Saving current layout (theme) - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Saving current layout (theme) - Microsoft Windows ; I have never installed a theme and prefer my simple layout that I made myself. However, I found a theme that really suits me and want to give it a look. However, I want to be able to restore my ...

  1. Saving current layout (theme)

    I have never installed a theme and prefer my simple layout that I made
    myself. However, I found a theme that really suits me and want to
    give it a look. However, I want to be able to restore my normal
    settings. How can I save what I have, or will I have to manually
    restore the wallpaper, sounds, icons, and all the other stuff? Is
    this information all stored in the registry? If there's no other way,
    I suppose I could backup my registry and restore it after I try the
    theme. I dont plan to keep the theme, but might save a few parts of
    it, such as the wallpaper and the sound files and maybe the animated
    mouse pointer, which is the thing I mainly want. This theme came as a
    ..EXE file. I had hoped it came as a .ZIP so I could just take out the
    parts that I want.

  2. Re: Saving current layout (theme)

    Go to Control Panel, Display Properties. You can save your existing settings as a theme. You could also save the settings by creating a restore point in WinXP or using Scanreg in Win98. The settings are in the registry and can be manually exported and saved if you feel comfortable editing the registry.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

+ Reply to Thread