How do I compare files recursively? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How do I compare files recursively? - Microsoft Windows ; I want to be able to compare a directory, all subdirectories, and files contained therein to a copy I made elsewhere, e.g. to an external USB drive or to a CD. I can use the command FC, but that requires ...

  1. How do I compare files recursively?

    I want to be able to compare a directory, all subdirectories, and files
    contained therein to a copy I made elsewhere, e.g. to an external USB
    drive or to a CD. I can use the command FC, but that requires
    explicitly descending into subdirectories. I imagine I can figure out
    how to write a batch file or script to do that, but I hope someone has
    already done so.

  2. Re: How do I compare files recursively?

    Use the free utility, CSDIFF, which is free from:
    http://www.componentsoftware.com/Products/freetool.htm

    This has two options: 1) Intelligently compare two files.
    and 2) compre, optionally recursively, two directory structures; this directory structure
    compare binary compares every fille within each structure. That is, the dates may
    differ, but if the contents are identical, then that pair within each structure is marked
    "same".

    This utillity is fast and accurate.

    Skip

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:51:06 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:

    -|I want to be able to compare a directory, all subdirectories, and files
    -|contained therein to a copy I made elsewhere, e.g. to an external USB
    -|drive or to a CD. I can use the command FC, but that requires
    -|explicitly descending into subdirectories. I imagine I can figure out
    -|how to write a batch file or script to do that, but I hope someone has
    -|already done so.

  3. Re: How do I compare files recursively?

    Leonard Evens wrote in

    > I want to be able to compare a directory, all
    > subdirectories, and files contained therein to a copy I
    > made elsewhere, e.g. to an external USB drive or to a CD.
    > I can use the command FC, but that requires explicitly
    > descending into subdirectories. I imagine I can figure out
    > how to write a batch file or script to do that, but I hope
    > someone has already done so.

    For this and similar problems I suggest getting Total Commander
    (www.ghisler.com). It can do this (maybe not exactly the way you
    mean, but you will get the info you want) and an amazing amount
    of other things Windows Explorer and similar "file managers" can
    only dream of. It will work forever in trial mode but I was
    happy to pay for it and I couldn't live without it.

    But perhaps the link the other poster provided is all you need.

  4. Re: How do I compare files recursively?

    thanatoid wrote in

    > But perhaps the link the other poster provided is all you
    > need.

    Just checked it out of curiosity. Very nice, but a bigger DL and
    you have to TYPE IN what you want to compare!

    Still, very comprehensive and lots of (although perhaps
    unnecessary) options.

  5. Re: How do I compare files recursively?

    On 07 Mar 2007 06:32:39 GMT, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >Leonard Evens wrote in
    >
    >> I want to be able to compare a directory, all
    >> subdirectories, and files contained therein to a copy I
    >> made elsewhere, e.g. to an external USB drive or to a CD.
    >> I can use the command FC, but that requires explicitly
    >> descending into subdirectories. I imagine I can figure out
    >> how to write a batch file or script to do that, but I hope
    >> someone has already done so.

    >For this and similar problems I suggest getting Total Commander
    >(www.ghisler.com). It can do this (maybe not exactly the way you
    >mean, but you will get the info you want) and an amazing amount
    >of other things Windows Explorer and similar "file managers" can
    >only dream of. It will work forever in trial mode but I was
    >happy to pay for it and I couldn't live without it.
    >
    >But perhaps the link the other poster provided is all you need.

    Or just use the Dos COMP command. (compare)
    Shell to dos, and type comp c:\files\filename.exe
    d:\backup\files\filename.exe

  6. Re: How do I compare files recursively?

    jamie@______.com wrote:
    > On 07 Mar 2007 06:32:39 GMT, thanatoid
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Leonard Evens wrote in
    >>
    >>> I want to be able to compare a directory, all
    >>> subdirectories, and files contained therein to a copy I
    >>> made elsewhere, e.g. to an external USB drive or to a CD.
    >>> I can use the command FC, but that requires explicitly
    >>> descending into subdirectories. I imagine I can figure out
    >>> how to write a batch file or script to do that, but I hope
    >>> someone has already done so.

    >> For this and similar problems I suggest getting Total Commander
    >> (www.ghisler.com). It can do this (maybe not exactly the way you
    >> mean, but you will get the info you want) and an amazing amount
    >> of other things Windows Explorer and similar "file managers" can
    >> only dream of. It will work forever in trial mode but I was
    >> happy to pay for it and I couldn't live without it.
    >>
    >> But perhaps the link the other poster provided is all you need.

    > Or just use the Dos COMP command. (compare)
    > Shell to dos, and type comp c:\files\filename.exe
    > d:\backup\files\filename.exe

    As best I can tell, neither comp nor fc will descend recursively into a
    directory tree and compare files found in subdirectories. As I noted
    originally, I think I could probably write a batch file which used a
    combination of commands to take care of that, but it doesn't look
    completely trivial to me right now.

  7. Re: How do I compare files recursively?

    Check Windiff, WinMerge (free) or my SynchronizeIt from
    http://www.grigsoft.com/wndsync.htm.

    Igor Green
    http://www.grigsoft.com/
    Compare It! + Synchronize It! - files and folders comparison never was
    easier!

+ Reply to Thread