Stopping Out of Hard Drive Space messages - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Stopping Out of Hard Drive Space messages - Microsoft Windows ; I have 2 harddrives partitioned into 3 sections each, so I have C: thru H: Several of these partitions are nearly filled, but they do not contain any "working" programs. They are just storage for my camera photos, mp3's and ...

  1. Stopping Out of Hard Drive Space messages

    I have 2 harddrives partitioned into 3 sections each, so I have C:
    thru H:

    Several of these partitions are nearly filled, but they do not contain
    any "working" programs. They are just storage for my camera photos,
    mp3's and downloads. All of my programs and windows itself are all on
    C: (which still has plenty of space). However, I am constantly having
    messages popup telling me that E: or H: or whatever is full, and they
    popup randomly in the background and make my computer stop responding
    for a half minute or whatever. I know they are full, and actually,
    they are not totally filled because each one has at least 20 megs
    available. I dont need windows to keep telling me what I already
    know, especially when they are not 100% filled. Is there any way to
    stop these messages from popping up?

    Yes, I plan to buy another harddrive soon and copy all this stuff to
    that drive to free up space, but till I do, I'd really like to turn
    off these messages. Is that possible?

    I am running Win98SE.

    By th way, I dont have a cd burner and wont trust my valuable data to
    them, because half the time those homemade cds dont work.

    Keri

  2. Re: Stopping Out of Hard Drive Space messages

    keripatrick@nospam.com wrote in

    > I have 2 harddrives partitioned into 3 sections each, so I
    > have C: thru H:
    >
    > Several of these partitions are nearly filled, but they do
    > not contain any "working" programs. They are just storage
    > for my camera photos, mp3's and downloads. All of my
    > programs and windows itself are all on C: (which still has
    > plenty of space). However, I am constantly having messages
    > popup telling me that E: or H: or whatever is full, and
    > they popup randomly in the background and make my computer
    > stop responding for a half minute or whatever. I know they
    > are full, and actually, they are not totally filled because
    > each one has at least 20 megs available.

    There are MANY people who believe that to operate well, a hard
    drive should be at least 20% free.

    > I dont need
    > windows to keep telling me what I already know,

    Windows LOVES doing that kind of stuff... Haven't you noticed?
    You're lucky you are still on 98SE (as I am, and I am NEVER
    moving "up").

    > especially
    > when they are not 100% filled. Is there any way to stop
    > these messages from popping up?

    There MAY be - by deleting something from the registry - but I
    don't know. But read on.

    > Yes, I plan to buy another harddrive soon and copy all this
    > stuff to that drive to free up space, but till I do, I'd
    > really like to turn off these messages. Is that possible?
    >
    > I am running Win98SE.

    I often have the partition free space read incorrectly by
    Windows, but if you run scandisk on all your drives in pure DOS,
    it will fix that - for a short while.

    > By the way, I dont have a cd burner and wont trust my
    > valuable data to them, because half the time those homemade
    > cds dont work.

    That's because they are recorded on cheap media at 32x or higher
    speeds. See below.

    While hard drives die ALL the time, and it is NO FUN to try to
    recover data from them - I HAVE been through that experience -
    it is QUITE difficult to destroy a CD-R - well, it CAN be done
    in 3 seconds, but few people know how. (A few hacks with a razor
    blade on the PRINTED surface will do it - that's where the data
    is, not on the plain plastic side, that's why small scratches
    there often don't make any difference. But to do that, you have
    to do it INTENTIONALLY. I handle CD's as they should be handled
    so I have never even had to clean one [how to do THAT properly
    is another subject].)

    Short of writing all your data as 1's and 0's on paper - the
    PROVEN most permanent storage medium in the world - there is no
    safer way to store data.

    I must admit I myself don't trust DVD's (although I am really
    not sure why) and have no interest in copying movies, but I do
    have a CD burner on each of my 2 machines, both LG brand, and
    both have been working PERFECTLY since installed, and I use the
    best software there is - www.goldenhawk.com

    The trick is to buy GOOD media - I buy TDK "certified plus" from
    Costco - NEVER a single problem - and to record at SLOW speeds.
    I NEVER record at higher than 8x. What's the rush? And always
    have the software verify the written disk.

    For ALL you need to know about CD-R's: www.cdrfaq.org

    I STRONGLY suggest you reconsider your fear of CD-R's.

    Regards.
    t.