Add windows components with restore CD? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Add windows components with restore CD? - Microsoft Windows ; I've inherited an HP desktop running XP pro from a departed colleague. Unfortunately my esteemed employer has mislaid the restore CD that came with the box and HP apparently doesn't even provide a Windows media CD. If I want to ...

  1. Add windows components with restore CD?

    I've inherited an HP desktop running XP pro from a departed colleague.
    Unfortunately my esteemed employer has mislaid the restore CD that came
    with the box and HP apparently doesn't even provide a Windows media CD.

    If I want to enable any of the Windows components that don't install by
    default (e.g. the fax service, message queuing, etc.) I'm asked to
    insert the (unavialiable) Windows XP CD. I can, however, buy a
    replacement restore CD from HP. Would that work?

    Thank you!
    ----
    Doug

  2. Re: Add windows components with restore CD?

    "Douglas Frank" wrote in message
    > I've inherited an HP desktop running XP pro from a departed colleague.
    > Unfortunately my esteemed employer has mislaid the restore CD that came
    > with the box and HP apparently doesn't even provide a Windows media CD.
    >
    > If I want to enable any of the Windows components that don't install by
    > default (e.g. the fax service, message queuing, etc.) I'm asked to insert
    > the (unavialiable) Windows XP CD. I can, however, buy a replacement
    > restore CD from HP. Would that work?

    I know that Dell provides a restore CD, but I don't know what HP does.

    If you are working in a large organization with many of the same/similar
    PCs, perhaps someone else has the restore CD?

    Or you can download a copy of Win XP from the alt.binaries.warez newsgroup.
    You can use your valid registration number ... I presume that the PC in
    question has the original Microsoft hologram sticker on it, with the
    original Win XP serial number?

  3. Re: Add windows components with restore CD?

    "Immure Obfuscation" wrote in message
    news:1yUqh.26646$FY2.2312@bignews1.bellsouth.net.. .
    > "Douglas Frank" wrote in message
    >> I've inherited an HP desktop running XP pro from a departed colleague.
    >> Unfortunately my esteemed employer has mislaid the restore CD that came
    >> with the box and HP apparently doesn't even provide a Windows media CD.
    >>
    >> If I want to enable any of the Windows components that don't install by
    >> default (e.g. the fax service, message queuing, etc.) I'm asked to insert
    >> the (unavialiable) Windows XP CD. I can, however, buy a replacement
    >> restore CD from HP. Would that work?

    > I know that Dell provides a restore CD, but I don't know what HP does.
    >
    > If you are working in a large organization with many of the same/similar
    > PCs, perhaps someone else has the restore CD?
    >
    > Or you can download a copy of Win XP from the alt.binaries.warez
    > newsgroup. You can use your valid registration number ... I presume that
    > the PC in question has the original Microsoft hologram sticker on it, with
    > the original Win XP serial number?

    I just re-read your original post. You say you're just adding Windows
    components (to an already working XP system) ... in that case, any copy of
    Win XP should work. Adding components does not require a serial number.

  4. Re: Add windows components with restore CD?

    Immure Obfuscation wrote:
    > "Immure Obfuscation" wrote in message
    > news:1yUqh.26646$FY2.2312@bignews1.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> "Douglas Frank" wrote in message
    >>> HP apparently doesn't even provide a Windows media CD.
    >>>
    >>> If I want to enable any of the Windows components that don't install by
    >>> default (e.g. the fax service, message queuing, etc.) I'm asked to insert
    >>> the (unavialiable) Windows XP CD. I can, however, buy a replacement
    >>> restore CD from HP. Would that work?

    >> I know that Dell provides a restore CD, but I don't know what HP does.

    > I just re-read your original post. You say you're just adding Windows
    > components (to an already working XP system) ... in that case, any copy of
    > Win XP should work. Adding components does not require a serial number.

    Hi, I.O., and thanks for responding. I guess I didn't make myself
    clear-- I don't have an XP CD, and there are none in the building here
    that I can find. HP didn't provide one with the machine (they just
    provided a restore CD, which has gone missing). I've contacted HP
    support and they're willing to sell me a replacement restore CD, but
    they do not offer an XP CD.

    I do however have an XP Home CD for my laptop. I am reluctant to try
    installing XP Home components onto an XP Professional system however, so
    my first question still stands-- is there a way to install XP
    components like message queuing, using only a restore CD? If not, I
    guess I'm hosed.

    BTW there doesn't seem to be an alt.binaries.warez newsgroup. Not on my
    news server anyway-- and I see that there are any number of
    alt.binaries.porn newsgroups there, so I don't think a.b.warez is
    blocked.... ;-)
    --
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread