Maximum harddrive size for Win98se - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Maximum harddrive size for Win98se - Microsoft Windows ; I am running Win98SE on an older PIII 700mhz computer. I only have two 10gig hard drives in the computer. I just bought another hard drive to connect as a USB external drive. I have the case and power unit ...

  1. Maximum harddrive size for Win98se

    I am running Win98SE on an older PIII 700mhz computer. I only have
    two 10gig hard drives in the computer. I just bought another hard
    drive to connect as a USB external drive. I have the case and power
    unit to do this. I went to buy a 20 to 50 gig drive for backup and
    photo storage but found they no longer sell them, and ended up buying
    a 120gig drive. This is more than I need, but I'll use it eventually.
    My question is how many partitions i need to make. I dont think Win98
    will handle it. Also, can I format it right from the USB or must I
    connect it to the computer first?

    One other thing. I have a used 20 gig drive from another computer.
    I'd like to replace the "master" drive inside the computer but dont
    want to reinstall windows and all the programs. How can I copy all
    the data from my present 10 gig to this 20 gig drive? My second
    "slave" drive will stay as it is. I could remove the "slave" copy all
    the data from the "master" to it, and change it to the "master", but I
    know it wont boot that way. What is the trick to do this?

    Thanks

    Mark

  2. Re: Maximum harddrive size for Win98se

    wrote in message
    > I am running Win98SE on an older PIII 700mhz computer. I only have
    > two 10gig hard drives in the computer. I just bought another hard
    > drive to connect as a USB external drive. I have the case and power
    > unit to do this. I went to buy a 20 to 50 gig drive for backup and
    > photo storage but found they no longer sell them, and ended up buying
    > a 120gig drive. This is more than I need, but I'll use it eventually.
    > My question is how many partitions i need to make. I dont think Win98
    > will handle it. Also, can I format it right from the USB or must I
    > connect it to the computer first?
    >
    > One other thing. I have a used 20 gig drive from another computer.
    > I'd like to replace the "master" drive inside the computer but dont
    > want to reinstall windows and all the programs. How can I copy all
    > the data from my present 10 gig to this 20 gig drive? My second
    > "slave" drive will stay as it is. I could remove the "slave" copy all
    > the data from the "master" to it, and change it to the "master", but I
    > know it wont boot that way. What is the trick to do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    As near as I can tell from your post:

    1) The USB 120G drive:
    I got a Western Digital 250G USB drive, with software. There was no
    problem in Win98 to format a single partition and use the entire drive.

    >Also, can I format it right from the USB or must I
    > connect it to the computer first?

    ....? Yes, USB connection = connected to computer.

    2) The 20G drive you want to make new master:
    If you want to make the 20G the new C drive, you could use a program like
    Norton Ghost to make an exact clone of your current C drive onto it.
    I got Norton Ghost cheap on ebay, and I use it to clone a backup drive
    for my C drive, every so often.
    You would unplug the present slave drive, jumper the 20G as slave, plug it
    in, and
    then after the cloning, when you jumper the 20G for master, and put your old
    slave drive
    back in place, it should boot just as your former C drive did.

    Mike E

  3. Re: Maximum harddrive size for Win98se

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:14:58 -0500, maradcliff2@UNLISTED.com wrote:

    >I am running Win98SE on an older PIII 700mhz computer. I only have
    >two 10gig hard drives in the computer. ....[snip]
    >
    >One other thing. I have a used 20 gig drive from another computer.
    >I'd like to replace the "master" drive inside the computer but dont
    >want to reinstall windows and all the programs. How can I copy all
    >the data from my present 10 gig to this 20 gig drive? ......[snip]

    You could try a free solution using XXCOPY, as explained in :

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy10.htm

    Geo

+ Reply to Thread