Windows Automatic Update service query - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows Automatic Update service query - Microsoft Windows ; This is a very specific question actually and if anyone has any input it would be very much appreciated. SO, on to the meat of it: I need to enable manual Windows updates on multiple remote machines however I can't ...

  1. Windows Automatic Update service query

    This is a very specific question actually and if anyone has any input
    it would be very much appreciated. SO, on to the meat of it:

    I need to enable manual Windows updates on multiple remote machines
    however I can't turn on automatic updates as all files will need to be
    vetted for compatibility issues first. The thing is the Windows Update
    website refuses to work unless the Automatic Updates service is set to
    Automatic. Setting it to Manual and having it running SHOULD let the
    website load correctly..right? I can't for the life of me figure out
    why it won't work this way and as I said, if anyone has any input that
    would be very helpful

    Mark

  2. Re: Windows Automatic Update service query

    mark.notley@gmail.com wrote:

    [Updates]

    I don't know if this is a solution for you, but if all these machines
    are in a Windows domain (or multiple ones), you could install a WSUS
    (Windows Server Update Services), set up a domain policy for configuring
    the update service (pointing it to the WSUS and so on), and then run
    things from there. You can make your own choice which updates will be
    permitted to be installed or only checked.

    If no domains are available, there's still the option of running
    gpedit.msc on each one to deploy the required settings.

    JK'07

+ Reply to Thread