Hard drive connected to USB - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Hard drive connected to USB - Microsoft Windows ; I got one of those cases where a harddrive is hooked to the USB. It says to set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER. Shouldn't that be slave? I already have a master drive as well as a slave ...

  1. Hard drive connected to USB

    I got one of those cases where a harddrive is hooked to the USB. It
    says to set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER.
    Shouldn't that be slave? I already have a master drive as well as a
    slave inside my computer.

  2. Re: Hard drive connected to USB

    Gerry Atrick writes:

    > I got one of those cases where a harddrive is hooked to the USB. It
    > says to set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER.
    > Shouldn't that be slave? I already have a master drive as well as a
    > slave inside my computer.

    No, it should be master. It's a USB interface, and doesn't see or
    care what's on your ATA buses inside your computer.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Hard drive connected to USB

    On 06 Mar 2007 00:46:32 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >Gerry Atrick writes:
    >
    >> I got one of those cases where a harddrive is hooked to the USB. It
    >> says to set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER.
    >> Shouldn't that be slave? I already have a master drive as well as a
    >> slave inside my computer.

    >No, it should be master. It's a USB interface, and doesn't see or
    >care what's on your ATA buses inside your computer.

    OK, thanks. I thought there could only be one master on a computer.
    But if it dont see the one in the computer, then it makes sense. I am
    just going to use this drive for storage. I have filled up my drives
    completely with pictures and music and have no place for new programs.
    I plan to move everything to this USB drive except the programs and
    OS.

  4. Re: Hard drive connected to USB

    Gerry Atrick writes:

    > On 06 Mar 2007 00:46:32 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    > >Gerry Atrick writes:
    > >
    > >> I got one of those cases where a harddrive is hooked to the USB. It
    > >> says to set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER.
    > >> Shouldn't that be slave? I already have a master drive as well as a
    > >> slave inside my computer.

    > >No, it should be master. It's a USB interface, and doesn't see or
    > >care what's on your ATA buses inside your computer.

    > OK, thanks. I thought there could only be one master on a computer.

    Yeah, there is no 1master/computer rule. One master per ide channel.
    Most computers have two of these (primary and secondary ide channels).
    And if you add ide drive enclosures each little enclosure has its own
    new ide channel that typically has just 1 drive.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Hard drive connected to USB

    On 2007-03-06, Gerry Atrick wrote:

    > On 06 Mar 2007 00:46:32 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    >>No, it should be master. It's a USB interface, and doesn't see or
    >>care what's on your ATA buses inside your computer.

    > OK, thanks. I thought there could only be one master on a computer.

    No. Only one master per IDE channel. But the USB device will show up as
    an SCSI device, entirely separate from any IDE devices attached to your
    machine.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: Hard drive connected to USB

    "Gerry Atrick" wrote in message
    > On 06 Mar 2007 00:46:32 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    > >Gerry Atrick writes:
    > >
    > >> I got one of those cases where a harddrive is hooked to the USB. It
    > >> says to set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER.
    > >> Shouldn't that be slave? I already have a master drive as well as a
    > >> slave inside my computer.

    > >No, it should be master. It's a USB interface, and doesn't see or
    > >care what's on your ATA buses inside your computer.

    > OK, thanks. I thought there could only be one master on a computer.
    > But if it dont see the one in the computer, then it makes sense. I am
    > just going to use this drive for storage. I have filled up my drives
    > completely with pictures and music and have no place for new programs.
    > I plan to move everything to this USB drive except the programs and
    > OS.

    Just a word of experience Gerry. I added my 250G USB drive and copied
    much of my digital photos to it. Then I added more recent ones. I was
    hooking
    a slave drive up to my C: drive to make a clone and accidentally trashed the
    USB drive. So sadly after the fact, I copied all the intact images off C:
    onto CDs,
    lost most of the recent photos, and vowed NEVER to store irreplaceables on
    the USB external drive again! It IS great for backup COPIES of CD photos
    and music, though, to have all of them right there at hand.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread