Simulate a display resolution - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Simulate a display resolution - Microsoft Windows ; Hi. I have a notebook 13'' with a display that have a max resolution of 800x600 pixels. It exist a program for WindowsXP that simulate a resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher? Thanks....

  1. Simulate a display resolution

    Hi. I have a notebook 13'' with a display that have a max resolution of
    800x600 pixels. It exist a program for WindowsXP that simulate a
    resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher? Thanks.

  2. Re: Simulate a display resolution

    Sorry, you are out of luck. The highest resolution of your screen is
    limited physically, you can't override this. There are only a certain
    number of pixels to display on, so simulating more pixels is
    impossible.

    On Jan 22, 8:34 pm, "foris" wrote:
    > Hi. I have a notebook 13'' with a display that have a max resolution of
    > 800x600 pixels. It exist a program for WindowsXP that simulate a
    > resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher? Thanks.

  3. Re: Simulate a display resolution

    "JBrunelle" writes:

    > On Jan 22, 8:34 pm, "foris" wrote:
    > > Hi. I have a notebook 13'' with a display that have a max resolution of
    > > 800x600 pixels. It exist a program for WindowsXP that simulate a
    > > resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher? Thanks.

    > Sorry, you are out of luck. The highest resolution of your screen is
    > limited physically, you can't override this. There are only a certain
    > number of pixels to display on, so simulating more pixels is
    > impossible.

    I agree--you'd at best only get a downsampled version of teh screen
    which for anything but photographs is gonna look horrible in a hurry.

    However, there is the notion of desktop panning whereby you can see
    800x600 worth of a 1024x768 virtual screen and the desktop pans across
    that virtual screen as you move teh mouse around the workspace.

    I can't recall now if that's a Linux window managager feature, a
    vmware feature, or something I've seen on Windows somewhere/somehow.

    I think if you define your actual monitor to have a max 800x600
    resolution in control panel, but set the desktop to 1024x768 you'll
    get this panning functionality. I think...

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Simulate a display resolution

    On Jan 24, 11:06 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > "JBrunelle" writes:
    >
    > > On Jan 22, 8:34 pm, "foris" wrote:
    > > > Hi. I have a notebook 13'' with a display that have a max resolution of
    > > > 800x600 pixels. It exist a program for WindowsXP that simulate a
    > > > resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher? Thanks.

    > > Sorry, you are out of luck. The highest resolution of your screen is
    > > limited physically, you can't override this. There are only a certain
    > > number of pixels to display on, so simulating more pixels is
    > > impossible.

    > I agree--you'd at best only get a downsampled version of teh screen
    > which for anything but photographs is gonna look horrible in a hurry.
    >
    > However, there is the notion of desktop panning whereby you can see
    > 800x600 worth of a 1024x768 virtual screen and the desktop pans across
    > that virtual screen as you move teh mouse around the workspace.
    >
    > I can't recall now if that's a Linux window managager feature, a
    > vmware feature, or something I've seen on Windows somewhere/somehow.
    >
    > I think if you define your actual monitor to have a max 800x600
    > resolution in control panel, but set the desktop to 1024x768 you'll
    > get this panning functionality. I think...

    What I've seen is typically a video driver/chip function that does
    this. It's kinda useful for working on big docs that would normally
    require lots of scrolling, because the vid driver does the virtual
    thing WAY faster than you can scroll.

    -John O

+ Reply to Thread