Potential boot sector virus? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Potential boot sector virus? - Microsoft Windows ; I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100 as a spare PC at the moment, but am having huge issues with it. Whenever I have the hard drive plugged in via IDE, the CD drives wont work at all, and on attempted ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Potential boot sector virus?

    I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100 as a spare PC at the moment, but am
    having huge issues with it.

    Whenever I have the hard drive plugged in via IDE, the CD drives wont
    work at all, and on attempted boot from CD, I get an error "CDBOT:
    Memory overflow error", and the same for the floppy drive, error
    message "I/O error", yet when the hard drive is unplugged, I am able
    to boot from CD, however, I get a BSOD in the middle of attempting to
    start the Windows XP setup process. With the hard drive unplugged, I
    still can't boot from floppy, getting an error "Disk I/O error".

    So what's up with it?

    I'm getting ready to low-level format the hard drive, but I'm not
    entirely sure that this will fix anything.

  2. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    This is not a boot sector virus. A boot sector virus causes problems only when attempting to boot from the drive with the virus.
    You could have bad memory. Run memtest86 to test your memory. A bad hard drive can affect a CD drive, especially if it is on the same cable. Try another hard drive if you have one.
    The disk I/O error from the floppy could be unrelated to the hard drive problem.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    A Nintendo Fanboy wrote:
    > I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100 as a spare PC at the moment, but am
    > having huge issues with it.
    >
    > Whenever I have the hard drive plugged in via IDE, the CD drives wont
    > work at all, and on attempted boot from CD, I get an error "CDBOT:
    > Memory overflow error", and the same for the floppy drive, error
    > message "I/O error", yet when the hard drive is unplugged, I am able
    > to boot from CD, however, I get a BSOD in the middle of attempting to
    > start the Windows XP setup process. With the hard drive unplugged, I
    > still can't boot from floppy, getting an error "Disk I/O error".

    Are you surez all these things are set to Master/Slave as they should
    be, it sounds like that sort of conflict (no boot)?

  4. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On Feb 22, 2:59 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    > A Nintendo Fanboy wrote:
    > > I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100 as a spare PC at the moment, but am
    > > having huge issues with it.

    > > Whenever I have the hard drive plugged in via IDE, the CD drives wont
    > > work at all, and on attempted boot from CD, I get an error "CDBOT:
    > > Memory overflow error", and the same for the floppy drive, error
    > > message "I/O error", yet when the hard drive is unplugged, I am able
    > > to boot from CD, however, I get a BSOD in the middle of attempting to
    > > start the Windows XP setup process. With the hard drive unplugged, I
    > > still can't boot from floppy, getting an error "Disk I/O error".

    > Are you surez all these things are set to Master/Slave as they should
    > be, it sounds like that sort of conflict (no boot)?

    I've made sure that there's no conflicts with master/slave settings
    already.

  5. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    The computer won't boot even if I put in another hard drive and remove
    all CD drives.

  6. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    And it also won't boot from any non-Windows CD or DVD.

    If I put another hard drive in, the BIOS doesn't even recognize it.

    When I put the formatted drive in, on attempted boot, instead of
    saying "No operating system found" or an error similar to that, I get
    the error message "NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
    message, when there's not a trace of Windows XP on the drive.

  7. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    The drive has a WinXP master boot record on it. A normal format will not remove it.

    A Nintendo Fanboy wrote:

    > And it also won't boot from any non-Windows CD or DVD.
    >
    > If I put another hard drive in, the BIOS doesn't even recognize it.
    >
    > When I put the formatted drive in, on attempted boot, instead of
    > saying "No operating system found" or an error similar to that, I get
    > the error message "NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
    > message, when there's not a trace of Windows XP on the drive.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  8. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    If you have another hard drive cable, try putting the hard drive on one IDE
    channel and the CD on the other. On the floppy drive problem, first confirm
    that you have a good, bootable floppy by creating a new one and using it to
    boot a known good computer. Then go into the BIOS setup of the problem
    computer and make sure the floppy drive is set to a 1.44 Mb 3.5 inch drive.
    Also, make sure the floppy drive cable is not reversed and is installed
    properly.

    Ben

    "A Nintendo Fanboy" wrote in message news:1172120359.768439.213640@l53g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100 as a spare PC at the moment, but am
    > having huge issues with it.
    >
    > Whenever I have the hard drive plugged in via IDE, the CD drives wont
    > work at all, and on attempted boot from CD, I get an error "CDBOT:
    > Memory overflow error", and the same for the floppy drive, error
    > message "I/O error", yet when the hard drive is unplugged, I am able
    > to boot from CD, however, I get a BSOD in the middle of attempting to
    > start the Windows XP setup process. With the hard drive unplugged, I
    > still can't boot from floppy, getting an error "Disk I/O error".
    >
    > So what's up with it?
    >
    > I'm getting ready to low-level format the hard drive, but I'm not
    > entirely sure that this will fix anything.

  9. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    Mike Walsh wrote:
    > The drive has a WinXP master boot record on it. A normal format will
    > not remove it.

    Are you sure of that? That it is in NTFS OK, so difficulties with Fat
    32, OK, but as far as I know a format deletes everything (at least on
    the surface). I can't see how the boot record can remain.

  10. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On Feb 23, 4:09 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    > Mike Walsh wrote:
    > > The drive has a WinXP master boot record on it. A normal format will
    > > not remove it.

    > Are you sure of that? That it is in NTFS OK, so difficulties with Fat
    > 32, OK, but as far as I know a format deletes everything (at least on
    > the surface). I can't see how the boot record can remain.

    A regular format still leaves the MBR on the disk.

  11. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On 23 Feb 2007 17:18:10 -0800, "A Nintendo Fanboy"
    wrote:

    >On Feb 23, 4:09 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    >> Mike Walsh wrote:
    >> > The drive has a WinXP master boot record on it. A normal format will
    >> > not remove it.

    >> Are you sure of that? That it is in NTFS OK, so difficulties with Fat
    >> 32, OK, but as far as I know a format deletes everything (at least on
    >> the surface). I can't see how the boot record can remain.

    >A regular format still leaves the MBR on the disk.

    What abour FDISK?

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  12. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    Fdisk will not remove a MBR. You can remove a MBR by replacing it with a different one, by doing a low level format, or by using a low level disk editor.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  13. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On 2007-02-24, Mike Walsh wrote:

    > Fdisk will not remove a MBR. You can remove a MBR by replacing it
    > with a different one,

    Isn't that what "fdisk /mbr" does?

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  14. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    No. Fdisk /MBR is supposed to repair a corrupted DOS MBR, but it usually does not work.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  15. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On 2007-02-25, Mike Walsh wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >> On 2007-02-24, Mike Walsh wrote:
    >>
    >> > Fdisk will not remove a MBR. You can remove a MBR by replacing it
    >> > with a different one,

    > No. Fdisk /MBR is supposed to repair a corrupted DOS MBR, but it
    > usually does not work.

    Ah, but what does it do? Exactly this: it writes a new, generic MBR onto
    the drive.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  16. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    With the harddrive unplugged, you cant have a virus because the virus
    is on that drive. (unless your boot floppy is infected too). Make a
    boot floppy from a clean working computer. Shut the little door to
    write protect it, and try to boot with the HD unplugged.

    It sounds to me like you have a hardware error. Either the
    motherboard is shot, bad memory, or another hardware issue. Be sure
    all memory, cables, and cards are plugged in tightly. I'd remove all
    of these things one at a time and reinsert. Watch for stuff that
    might be stuck in slots such as dirt and hair. If you have pets in
    the house, watch so pet hair dont get into the card slots and under
    memory strips.

    One other possibility, your power supply is not putting out enough
    voltage. Without professional test equipment, your only resources are
    to change one item at a time. Start with the memory, replace it with
    some spare strips, even if they are just a 32 meg strip or something.
    Boot with you dos floppy. If that dont do it, try another power
    supply, etc etc..... A bad Video card is another possibility. When
    you have a stable dos boot, try your harddrive again. Either way, you
    do NOT have a virus issue from what you said.

    On 21 Feb 2007 20:59:19 -0800, "A Nintendo Fanboy"
    wrote:

    >I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100 as a spare PC at the moment, but am
    >having huge issues with it.
    >
    >Whenever I have the hard drive plugged in via IDE, the CD drives wont
    >work at all, and on attempted boot from CD, I get an error "CDBOT:
    >Memory overflow error", and the same for the floppy drive, error
    >message "I/O error", yet when the hard drive is unplugged, I am able
    >to boot from CD, however, I get a BSOD in the middle of attempting to
    >start the Windows XP setup process. With the hard drive unplugged, I
    >still can't boot from floppy, getting an error "Disk I/O error".
    >
    >So what's up with it?
    >
    >I'm getting ready to low-level format the hard drive, but I'm not
    >entirely sure that this will fix anything.

  17. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    John Thompson wrote:

    > On 2007-02-25, Mike Walsh wrote:
    >
    > > John Thompson wrote:

    > > No. Fdisk /MBR is supposed to repair a corrupted DOS MBR, but it
    > > usually does not work.

    > Ah, but what does it do? Exactly this: it writes a new, generic MBR onto
    > the drive.

    I don't know exactly what it does because it does not work for me. My usual method to fix a DOS MBR is to back up the startup files, run Sys.com to copy a MBR from another drive, and then restore the startup files.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  18. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On 2007-02-26, Mike Walsh wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:

    >> > No. Fdisk /MBR is supposed to repair a corrupted DOS MBR, but it
    >> > usually does not work.

    >> Ah, but what does it do? Exactly this: it writes a new, generic MBR onto
    >> the drive.

    > I don't know exactly what it does because it does not work for me. My
    > usual method to fix a DOS MBR is to back up the startup files, run
    > Sys.com to copy a MBR from another drive, and then restore the startup
    > files.

    Ah. sys.com doesn't write a master boot record (MBR) but a partition
    boot record. The MBR points to a partition boot record, which in turn
    tells the boot loader where to find the operating system files it needs
    to continue the boot process. This allows you to boot multiple operating
    systems on a single machine by having the MBR point to a partition boot
    record for whichever system you intend to run. The generic MBR provided
    by "fdisk /mbr" simply points to the partition boot record on the first
    drive, which on a typical machine is a Windows (or DOS) system. If you
    replace the generic MBR with something else, e.g. linux "grub" or "lilo"
    you can get a menu from which to select among the operating systems
    installed on your machine.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  19. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    John Thompson wrote:

    > On 2007-02-26, Mike Walsh wrote:
    >
    > > John Thompson wrote:

    > >> Ah, but what does it do? Exactly this: it writes a new, generic MBR onto
    > >> the drive.

    > > I don't know exactly what it does because it does not work for me. My
    > > usual method to fix a DOS MBR is to back up the startup files, run
    > > Sys.com to copy a MBR from another drive, and then restore the startup
    > > files.

    > Ah. sys.com doesn't write a master boot record (MBR) but a partition
    > boot record. The MBR points to a partition boot record, which in turn
    > tells the boot loader where to find the operating system files it needs
    > to continue the boot process. This allows you to boot multiple operating
    > systems on a single machine by having the MBR point to a partition boot
    > record for whichever system you intend to run. The generic MBR provided
    > by "fdisk /mbr" simply points to the partition boot record on the first
    > drive, which on a typical machine is a Windows (or DOS) system. If you
    > replace the generic MBR with something else, e.g. linux "grub" or "lilo"
    > you can get a menu from which to select among the operating systems
    > installed on your machine.

    Maybe I have needed to use Sys.com instead of fdisk /MBR because my problems have been with the partition boot record.
    I am still not sure about all this because I recently decided that one of my PCs was not suitable to dual boot Win98 and Linux. I tried to use fdisk /MBR to remove LILO, but it did not work and I had to use Sys.com. This was when LILO was supposed to be in the MBR.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  20. Re: Potential boot sector virus?

    On 2007-02-27, Mike Walsh wrote:

    > I am still not sure about all this because I recently decided that
    > one of my PCs was not suitable to dual boot Win98 and Linux. I tried
    > to use fdisk /MBR to remove LILO, but it did not work and I had to use
    > Sys.com. This was when LILO was supposed to be in the MBR.

    No need for all that. Lilo keeps a backup of the original boot sector.
    Running "lilo -u" will restore it for you.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast