Lots of ACR####.TMP Files in \Windows\Temp Directory - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Lots of ACR####.TMP Files in \Windows\Temp Directory - Microsoft Windows ; Everyone: Please help me with a problem that is driving me nuts. In the last few months, my desktop PC has been generating **LOTS** of files in the \Windows\Temp directory with filenames of the pattern ACR####.TMP, where #### is 3-5 ...

  1. Lots of ACR####.TMP Files in \Windows\Temp Directory

    Everyone:
    Please help me with a problem that is driving me nuts.

    In the last few months, my desktop PC has been generating **LOTS**
    of files in the \Windows\Temp directory with filenames of the pattern
    ACR####.TMP, where #### is 3-5 hex digits. These files are usually
    around 3.5 MB, sometimes a little larger, sometimes a little smaller.
    Often, the files are generated at the rate of over 200 files per hour.
    Often, the large numbers of these files has used up all of the free
    space on my hard disk.

    The frequency of occurrence and rate of growth of the ACR####.TMP
    files has been increasing over the last few months.

    Yesterday I checked the disk controller and hard disk with CheckIt
    7.0 in MS-DOS mode. It did not find any problems with either the
    controller or the hard disk. I still ahve some suspicion that a hard
    disk or controller problem may be causing or contributing to this
    problem.

    I do not have this problem on my laptop PC, only my desktop PC.

    I have some questions.

    1. What program or process is creating these files?

    2. If no one knows the answer to Q1, what ways are there to find
    out what program or process is creating all of these files?

    3. What can I do to stop the creation of these files?

    Background Information:
    Computer: HP Pavilion 750n, 2.0 GB RAM, 80 GB hard disk
    Operating System: MS Windows XP SP2, with the latest patches.
    Computer is a member of a home-based Windows NT domain, not a corporate
    network.
    Computer has a cable modem connection to the Internet and connection to
    a wireless home network.
    I use Norton Internet Security 2007, with the latest updates. Firewall
    and other security features fully activated. I do a full scan for
    malicious softwre weekly.

    Sincerely,
    Craig T. Dedo
    17130 W. Burleigh Place Voice Phone: (262) 783-5869
    Brookfield, WI 53005-2759 Fax Phone: (262) 783-5869
    USA
    E-Mail: and

  2. Re: Lots of ACR####.TMP Files in \Windows\Temp Directory

    The files are most likely droppings from Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Lots of ACR####.TMP Files in \Windows\Temp Directory

    Hi, i don't speak English but this link for problem.

    http://www.planetpdf.com/forumarchive/152722.asp
    http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329444.html

    Good luck!!!

    Craig Dedo ha escrito:
    > Everyone:
    > Please help me with a problem that is driving me nuts.
    >
    > In the last few months, my desktop PC has been generating **LOTS**
    > of files in the \Windows\Temp directory with filenames of the pattern
    > ACR####.TMP, where #### is 3-5 hex digits. These files are usually
    > around 3.5 MB, sometimes a little larger, sometimes a little smaller.
    > Often, the files are generated at the rate of over 200 files per hour.
    > Often, the large numbers of these files has used up all of the free
    > space on my hard disk.
    >
    > The frequency of occurrence and rate of growth of the ACR####.TMP
    > files has been increasing over the last few months.
    >
    > Yesterday I checked the disk controller and hard disk with CheckIt
    > 7.0 in MS-DOS mode. It did not find any problems with either the
    > controller or the hard disk. I still ahve some suspicion that a hard
    > disk or controller problem may be causing or contributing to this
    > problem.
    >
    > I do not have this problem on my laptop PC, only my desktop PC.
    >
    > I have some questions.
    >
    > 1. What program or process is creating these files?
    >
    > 2. If no one knows the answer to Q1, what ways are there to find
    > out what program or process is creating all of these files?
    >
    > 3. What can I do to stop the creation of these files?
    >
    > Background Information:
    > Computer: HP Pavilion 750n, 2.0 GB RAM, 80 GB hard disk
    > Operating System: MS Windows XP SP2, with the latest patches.
    > Computer is a member of a home-based Windows NT domain, not a corporate
    > network.
    > Computer has a cable modem connection to the Internet and connection to
    > a wireless home network.
    > I use Norton Internet Security 2007, with the latest updates. Firewall
    > and other security features fully activated. I do a full scan for
    > malicious softwre weekly.

    > Sincerely,
    > Craig T. Dedo
    > 17130 W. Burleigh Place Voice Phone: (262) 783-5869
    > Brookfield, WI 53005-2759 Fax Phone: (262) 783-5869
    > USA
    > E-Mail: and

+ Reply to Thread