the math.

    Not to mention the innumerable uses a burner has on a daily
    basis - for backups, transfers, archiving, etc etc.

    > I can always reinstall
    > windows, and still have the backup on these backup drives
    > if I need one file or so.

    Hey, it's your life so you run it like you want to. I'll leave
    it at that. But let me know when you are ready to say "you told
    me so :-( "
    For your sake, I hope it never happens, of course.