Importing a CSV File to Address book - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Importing a CSV File to Address book - Microsoft Windows ; At present my personal name and address file is held in an Excel Spreadsheet. There are 428 Records in there. I have exported this list to a .CSV file but I cannot import it into a Windows Address Book. My ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Importing a CSV File to Address book

  1. Importing a CSV File to Address book

    At present my personal name and address file is held in an Excel
    Spreadsheet. There are 428 Records in there. I have exported this list
    to a .CSV file but I cannot import it into a Windows Address Book.

    My operating system is Win 2K Professional.

    I would appreciate any help you can give me.

    Thanks in advance

    Stu

  2. Re: Importing a CSV File to Address book

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    > At present my personal name and address file is held in an Excel
    > Spreadsheet. There are 428 Records in there. I have exported this list
    > to a .CSV file but I cannot import it into a Windows Address Book.
    >
    > My operating system is Win 2K Professional.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    >
    > Thanks in advance


    Normally there is no problem either via Outlook Express (menu
    File/importer) or, as far as I know, Outlook which is similar in its
    method. Where are you having the problem?



  3. Re: Importing a CSV File to Address book

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:13:22 +0100, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >> At present my personal name and address file is held in an Excel
    >> Spreadsheet. There are 428 Records in there. I have exported this list
    >> to a .CSV file but I cannot import it into a Windows Address Book.
    >>
    >> My operating system is Win 2K Professional.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    >
    >Normally there is no problem either via Outlook Express (menu
    >File/importer) or, as far as I know, Outlook which is similar in its
    >method. Where are you having the problem?
    >

    I go to Address Book> File>Import>Other Address Book>Text File (Comma
    separated Values>Import.

    I then insert the name of the file I wish to import & click next.

    I am then asked to Map the fields I wish to import. I click on the box
    for Column 0 and I'm asked to select an Address Book Field for the
    Text Field Column 0. I get the drop down box and select Name and then
    OK. I then click the Finish button.

    I am told that the Address book import pprocess has completed.

    I get a record which has the format of an Address but has strange
    characters.

    There do not appear to be any other records in this file.

    I hope you can follow the above

    Stu



  4. Re: Importing a CSV File to Address book

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:13:22 +0100, "John of Aix"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >>> At present my personal name and address file is held in an Excel
    >>> Spreadsheet. There are 428 Records in there. I have exported this
    >>> list to a .CSV file but I cannot import it into a Windows Address
    >>> Book.
    >>>
    >>> My operating system is Win 2K Professional.
    >>>
    >>> I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance

    >>
    >> Normally there is no problem either via Outlook Express (menu
    >> File/importer) or, as far as I know, Outlook which is similar in its
    >> method. Where are you having the problem?
    >>

    > I go to Address Book> File>Import>Other Address Book>Text File (Comma
    > separated Values>Import.
    >
    > I then insert the name of the file I wish to import & click next.
    >
    > I am then asked to Map the fields I wish to import. I click on the box
    > for Column 0 and I'm asked to select an Address Book Field for the
    > Text Field Column 0. I get the drop down box and select Name and then
    > OK. I then click the Finish button.
    >
    > I am told that the Address book import pprocess has completed.
    >
    > I get a record which has the format of an Address but has strange
    > characters.
    >
    > There do not appear to be any other records in this file.
    >
    > I hope you can follow the above


    More or less. perhaps the first thing to check is whether the CSV file
    isn't corrupt by opening it in a text editor such as Notepad. If you
    have normal character (name, e-mail address and LOTS of commas) then
    it's fine and I think perhaps your problem is either you are importing
    into the wrong field (I've got Nme and e-mail adddress clicked and it
    works fine, some adresses have names in my address book (like Fred)
    others the full adress, fred@provider.com and it works fine. You can in
    fact clickall the boxes, it'll only fill fields that have something in
    them, like telephone number etc.

    The 'strange characters thing is a bit odd though andI can only imagine
    that if the csv file is good then they are being imported with the wrong
    character set. Seems unlikely but check it anyway, menu View/encoding
    and I think somewhere in the Tools menu theres a thing for that.

    >
    > Stu




  5. Re: Importing a CSV File to Address book

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:28:24 +0100, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:13:22 +0100, "John of Aix"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >>>> At present my personal name and address file is held in an Excel
    >>>> Spreadsheet. There are 428 Records in there. I have exported this
    >>>> list to a .CSV file but I cannot import it into a Windows Address
    >>>> Book.
    >>>>
    >>>> My operating system is Win 2K Professional.
    >>>>
    >>>> I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Normally there is no problem either via Outlook Express (menu
    >>> File/importer) or, as far as I know, Outlook which is similar in its
    >>> method. Where are you having the problem?
    >>>

    >> I go to Address Book> File>Import>Other Address Book>Text File (Comma
    >> separated Values>Import.
    >>
    >> I then insert the name of the file I wish to import & click next.
    >>
    >> I am then asked to Map the fields I wish to import. I click on the box
    >> for Column 0 and I'm asked to select an Address Book Field for the
    >> Text Field Column 0. I get the drop down box and select Name and then
    >> OK. I then click the Finish button.
    >>
    >> I am told that the Address book import pprocess has completed.
    >>
    >> I get a record which has the format of an Address but has strange
    >> characters.
    >>
    >> There do not appear to be any other records in this file.
    >>
    >> I hope you can follow the above

    >
    >More or less. perhaps the first thing to check is whether the CSV file
    >isn't corrupt by opening it in a text editor such as Notepad. If you
    >have normal character (name, e-mail address and LOTS of commas) then
    >it's fine and I think perhaps your problem is either you are importing
    >into the wrong field (I've got Nme and e-mail adddress clicked and it
    >works fine, some adresses have names in my address book (like Fred)
    >others the full adress, fred@provider.com and it works fine. You can in
    >fact clickall the boxes, it'll only fill fields that have something in
    >them, like telephone number etc.
    >
    >The 'strange characters thing is a bit odd though andI can only imagine
    >that if the csv file is good then they are being imported with the wrong
    >character set. Seems unlikely but check it anyway, menu View/encoding
    >and I think somewhere in the Tools menu theres a thing for that.
    >
    >>
    >>


    Thanks for your help. The CSV file was corrupt. I have now imported
    it. Thanks for all your help

    Stu

  6. Re: Importing a CSV File to Address book

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    > Thanks for your help. The CSV file was corrupt. I have now imported
    > it. Thanks for all your help


    You're welcome, glad its OK now.



+ Reply to Thread