multi-boot PC now only boots Win95 (which is kaput) and defies repair attempts - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on multi-boot PC now only boots Win95 (which is kaput) and defies repair attempts - Microsoft Windows ; I had a multiboot PC with Win95, 98 and 2000. The Win2000 boot loader gave a choice of Windows 2000 or 9x. Win95 and 98 could be swapped before rebooting by a batch file which changed the IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and ...

  1. multi-boot PC now only boots Win95 (which is kaput) and defies repair attempts

    I had a multiboot PC with Win95, 98 and 2000.
    The Win2000 boot loader gave a choice of Windows 2000 or 9x.
    Win95 and 98 could be swapped before rebooting by a batch file
    which changed the IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and DRVSPACE.BIN
    Now a week ago, it wouldn't boot Windows 95, which was on C:
    it complained a VXD file was missing, then a DLL was missing
    and froze. I ran SCANDISK it said I had FAT mismatch, long
    filename errors, lost chains, crosslinked files etc. This was
    on C: - the other partitions were okay. After an evening
    looking around the disk, it appeared the WINDOWS and Program
    Files directories were screwed, and the others were unharmed.
    Also there were no bad sectors or hardware errors, only the
    two directories on C: were scrambled.

    Also the Win2000 bootup menu was gone, I got only the Win95
    startup, so the MBR was changed somehow? Since Win98 was on
    E:, I switched the 3 files and rebooted. I saw the Windows 98
    startup, but then it jumps to Windows 95 (same error messages
    as before). Windows 95 and 98 had different desktops, so
    I was sure it jumped to Win95. I thought the IO.SYS should
    direct you to the appropriate version of Windows. I know
    it was the Win98 IO.SYS as it is different size to Win95
    IO.SYS.

    I had hoped to get Win98 going again, as I had everything
    backed up on a spare hard disk. So I needed XCOPY32 to
    restore the C: partition.

    So next, I tried to restore Win2000 boot. I got the Win2000
    setup disk and did the repair ( I have done this before on a
    PC that had Win98 installed after Win2000). But after this
    repair, I still get Win95 startup, instead of Win2000.

    So what-the-copulation is going on? This disk refuses to
    boot anything except Win95, which is corrupt?

  2. Re: multi-boot PC now only boots Win95 (which is kaput) and defies repair attempts

    > I had a multiboot PC with Win95, 98 and 2000.
    > The Win2000 boot loader gave a choice of Windows 2000 or 9x.
    > Win95 and 98 could be swapped before rebooting by a batch file
    > which changed the IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and DRVSPACE.BIN

    as I understand you, you have one partition with win2000 and one
    partition with bootfiles for both win95 and win98 (but rest of win98
    on another partition), and you select wich win9x to start by
    swapping IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and DRVSPACE.BIN (where WinDir, WinBootDir
    and HostWinBootDrv -lines in MSDOS.SYS are the important one,
    and DRVSPACE.BIN could really be deleted since noone sane is using
    drivespace/doublespace)

    > Now a week ago, it wouldn't boot Windows 95, which was on C:
    > it complained a VXD file was missing, then a DLL was missing

    maybe you should install a new win95 ontop of the old win95 to fix that one
    (later. when the rest is fixed. and you made bakup)

    > startup, so the MBR was changed somehow? Since Win98 was on
    > E:, I switched the 3 files and rebooted. I saw the Windows 98
    > startup, but then it jumps to Windows 95 (same error messages

    if you set it to boot to dos-mode (BootGUI=0) and run ver
    what version does it say? what is the environment variables (set)?
    and is it possible to got win98's windows-directory and
    run to the win.com there?

    > So next, I tried to restore Win2000 boot. I got the Win2000
    > setup disk and did the repair ( I have done this before on a
    > PC that had Win98 installed after Win2000). But after this

    you know more than me there...
    Maybe the win2000 repair ****ed up your win2000 bootmenu
    so boot.ini now points to the win9x as the thing to start
    hmm... http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/bootini.htm
    have lots of boot.ini-information, I learn new thing every day...

    > So what-the-copulation is going on?

    :-)

  3. Re: multi-boot PC now only boots Win95 (which is kaput) and defies repair attempts

    > and is it possible to got win98's windows-directory and run to the win.com there?
    "to go to" I meant. (e: and cd\windows)
    my fingers slipped there

  4. Re: multi-boot PC now only boots Win95 (which is kaput) and defies repair attempts

    efffemm@f-m.fm wrote in
    news:1172706931.432509.76580@m58g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com:

    > I had a multiboot PC with Win95, 98 and 2000.

    I'm sorry I can not offer any help as I have never used even a
    dual-boot machine, but I HAVE to ask...

    WHY would anyone have 95, 98 and 2000 on the same machine? There
    are SO FEW real differences....

    I would have just gone with 98SE.

    Just curious.

+ Reply to Thread