From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP - Microsoft Windows ; If one has an illegal copy of Windows XP, in Italian, and buys a licence for the English version, is it possible to "convert" the first copy to be legal, instead of reinstalling everything?...

  1. From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP

    If one has an illegal copy of Windows XP, in Italian, and buys a
    licence for the English version, is it possible to "convert" the first
    copy to be legal, instead of reinstalling everything?

  2. Re: From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
    On 2007-04-01, IndyCar wrote:

    > If one has an illegal copy of Windows XP, in Italian, and buys a
    > licence for the English version, is it possible to "convert" the first
    > copy to be legal, instead of reinstalling everything?

    No. Windows is licensed as a specific version tied to a specific
    computer.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP

    John Thompson napisał(a):

    > No. Windows is licensed as a specific version tied to a specific
    > computer.

    I do not think so....

    --
    http://minek.cba.pl
    >> Upłynął limit czasu żądania <<

  4. Re: From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP

    On 2007-04-14, Dominik wrote:

    > John Thompson napisał(a):
    >

    >> No. Windows is licensed as a specific version tied to a specific
    >> computer.

    > I do not think so....

    Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what you or I think; all that
    matters it what Microsoft thinks it means. And they've made it quite
    clear that the Windows license is for one specific version on one
    specific computer. The only possible exception I know of is for
    corporate volume licenses, which doesn't really apply to the OP's
    situation.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: From an illegal to a legal copy of Windows XP

    John Thompson wrote:

    >Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what you or I think; all that
    >matters it what Microsoft thinks it means.

    All that matters is what a judge might think about it.

    >And they've made it quite clear that the Windows license is for one
    >specific version on one specific computer.

    If I buy Windows, I can install it on whatever machine I want (only one
    at a time, of course).

    Anyway. There's still that utility on the Microsoft website.

    JK'07

+ Reply to Thread