Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc - Microsoft Windows ; On 2007-01-30 15:01:55 -0600, "John of Aix" said: > C J Campbell wrote: >> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote >> (in article ): >> >>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On 2007-01-30 15:01:55 -0600, "John of Aix" said:

    > C J Campbell wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
    >> (in article <300120070126555669%rps@null.void>):
    >>
    >>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
    >>> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
    >>> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
    >>>
    >>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
    >>> on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
    >>>
    >>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
    >>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
    >>> printed?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> PDF is the only way to go. It is the most simple, everyone can read
    >> it, and it doesn't change the way it looks from one computer to
    >> another.

    > It also requires third party software and for that is not the best
    > choice for anyone. A simple image of good quality will do fine in the
    > case under discussion.

    Since when does File > Print ... PDF > Save As PDF require third-party
    software?

    --
    JR

  2. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > Since when does File > Print ... PDF > Save As PDF require third-party
    > software?

    This thread is crossposted to three news groups.

    --
    Mac-themed T-shirts
    Mostly muckraking T-shirts

  3. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    William Mitchell wrote:

    > and this is a Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

    This thread is crossposted to three groups, only one of which is a Mac
    group.

    --
    Mac-themed T-shirts
    Mostly muckraking T-shirts
    Prius shirts & bumper stickers
    Ballroom dance-themed shirts & gift

  4. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    In article , William Mitchell
    wrote:

    > "John of Aix" writes:
    >

    > > PDF requires something to convert to PDFwhich is not native to a basic
    > > PC, en top of that for what it doezs (we're talking one page here) it
    > > incredibly heavy (Kb wise) and generally, in my opinion, PDF is crap and
    > > a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that couldn't be handled
    > > just as well as Word document or similar.

    > You think that pdf is "incredibly heavy" and want a _word_ file
    > instead??????
    >
    > Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
    > Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

    No, it's a bunch of groups cross-posted, including a photo groups _and_
    an M$ group, or didn't you check before replying?

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

  5. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    In article ,
    William Mitchell wrote:

    > Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
    > Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

    This is also crossposted to a windows group and a photo group.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

  6. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On 2007-01-30 17:10:26 -0600, mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike
    Rosenberg) said:

    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    >
    >> Since when does File > Print ... PDF > Save As PDF require third-party
    >> software?

    > This thread is crossposted to three news groups.

    I see that now - thanks.

    The OP could have helped a lot by specifying what operating system is
    running on the host computer, I suppose.

    --
    JR

  7. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On 2007-01-30 01:26:54 -0600, RPS said:

    > I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
    > text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
    > people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
    >
    > I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
    > their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
    >
    > With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
    > should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
    > printed?
    >
    > Thanks.

    What operating system is running on the host computer on which you will
    create the file?

    --
    JR

  8. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:43:53 -0500, John of Aix wrote
    (in article <45bfc9c8$0$27388$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>):

    > Ken Lucke wrote:
    >> In article <45bfb11d$1$25952$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John of Aix
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> John of Aix wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Whoops, in French again.
    >>>
    >>> I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
    >>> other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK
    >>>

    >> "Portable Document Format" files, a file format specifically and
    >> intentionally designed to be capable of being read by freely available
    >> (and free of charge) readers on virtually every graphics-screen
    >> capable computer known to mankind, aren't "quasi-universal"?
    >>
    >> OK.

    > Yes and it requires special software or add-ons to be created.

    Nope. I can simply print to a PDF without any extra software whatsoever.

    But then I _am_ working on a Mac.

    > Classic
    > image formats do not. This is a photo remember, a PDF will not improve
    > it in any way.

    It'll help when the person receiving the pic wants to print it.

  9. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    J.J. O'Shea writes:
    > >> "Portable Document Format" files, a file format specifically and
    > >> intentionally designed to be capable of being read by freely available
    > >> (and free of charge) readers on virtually every graphics-screen
    > >> capable computer known to mankind, aren't "quasi-universal"?

    > > Yes and it requires special software or add-ons to be created.

    > Nope. I can simply print to a PDF without any extra software whatsoever.

    You can't VIEW a pdf without special software not required to view
    photos.

  10. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:01:55 -0500, John of Aix wrote
    (in article <45bfb2b3$0$27400$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>):

    > C J Campbell wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
    >> (in article <300120070126555669%rps@null.void>):
    >>
    >>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
    >>> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
    >>> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
    >>>
    >>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
    >>> on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
    >>>
    >>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
    >>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
    >>> printed?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> PDF is the only way to go. It is the most simple, everyone can read
    >> it, and it doesn't change the way it looks from one computer to
    >> another.

    > It also requires third party software

    No, it does not. Many of us have computers which ship with the ability to
    print PDFs, and to read PDFs, without any third party software whatsoever.
    And by that I mean without having to get anything from Adobe, even Adobe
    Reader. Indeed, until Reader 8 shipped, the graphics reader which shipped
    with my main computer was superior in most ways to Adobe Reader. Even after
    Reader 8 shipped, that graphics reader is still much smaller and quicker to
    load than Reader, and can handle formats that Reader cannot... and can
    convert files from any one of about a dozen formats to any other of those
    formats. No, I don't need 3rd-party software to create and view PDFs.

    > and for that is not the best
    > choice for anyone. A simple image of good quality will do fine in the
    > case under discussion.

    JPEG images with text in them are typically problematical. I'd use PNGs
    instead, if there was a really good reason not to use PDFs.

  11. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    In article <7x4pq8ghbm.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin
    wrote:

    > > > Yes and it requires special software or add-ons to be created.

    > > Nope. I can simply print to a PDF without any extra software whatsoever.

    > You can't VIEW a pdf without special software not required to view
    > photos.

    Indeed. PDF requires either special software or built-in OS support to
    create, and special software or built-in OS support to read.

    As does JPG.

    As does GIF, TIFF, PNG...

    Etc.

  12. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    John of Aix wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >
    > Whoops, in French again.
    >
    > I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
    > other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

    Y'all could look at the scanned entry lists on this and other linked
    pages to see if the legibility passes muster. Simple JPEG files of
    moderate size can be emailed and/or posted easily.
    http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/covsb960.htm

    Photographs of text pages can be compatable, with care in the
    execution:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/E7CD986C19F4959

    --
    Frank ess
    from rec.photo.digital

  13. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:39:41 -0500, Paul Rubin wrote
    (in article <7x4pq8ghbm.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>):

    >>> Yes and it requires special software or add-ons to be created.

    >> Nope. I can simply print to a PDF without any extra software whatsoever.

    > You can't VIEW a pdf without special software not required to view
    > photos.

    Yes I can. Preview ships with Macs, and views PDFs perfectly well. At one
    point Mac screen shots were PDFs, by default. Preview could and did open
    those files (and any other PDF) and convert them to any of several other
    formats. Those who want to can download the free system utility TinkerTool
    and set the screen shot format back to PDF, if so desired. Or to any of about
    a dozen other formats, all of which can be read by Preview. (PNG, JPG, BMP,
    PSD, TIF, and others can be read by Preview, no problem.)

  14. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    Frank ess wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >> John of Aix wrote:
    >>
    >> Whoops, in French again.
    >>
    >> I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or
    >> any
    >> other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

    > Y'all could look at the scanned entry lists on this and other linked
    > pages to see if the legibility passes muster. Simple JPEG files of
    > moderate size can be emailed and/or posted easily.
    > http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/covsb960.htm
    >
    > Photographs of text pages can be compatable,

    "comPARable" Sheeshh.

    with care in the
    > execution:
    > http://www.fototime.com/inv/E7CD986C19F4959

  15. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:26:54 -0500, RPS wrote
    (in article <300120070126555669%rps@null.void>):

    > I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
    > text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
    > people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
    >
    > I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
    > their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
    >
    > With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
    > should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
    > printed?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Unless you have a really good reason for distributing a pic, I'd OCR the item
    and send either plain ASCII or RTF. If you must send a pic, send a PDF, high
    res. I've received all too many blurry JPEGs in the past to even consider
    using JPEG. (PNGs would work, but while I _know_ that all Macs since about
    1997 can read PNGs out of the box, I also know that most WinBoxes can't.
    Pity, but there it is. TIFs would also work, but are way too big. There's a
    reason why JPEGs are used, blurry though they can be.)

  16. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    "John of Aix" writes:

    > William Mitchell wrote:
    > > "John of Aix" writes:
    > >> PDF is crap and a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that
    > >> couldn't be handled just as well as Word document or similar.

    > > You think that pdf is "incredibly heavy" and want a _word_ file
    > > instead??????

    > I didn't say that it would be better Kb-wise but that it could be
    > supplied in lots of other formats

    And suggested what has to be one of the worst.

    > > Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
    > > Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

    > I suggest you check the headers.

    Sorry. I noticed after I posted it. I should have suspected it
    after seeing so many people having difficulties with such a trivial
    operation.

    --
    Bill Mitchell
    Dept of Mathematics, The University of Florida

  17. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    "John of Aix" wrote:

    > John of Aix wrote:
    >
    > Whoops, in French again.

    :-)

    > I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
    > other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

    Two points.

    o - I hated PDF when I was using Windows, mainly because of my
    dislike of the Acrobat application. On a Mac, I find PDFs
    _extremely_ useful, and don't need to use Acrobat.

    o - I occasionally have to e-mail legal stuff to recipients who cannot
    read JPG attachments. (I know not and care not why can't, I just need
    to get my communications through.) They _can_ read PDF files.

    --
    Paul Sture

  18. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    Thanks to everyone who responded. I should have explained that I have a
    mac (so it is easy to produce pdf from anything). However, once I send
    it to the recipient and they distribute it, people trying to view/print
    it could be on any system.

    Seeing so much disagreement, I prepared both JPEG and PDF files and
    sent them with the request to test a little on a few types of computers
    and monitors, whatever happens to be available, before distributing.

    Thanks again.

  19. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    Bill (bookreader127@yahoo.com) wrote:
    : On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:20:59 -0800, C J Campbell
    : wrote:

    : >There are plenty of utilities that will take an ordinary Word or similar document and
    : >convert it to PDF.

    : Could you name a couple, please. I have had trrouble finding one that
    : works consistently.

    It's built into OS X - choose Print, then "as PDF" from the drop-down
    menu.
    --
    Non Illegitimi Carborundum

  20. Re: Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

    Paul Sture wrote:
    > In article <45bfb11d$1$25952$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>,
    > "John of Aix" wrote:
    >
    >> John of Aix wrote:
    >>
    >> Whoops, in French again.

    > :-)
    >
    >> I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
    >> other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

    > Two points.
    >
    > o - I hated PDF when I was using Windows, mainly because of my
    > dislike of the Acrobat application. On a Mac, I find PDFs
    > _extremely_ useful, and don't need to use Acrobat.

    I'd be inclined to agree with you there. It isn't so much the PDF that
    bothers me as the fact that you need this bloody ugly and heavy Acrobat
    (Reader) to look at them (in Windows). I hate such limitations *.txt you
    can read anywhere, RTF much the same so I'm against *.XYZ files that
    require absolutely that you download XYZ Reader from some company or
    other.

    > o - I occasionally have to e-mail legal stuff to recipients who cannot
    > read JPG attachments. (I know not and care not why can't, I just
    > need to get my communications through.) They _can_ read PDF files.

    Ah the Mac-ists ;-)