Turn off processors selectively in Windows XP? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Turn off processors selectively in Windows XP? - Microsoft Windows ; I'm trying to set up a machine for benchmarking: 2 dual-core cpus. I need a way to selectively turn off processors and cores as painlessly as possible. Does anyone know of a utility suitable for that? I read somewhere that ...

  1. Turn off processors selectively in Windows XP?

    I'm trying to set up a machine for benchmarking: 2 dual-core cpus. I need a
    way to selectively turn off processors and cores as painlessly as possible.
    Does anyone know of a utility suitable for that?

    I read somewhere that you should be able to do that in Device Manager, but
    the "Disable" option is not there for processor devices. Uninstalling them
    does not make a difference: devices are still there after reboot.

    Thanks in advance...

  2. Re: Turn off processors selectively in Windows XP?

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:12:40 -0800, "Tom"
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to set up a machine for benchmarking: 2 dual-core cpus. I need a
    >way to selectively turn off processors and cores as painlessly as possible.
    >Does anyone know of a utility suitable for that?
    >
    >I read somewhere that you should be able to do that in Device Manager, but
    >the "Disable" option is not there for processor devices. Uninstalling them
    >does not make a difference: devices are still there after reboot.

    I don't know about permanently disabling cores, but maybe this will
    get you what you want:

    Start benchmarking program,
    Open task-manager
    Tab to "Processes" tab
    Right-click Benchmark program process
    Select "Affinity"
    Uncheck the processors you don't want it to use.

    There's also a program floating around on the net called IMAGECFG that
    lets you alter the EXE to only use specific cores.

+ Reply to Thread