Help me please with Windows Explorer - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help me please with Windows Explorer - Microsoft Windows ; I am pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that Windows Explorer could be set up so if I click the "Properties" ( of a file, for example ) instead of the "General" tab, the "Summary" tab should open by ...

  1. Help me please with Windows Explorer

    I am pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that Windows Explorer could be
    set up so if I click the "Properties" ( of a file, for example ) instead
    of the "General" tab, the "Summary" tab should open by default. Is this
    possible ? I've searched the net, but to no avail so far...
    Thanks for any help, info.

    Cheers, Csaba

    CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton@internode.on.net
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    Caterpallor (n.): The color you turn after finding half a grub in the
    fruit you're eating.

  2. Re: Help me please with Windows Explorer

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Phaeton wrote:

    > I am pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that Windows Explorer could be
    > set up so if I click the "Properties" ( of a file, for example ) instead
    > of the "General" tab, the "Summary" tab should open by default. Is this
    > possible ? I've searched the net, but to no avail so far...
    > Thanks for any help, info.
    >
    > Cheers, Csaba

    > CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton@internode.on.net
    > EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    Csaba I also have read somewhere in either win/xp for dummies or
    somewhere that its possible to change somehing via the "RUN" cmd regarding
    Win Explorer type of display. I prefer the old style traditional
    win explorer which shows all the files, folders, drives, etc in the left
    panel of the screen and you can click on whatever you wish and it pops
    up on the right sigde of the screen. In other words "MY THIS" and
    "My that" and "My music" and MY other crap serves no useful purpose that
    I can see. If you find out the solution pls pose it here for all of us.
    Joe

  3. Re: Help me please with Windows Explorer

    Joseph Fenn wrote in
    news:Pine.BSI.4.64.0704071150030.11231@malasada.la va.net:

    > On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Phaeton wrote:
    >

    >> I am pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that Windows
    >> Explorer could be set up so if I click the "Properties" (
    >> of a file, for example ) instead of the "General" tab, the
    >> "Summary" tab should open by default. Is this possible ?
    >> I've searched the net, but to no avail so far... Thanks
    >> for any help, info.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Csaba

    >> ----------------
    >> CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >> phaeton@internode.on.net
    >> ----------------
    >> EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:
    >>

    > Csaba I also have read somewhere in either win/xp for
    > dummies or somewhere that its possible to change somehing
    > via the "RUN" cmd regarding Win Explorer type of display.
    > I prefer the old style traditional win explorer which
    > shows all the files, folders, drives, etc in the left panel
    > of the screen and you can click on whatever you wish and it
    > pops up on the right sigde of the screen. In other words
    > "MY THIS" and "My that" and "My music" and MY other crap
    > serves no useful purpose that I can see. If you find out
    > the solution pls pose it here for all of us.
    > Joe

    Don't waste your time with Windows Explorer. It is a torture
    device designed to let you do as little as possible with as much
    hassle as possible.

    Go to www.ghisler.com for the solution.

  4. Re: Help me please with Windows Explorer

    Joseph Fenn wrote in
    news:Pine.BSI.4.64.0704071150030.11231@malasada.la va.net:

    > On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Phaeton wrote:
    >

    >> I am pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that Windows Explorer could
    >> be set up so if I click the "Properties" ( of a file, for example )
    >> instead of the "General" tab, the "Summary" tab should open by
    >> default. Is this possible ? I've searched the net, but to no avail so
    >> far... Thanks for any help, info.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Csaba

    >> -----
    >> CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton@internode.on.net
    >> -----
    >> EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:
    >>

    > Csaba I also have read somewhere in either win/xp for dummies or
    > somewhere that its possible to change somehing via the "RUN" cmd
    > regarding Win Explorer type of display. I prefer the old style
    > traditional win explorer which shows all the files, folders, drives,
    > etc in the left panel of the screen and you can click on whatever you
    > wish and it pops up on the right sigde of the screen. In other words
    > "MY THIS" and "My that" and "My music" and MY other crap serves no
    > useful purpose that I can see. If you find out the solution pls pose
    > it here for all of us.

    Joe,

    Sorry, I wasn't clear :-) I only simply want the "Properties" little window
    to behave differently. I have no problem with the current layout of the
    whole Explorer windows. To be precise : When you right-click on a file
    name, a little window pops up, with three tabs : General, Security &
    Summary. Normally it is the "General" tab which is seen, showing the
    details of the file. What I seem to recall that this order could be
    changed, so that the first tab is the "Summary" what we will see. Currently
    I always have to click on "Summary" every time...
    I've read or saw on the net that this possible to set up...
    Thanks.

    Cheers, Csaba

    CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton@internode.on.net
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
    Voltaire

  5. Re: Help me please with Windows Explorer

    thanatoid wrote in

    > Joseph Fenn wrote in
    > news:Pine.BSI.4.64.0704071150030.11231@malasada.la va.net:
    >

    >> On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Phaeton wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am pretty sure I read or saw somewhere that Windows
    >>> Explorer could be set up so if I click the "Properties" (
    >>> of a file, for example ) instead of the "General" tab, the
    >>> "Summary" tab should open by default. Is this possible ?
    >>> I've searched the net, but to no avail so far... Thanks
    >>> for any help, info.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Csaba

    >>> ----------------
    >>> CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >>> phaeton@internode.on.net
    >>> ----------------
    >>> EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:
    >>>

    >> Csaba I also have read somewhere in either win/xp for
    >> dummies or somewhere that its possible to change somehing
    >> via the "RUN" cmd regarding Win Explorer type of display.
    >> I prefer the old style traditional win explorer which
    >> shows all the files, folders, drives, etc in the left panel
    >> of the screen and you can click on whatever you wish and it
    >> pops up on the right sigde of the screen. In other words
    >> "MY THIS" and "My that" and "My music" and MY other crap
    >> serves no useful purpose that I can see. If you find out
    >> the solution pls pose it here for all of us.
    >> Joe
    >>

    > Don't waste your time with Windows Explorer. It is a torture
    > device designed to let you do as little as possible with as much
    > hassle as possible.
    >
    > Go to www.ghisler.com for the solution.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I guess you mean "Total Commander".
    Looks nice, and it has many features. I will check it out.
    But at the moment I just can't believe that this little trick I seem to
    remember is not on the net...

    By the way, which Windows newsgroup ( here in Uset ) is the best to ask
    questions like mine ? I mean it has traffic, a wide readership, etc.
    Or are there better tech forums on the net for this ?
    Thanks.

    Cheers, Csaba

    CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton@internode.on.net
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
    Voltaire

  6. Re: Help me please with Windows Explorer

    Phaeton wrote in
    news:Xns990C8228F1869csabahgmailcom@203.16.214.243 :

    > By the way, which Windows newsgroup ( here in Uset ) is the
    > best to ask questions like mine ? I mean it has traffic, a
    > wide readership, etc. Or are there better tech forums on
    > the net for this ? Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers, Csaba

    It's hard to give an easy answer here.

    Your issue verges on programming, certainly advanced tweaking.
    In fact while I think Total Commander will PROBABLY let you do
    what you want, it may not be the easiest or simplest solution.

    If you have a hi speed internet connection, it's easy to find
    out which groups have high traffic (by this I mean it won't take
    you an hour to DL/update the new groups and the amount of
    articles).

    Then use a filter in your newsreader group list - like comp, or
    tweak or progr or whatever - or just scan through the Microsoft
    or comp or alt.comp hierarchies and see what you come up with.

    Another way would be to choose a few key words from your
    post/title and put them in Google Groups search, and see what
    groups turn up the most.

    BTW, 24hoursupport.helpdesk, while it has its quirks, is usually
    a good place to start with almost anything.

    Good luck.
    t.

  7. Re: Help me please with Windows Explorer

    thanatoid wrote in

    > Phaeton wrote in
    > news:Xns990C8228F1869csabahgmailcom@203.16.214.243 :
    >

    >> By the way, which Windows newsgroup ( here in Uset ) is the
    >> best to ask questions like mine ? I mean it has traffic, a
    >> wide readership, etc. Or are there better tech forums on
    >> the net for this ? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Csaba

    > It's hard to give an easy answer here.
    >
    > Your issue verges on programming, certainly advanced tweaking.
    > In fact while I think Total Commander will PROBABLY let you do
    > what you want, it may not be the easiest or simplest solution.
    >
    > If you have a hi speed internet connection, it's easy to find
    > out which groups have high traffic (by this I mean it won't take
    > you an hour to DL/update the new groups and the amount of
    > articles).
    >
    > Then use a filter in your newsreader group list - like comp, or
    > tweak or progr or whatever - or just scan through the Microsoft
    > or comp or alt.comp hierarchies and see what you come up with.
    >
    > Another way would be to choose a few key words from your
    > post/title and put them in Google Groups search, and see what
    > groups turn up the most.
    >
    > BTW, 24hoursupport.helpdesk, while it has its quirks, is usually
    > a good place to start with almost anything.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thanks for the answer. I thought there is now a well-known
    Usenet group where the Windows people have congregated...
    ( or a few, actually. ) I will check out this 24 hours
    site...

    ( Regarding the W. exploere issue, I think there was a neat
    tweak/trick to do it, maybe in the registry... )

    Cheers, Csaba

    CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton@internode.on.net
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    Heller's Law :
    The first myth of management is that it exists.

+ Reply to Thread