Files in Sub-folders - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Files in Sub-folders - Microsoft Windows ; I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query. If not I apologise. I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in a seperate folder.I would like to copy these files to my ...

  1. Files in Sub-folders

    I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query. If not I
    apologise.

    I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in a seperate
    folder.I would like to copy these files to my hard disk but have all
    the individual files in a single folder. It will take about a week if
    i have to copy each file individually. Is there a command or a batch
    file I could use to do the job automatically.

    Any help thankfully received.

    Stu

  2. Re: Files in Sub-folders

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:00:28 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query. If not I
    >apologise.
    >
    >I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in a seperate
    >folder.I would like to copy these files to my hard disk but have all
    >the individual files in a single folder. It will take about a week if
    >i have to copy each file individually. Is there a command or a batch
    >file I could use to do the job automatically.
    >
    >Any help thankfully received.
    >
    >Stu

    Sorry. I should have said I'm using Win 2K Professional as my
    operating system

    Stu

  3. Re: Files in Sub-folders

    penult@ntlworld.com writes:

    > I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query. If not I
    > apologise.
    >
    > I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in a seperate
    > folder.I would like to copy these files to my hard disk but have all
    > the individual files in a single folder. It will take about a week if
    > i have to copy each file individually. Is there a command or a batch
    > file I could use to do the job automatically.
    >
    > Any help thankfully received.

    I'd install cygwin at cygwin.com. I think the base package includes
    the command line find utility.

    I'd then fire up the cygwin bash shell and do.

    mkdir /cygdrive/c/mybigdirectory
    cd /cygdrive/d/ (assuming C is the cd drive)
    find . -type f -exec /usr/bin/cp '{}' /cygdrive/c/mybigdirectory \;

    You'll find all your files in c:\mybigdirectory

    If you can find a stand alone find.exe for DOS you ay be able to
    perform a similar feat, but syntax will be different. Keys are to
    tell find that you want regular files copied only, and that the
    destination directory is the same for every file find finds.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Files in Sub-folders

    On 13 Feb 2007 17:18:19 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >penult@ntlworld.com writes:
    >
    >> I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query. If not I
    >> apologise.
    >>
    >> I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in a seperate
    >> folder.I would like to copy these files to my hard disk but have all
    >> the individual files in a single folder. It will take about a week if
    >> i have to copy each file individually. Is there a command or a batch
    >> file I could use to do the job automatically.
    >>
    >> Any help thankfully received.

    >I'd install cygwin at cygwin.com. I think the base package includes
    >the command line find utility.
    >

    >I'd then fire up the cygwin bash shell and do.
    >
    >mkdir /cygdrive/c/mybigdirectory
    >cd /cygdrive/d/ (assuming C is the cd drive)
    >find . -type f -exec /usr/bin/cp '{}' /cygdrive/c/mybigdirectory \;
    >

    >You'll find all your files in c:\mybigdirectory
    >
    >If you can find a stand alone find.exe for DOS you ay be able to
    >perform a similar feat, but syntax will be different. Keys are to
    >tell find that you want regular files copied only, and that the
    >destination directory is the same for every file find finds.
    >

    >Best Regards,

    Thanks Todd. but you lost me at " fire up the cygwin bash shell and
    do."

    I'm not familiar with Linux

  5. Re: Files in Sub-folders

    Put this in a batch file:

    dir /s/b D:\*.*> %TEMP%\list.tmp
    for /f %%g in (%TEMP%\list.tmp) do copy %%g C:\DestinationDirectory\*.* 1>nul 2>nul

    Where D is the CD drive
    There are two command lines. Lines may wrap on your reader. First line starts with dir, second line starts with for.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  6. Re: Files in Sub-folders

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:00:28 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query. If not I
    >apologise.
    >
    >I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in a seperate
    >folder.I would like to copy these files to my hard disk but have all
    >the individual files in a single folder. It will take about a week if
    >i have to copy each file individually. Is there a command or a batch
    >file I could use to do the job automatically.

    Open Explorer.
    Browse to the CD
    Hit F3 to search
    Search for *.*
    It will find all the files and directories.
    Select all the files - but make sure not to select the directories- ,
    and drag to wherever. It will copy all the files into that one folder.

  7. Re: Files in Sub-folders

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote in

    > I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this query.
    > If not I apologise.
    >
    > I have received a CD which has many data files, each one in
    > a seperate folder.I would like to copy these files to my
    > hard disk but have all the individual files in a single
    > folder. It will take about a week if i have to copy each
    > file individually. Is there a command or a batch file I
    > could use to do the job automatically.
    >
    > Any help thankfully received.
    >
    > Stu

    DL the Total Commander program from www.ghisler.com

    When you are at the root of the source disc/k, if you hit Ctl-B
    (for branch) it will show ALL the files on the disc/k regardless
    of where they are.

    Hit Ctl-A to select them all, go the other panel/drive, choose
    or create (F7) a directory where you want to put them, go back
    to the source panel, and hit F6 for copy.

    (Then consider buying the program because it's so great. It has
    an astounding amount of useful features - too long to even begin
    to list here...)