Question on linking a file extension to an application - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Question on linking a file extension to an application - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I have a question related to linking a file with extension .ext to an application. Any help on this is much appreciated. I've a Java application that has to be invoked from the directory it is installed. It can ...

  1. Question on linking a file extension to an application

    Hi,

    I have a question related to linking a file with extension .ext to an
    application. Any help on this is much appreciated.

    I've a Java application that has to be invoked from the directory it is
    installed. It can open a file for extension type, say, .ext. I can link
    ..ext file to open with my Java application. But I could not figureout
    how I can set the directory where the application should be invoked.
    Anyone knows how this can be set?

    I did following:
    1. Opened Explorer, clicked on a file with .ext.
    2. Selected my Java application in "chose program" dialog

    I would like to also set the directory from where the program should be
    executed.

    Thanks in advance,
    krishna

  2. Re: Question on linking a file extension to an application

    krishna sathyanarayana wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question related to linking a file with extension
    > .ext to an application. Any help on this is much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I've a Java application that has to be invoked from the
    > directory it is installed. It can open a file for extension
    > type, say, .ext. I can link .ext file to open with my Java
    > application. But I could not figureout how I can set the
    > directory where the application should be invoked. Anyone
    > knows how this can be set?
    >
    > I did following:
    > 1. Opened Explorer, clicked on a file with .ext.
    > 2. Selected my Java application in "chose program" dialog
    >
    > I would like to also set the directory from where the
    > program should be executed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > krishna

    Just a stab in the dark since this group is little visited... I
    don't know which version of Windows you are running and how it
    works in yours, but if you go to Win Explorer, Tools, Options,
    File Types, you can choose various extensions and various
    actions to be performed with what. If, a couple of levels down
    the maze, you click on details (or something), there is a box
    with the application path. That may be what you are looking for.
    Or maybe at least will point you where to look for what you
    need.