Upgrading from Win98 to WinME - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Upgrading from Win98 to WinME - Microsoft Windows ; A friend just moved and when they were moving they cleaned out some old computers. I took them, and along with the computers there was a CD for WinME. I have been running Win98SE since 98 or 99. I have ...

  1. Upgrading from Win98 to WinME

    A friend just moved and when they were moving they cleaned out some
    old computers. I took them, and along with the computers there was a
    CD for WinME. I have been running Win98SE since 98 or 99. I have no
    intention of upgrading to XP or Vista and my older computer would not
    run them anyhow. But I know WinME is pretty much the same as Win98.
    On the other hand, I have heard over the years that WinME has problems
    that 98 does not. What is the truth to all of this? What would I
    gain if I installed WinME? Or, is there anything to gain?

    Thanks for all advice.

    Gerry

  2. Re: Upgrading from Win98 to WinME

    Gerry Atrick wrote:
    > A friend just moved and when they were moving they cleaned out some
    > old computers. I took them, and along with the computers there was a
    > CD for WinME. I have been running Win98SE since 98 or 99. I have no
    > intention of upgrading to XP or Vista and my older computer would not
    > run them anyhow. But I know WinME is pretty much the same as Win98.
    > On the other hand, I have heard over the years that WinME has problems
    > that 98 does not. What is the truth to all of this? What would I
    > gain if I installed WinME? Or, is there anything to gain?

    Off hand I'd say the main advantage is System Restore, which 98 doesn't
    have. It's true that plenty of people say it is the worst OS Microsoft
    has ever made but in my experience itis nomore unstable than 98 which,
    if looked after, isn'y unstable at all

  3. Re: Upgrading from Win98 to WinME

    > > On the other hand, I have heard over the years that WinME has problems
    > > that 98 does not. What is the truth to all of this? What would I
    > > gain if I installed WinME? Or, is there anything to gain?

    > Off hand I'd say the main advantage is System Restore, which 98 doesn't
    > have. It's true that plenty of people say it is the worst OS Microsoft
    > has ever made but in my experience itis nomore unstable than 98 which,
    > if looked after, isn'y unstable at all

    if you don't want the "system restore" thing there is no need for ME.
    (it is after all better to make a bakup of windows instead - burn a cd
    if you have a cd-burner, or copy c:\windows and c:\ (skip the swp-file) to
    somewhere you have enough free diskspace.)

    If you want to upgrade your win98se a bit you should instead go to http://www.mdgx.com/spx/
    where there are upgrades/servicepacks/patches for win98 for lot of things
    like USB-support, support for harddissks larger than 137 GB and files > 2GB

    there is lots of info for ME on that site too.

+ Reply to Thread