Installing a 3rd harddrive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Installing a 3rd harddrive - Microsoft Windows ; I am running Win98SE. I currently have 2 harddrives, one is a master the other a slave. Both are on the same cable. I want to connect a 3rd drive to do a backup. There is no space in my ...

  1. Installing a 3rd harddrive

    I am running Win98SE. I currently have 2 harddrives, one is a master
    the other a slave. Both are on the same cable. I want to connect a
    3rd drive to do a backup. There is no space in my small case for
    another drive, but I can sit it next to the computer for temporary
    use. My second cable has a CD drive on it, and has one spare plug on
    the end. Do I just connect the drive to that spare? Should the drive
    jumper be set to master or slave? Is it better to unplug the CD drive
    while I do this? (That really dont matter because I rarely use the CD
    drive anyhow).

    One other thing. I presently have 6 partitions total on my 2 hard
    drives. C D E F G and H. My CD drive is set to O. I also have a
    camera card reader which comes up as I. Will this new drive come up
    as J, or what?

    I imagine I will have to go into CMOS and let it automatically find
    this drive, is that correct?

    I have never used more than 2 hard drives on any computer, so this has
    me puzzled.

    If it matters, this is a Home Built PentiumIII 700mhz computer with
    320M Ram, and 18gigs of harddrive space in a much too small ATX case.

    George

  2. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    georgeloppy@nospam.com writes:

    > I am running Win98SE. I currently have 2 harddrives, one is a master
    > the other a slave. Both are on the same cable. I want to connect a
    > 3rd drive to do a backup. There is no space in my small case for
    > another drive, but I can sit it next to the computer for temporary
    > use. My second cable has a CD drive on it, and has one spare plug on
    > the end. Do I just connect the drive to that spare?

    SUre, if you you don't mind it running slower than it might
    otherwise.

    > Should the drive jumper be set to master or slave?

    Slave. Because the CD drive that's on it is almost certainly the
    master.

    > Is it better to unplug the CD drive while I do this? (That really
    > dont matter because I rarely use the CD drive anyhow).

    It would be better if you're just doing this once. The reason is that
    the CD/DVD drives usually dumb down the transfer speed on these IDE
    channels and will cause your backup drive to be slower than they would
    be otherwise.

    Now, there may still be suboptimal performance due to the type of
    cable that's on there, but you'll be as good as you can get I
    imagine.

    > I also have a camera card reader which comes up as I. Will this new
    > drive come up as J, or what?

    If you remove the CD drive and put this in its place, it will probably
    come up as th eCD drive's letter.

    > I imagine I will have to go into CMOS and let it automatically find
    > this drive, is that correct?

    It may just work. But yeah, can't hurt to double check in the BIOS.

    Another option is to get an external USB hard drive enclosure for like
    $20 from newegg.com. It'll take the hard drive you have and make it
    a USB hard drive. But... now that you mention it with win98se, I'm
    not sure if USB mass storage even works there or if it may require
    specialized drivers of some sort. On 2nd thought, never mind. Slap
    it on that secondary ide bus one way or another, and enjoy!

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    On 09 Apr 2007 15:41:39 -0500, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >georgeloppy@nospam.com writes:
    >
    >> I am running Win98SE. I currently have 2 harddrives, one is a master
    >> the other a slave. Both are on the same cable. I want to connect a
    >> 3rd drive to do a backup. There is no space in my small case for
    >> another drive, but I can sit it next to the computer for temporary
    >> use. My second cable has a CD drive on it, and has one spare plug on
    >> the end. Do I just connect the drive to that spare?

    >SUre, if you you don't mind it running slower than it might
    >otherwise.
    >
    >> Should the drive jumper be set to master or slave?

    >Slave. Because the CD drive that's on it is almost certainly the
    >master.
    >
    >> Is it better to unplug the CD drive while I do this? (That really
    >> dont matter because I rarely use the CD drive anyhow).

    >It would be better if you're just doing this once. The reason is that
    >the CD/DVD drives usually dumb down the transfer speed on these IDE
    >channels and will cause your backup drive to be slower than they would
    >be otherwise.
    >
    >Now, there may still be suboptimal performance due to the type of
    >cable that's on there, but you'll be as good as you can get I
    >imagine.
    >
    >> I also have a camera card reader which comes up as I. Will this new
    >> drive come up as J, or what?

    >If you remove the CD drive and put this in its place, it will probably
    >come up as th eCD drive's letter.
    >
    >> I imagine I will have to go into CMOS and let it automatically find
    >> this drive, is that correct?

    >It may just work. But yeah, can't hurt to double check in the BIOS.
    >
    >Another option is to get an external USB hard drive enclosure for like
    >$20 from newegg.com. It'll take the hard drive you have and make it
    >a USB hard drive. But... now that you mention it with win98se, I'm
    >not sure if USB mass storage even works there or if it may require
    >specialized drivers of some sort. On 2nd thought, never mind. Slap
    >it on that secondary ide bus one way or another, and enjoy!
    >

    >Best Regards,

    Thanks Todd

    I considered one of those USB drives adaptors and may still do that in
    the future, but I just want a backup for now. Its one of those things
    I keep putting off and I have lots of important photos and stuff. The
    drive will only be there for a short time, just till I copy all 6
    partitions to it. For one thing, I have a larger harddrive that I
    want to put as my permanent slave drive that will almost double my
    space because I am really low right now. Then the slave that I
    presently use will be unplugged and used to store lots of downloads,
    MP3 files and such till I can get someone to burn them on a CD for me.

    I'm glad you mentioned about the CD drive slowing the HD. I would
    have never known that. I will unplug the CD. I imagine I must set the
    HD to master then, huh?

    George

  4. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    georgeloppy@nospam.com writes:

    > I'm glad you mentioned about the CD drive slowing the HD. I would
    > have never known that. I will unplug the CD. I imagine I must set the
    > HD to master then, huh?

    Yup.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in

    > I want to connect a 3rd drive to do a backup.

    Many people will disagree, but as I see it, hard drives fail, a
    LOT. You could even drop it when disconcerting it right after
    doing the backup!

    OTOH, good quality CD-R's or DVD-R's handled and stored properly
    will probably outlive the civilization.

    Get rid of your CD drive (from what I gather, it's not a burner)
    and get an LG CD or DVD burner to put in its place. (I think
    it's one of the best brands, and cheap too.) Do your backup that
    way. Your computer is more than capable of handling the task. (I
    burn CD-R's with a P1/166/64RAM all the time. It is also BETTER
    not to burn at highest speeds - I NEVER burn above 8x (CD).)

    Plus you avoid the hassle of having to ask friends (or paying a
    shop) to burn stuff for you and all the associated mistakes and
    problems that probably WILL occur.

    And an LG burner will cost a LOT less than either an internal or
    worse, external drive.

    Just another point of view.
    t.

  6. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    thanatoid wrote in

    > Many people will disagree, but as I see it, hard drives
    > fail, a LOT. You could even drop it when disconcerting it
    > right after doing the backup!

    It WOULD be disconcerting, but of course I meant disconnecting.
    Stupid spell checkers.

  7. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    On 10 Apr 2007 02:25:26 GMT, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote in
    >
    >> I want to connect a 3rd drive to do a backup.

    >Many people will disagree, but as I see it, hard drives fail, a
    >LOT. You could even drop it when disconcerting it right after
    >doing the backup!
    >
    >OTOH, good quality CD-R's or DVD-R's handled and stored properly
    >will probably outlive the civilization.
    >
    >Get rid of your CD drive (from what I gather, it's not a burner)
    >and get an LG CD or DVD burner to put in its place. (I think
    >it's one of the best brands, and cheap too.) Do your backup that
    >way. Your computer is more than capable of handling the task. (I
    >burn CD-R's with a P1/166/64RAM all the time. It is also BETTER
    >not to burn at highest speeds - I NEVER burn above 8x (CD).)
    >
    >Plus you avoid the hassle of having to ask friends (or paying a
    >shop) to burn stuff for you and all the associated mistakes and
    >problems that probably WILL occur.
    >
    >And an LG burner will cost a LOT less than either an internal or
    >worse, external drive.
    >
    >Just another point of view.
    >t.

    I know what you are saying about hard drives failing, but my
    experience with home burned CDs has not been good. I have had friends
    burn my stuff to CD and it seemed that 9 out of 10 times the disk
    played fine in their machine but would not play in mine (and I
    replaced my drive several times). As long as the original burner
    drive is working I am fine, but if that drive fails I am at the mercy
    of finding a duplicate drive and hoping for the best. I have never
    had this problem with commercial CDs, so my I hope that paying a shop
    will get a better burn. For some reason the homemade Cds just dont
    seem real reliable. Right now I have at least 10 of those CDs that I
    had friends burn years ago, after years of collecting downloads from
    the old dos and Windows 3.x days. While most of that stuff is pretty
    useless now, I had many great photos and a huge collection of TTF
    fonts. Not one of those disks will read properly. If I am real
    lucky, and let the disk to spin for a half hour, just to get the list
    of files on it, I might be able to copy one or two files before I get
    a disk error. Because of this I have never bought a burner. I dont
    know if DVDs are any better?

    I also keep my most valuable photos on memory sticks so I have an
    extra backup, but I cant afford that many sticks to backup my whole
    computer.

    George

  8. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    georgeloppy@nospam.com wrote:

    > I am running Win98SE. I currently have 2 harddrives, one is a master
    > the other a slave. Both are on the same cable. I want to connect a
    > 3rd drive to do a backup. There is no space in my small case for
    > another drive, but I can sit it next to the computer for temporary
    > use. My second cable has a CD drive on it, and has one spare plug on
    > the end. Do I just connect the drive to that spare? Should the drive
    > jumper be set to master or slave? Is it better to unplug the CD drive
    > while I do this? (That really dont matter because I rarely use the CD
    > drive anyhow).

    You could remove the CD drive and put the new hard drive in the bay where the CD drive was. That would eliminate any master/slave conflicts or performance problems.

    > One other thing. I presently have 6 partitions total on my 2 hard
    > drives. C D E F G and H. My CD drive is set to O. I also have a
    > camera card reader which comes up as I. Will this new drive come up
    > as J, or what?

    If you add another hard drive with one logical drive on an extended partition it will be drive I and the card reader will change to drive J. If you partition the new drive with a primary partion then the letters of the logical drives on the extended partitions of the other hard drives will change.

    > I imagine I will have to go into CMOS and let it automatically find
    > this drive, is that correct?

    The drive should be automatically detected because the BIOS is probably already set to automatically detect.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  9. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    Todd H. wrote:
    > georgeloppy@nospam.com writes:
    >
    >> I'm glad you mentioned about the CD drive slowing the HD. I would
    >> have never known that. I will unplug the CD. I imagine I must set
    >> the HD to master then, huh?

    > Yup.

    Not true. It can be slave or master.

  10. Re: Installing a 3rd harddrive

    > On 10 Apr 2007 02:25:26 GMT, thanatoid
    > wrote:

    >>Many people will disagree, but as I see it, hard drives
    >>fail, a LOT. You could even drop it when disconcerting it
    >>right after doing the backup!
    >>
    >>OTOH, good quality CD-R's or DVD-R's handled and stored
    >>properly will probably outlive the civilization.

    > I know what you are saying about hard drives failing, but
    > my experience with home burned CDs has not been good. I
    > have had friends burn my stuff to CD and it seemed that 9
    > out of 10 times the disk played fine in their machine but
    > would not play in mine (and I replaced my drive several
    > times).

    Your drive, not being a burner, is older and may not be fully
    compatible with newer media (the recording layer ingredients
    change as technology progresses) burned on newer machines.

    Also, they probably burned it at the top speed just to get it
    over and done with, and may have used crappy media.

    > As long as the original burner drive is working I
    > am fine, but if that drive fails I am at the mercy of
    > finding a duplicate drive and hoping for the best.

    I have played CD-R's burned at 4x and 8x on 3 different computer
    CD drives and two different DVD players and one "mp3" blaster.
    No problem EVER.

    > I have
    > never had this problem with commercial CDs, so my I hope
    > that paying a shop will get a better burn.

    You may not understand the difference between "commercial" CD's
    and CD-R's. TOTALLY different thing. Store bought CD's are
    stamped in multimillion dollar factories. CD-R's are burned by
    laser in a $30 burner. But done right they will last just as
    long.

    Visit www.cdrfaq.org

    > For some reason
    > the homemade Cds just dont seem real reliable. Right now I
    > have at least 10 of those CDs that I had friends burn years
    > ago, after years of collecting downloads from the old dos
    > and Windows 3.x days. While most of that stuff is pretty
    > useless now, I had many great photos and a huge collection
    > of TTF fonts. Not one of those disks will read properly.

    Probably lousy media (I only use TDK, would use Fuji but can't
    find it here) recorded on very early machines which were less
    tolerant and more prone to errors.

    All the CD-R's I have from over 10 years ago work fine.

    > If I am real lucky, and let the disk to spin for a half
    > hour, just to get the list of files on it, I might be able
    > to copy one or two files before I get a disk error.

    Had EXACTLY that happen. It was a pirate disk, burned on the
    cheapest media available, at the fastest speed possible, on one
    of those "stack of 6" duplicators. No wonder they won't play!

    > Because of this I have never bought a burner. I dont know
    > if DVDs are any better?

    They are supposed to last even longer (like any one of us
    are going to be around in 200 years) and the rewritables are
    rated in thousands not hundreds of times (as CD-R's are). But I
    would NOT use rewritables. They are more expensive and I HAVE
    had a few minor problems with them. Good brand write-once CD-R's
    are the way to go.

    However, I find cataloguing and finding stuff on a 700 MB disc
    MORE than enough hassle, and would HATE to have to look through
    directories of a 4.7 or 9 GB disc.

    > I also keep my most valuable photos on memory sticks so I
    > have an extra backup, but I cant afford that many sticks to
    > backup my whole computer.

    Well, even a good quality TDK or Fuji or Taiyo Yuden CD-R is
    under 50 cents each...

    t.