Battery Backup software - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Battery Backup software - Microsoft Windows ; Greetings, I have a small business network that is currently without interruptible power. I intend to add battery backup to both the server, running Small Business Server 2003, and desktops running XP-pro. I have been able to find a number ...

  1. Battery Backup software

    Greetings,

    I have a small business network that is currently without interruptible
    power. I intend to add battery backup to both the server, running Small
    Business Server 2003, and desktops running XP-pro.

    I have been able to find a number of products that will provide enough
    power for our needs. (*) All advertise that they have software that
    will, when battery power is too low, signal the OS to save an image to
    disk and then shut down cleanly.

    Here's my problem. My limited experience with those systems (All with
    Win 98 systems) is that they are rather kludgy and cause unacceptable
    conflicts with the OS.

    Does anyone here have experience with this issue in XP-Pro? SBS2003?
    Any hints of where I can get reliable guidance that is not just
    manufacturer hype?

    (*) Our needs are fairly low scale, enough power to smooth over a 15
    minute or so outage, and the ability to self protect if the outage is
    longer. We don't need long term run capability, so our expectation is
    that we can use a product costing in the low hundreds, not the thousands.

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    JH

  2. Re: Battery Backup software

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:23:16 -0800, John Hyde wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I have a small business network that is currently without interruptible
    >power. I intend to add battery backup to both the server, running Small
    >Business Server 2003, and desktops running XP-pro.
    >
    >I have been able to find a number of products that will provide enough
    >power for our needs. (*) All advertise that they have software that
    >will, when battery power is too low, signal the OS to save an image to
    >disk and then shut down cleanly.
    >
    >Here's my problem. My limited experience with those systems (All with
    >Win 98 systems) is that they are rather kludgy and cause unacceptable
    >conflicts with the OS.
    >
    >Does anyone here have experience with this issue in XP-Pro? SBS2003?
    >Any hints of where I can get reliable guidance that is not just
    >manufacturer hype?
    >
    >(*) Our needs are fairly low scale, enough power to smooth over a 15
    >minute or so outage, and the ability to self protect if the outage is
    >longer. We don't need long term run capability, so our expectation is
    >that we can use a product costing in the low hundreds, not the thousands.
    >
    >Thanks for any thoughts.
    >
    >JH

    fwiw, all of our systems running Server 2003 standard (1) and XP Pro (5) are
    behind APC Back-UPS standby ups boxes, running the APC ups service kits. They
    are all set to suspend to disk in an extended outage - and with our provincial
    power company providing the mains service, they get tested often ;-)

    No conflicts, no problems, it all just works. But note that these are indeed
    "standby" units; they don't continuously provide load power from the
    batteries/inverter circuitry, they kick in only after a problem is detected.
    If you have significant voltage noise on your mains and you're looking to
    filter that out, these might not be the best solution for you...

    Cheers

    /daytripper

  3. Re: Battery Backup software

    On 12/29/2006 9:06 AM, daytripper wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:23:16 -0800, John Hyde wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> I have a small business network that is currently without interruptible
    >> power. I intend to add battery backup to both the server, running Small
    >> Business Server 2003, and desktops running XP-pro.
    >>
    >> I have been able to find a number of products that will provide enough
    >> power for our needs. (*) All advertise that they have software that
    >> will, when battery power is too low, signal the OS to save an image to
    >> disk and then shut down cleanly.
    >>
    >> Here's my problem. My limited experience with those systems (All with
    >> Win 98 systems) is that they are rather kludgy and cause unacceptable
    >> conflicts with the OS.
    >>
    >> Does anyone here have experience with this issue in XP-Pro? SBS2003?
    >> Any hints of where I can get reliable guidance that is not just
    >> manufacturer hype?
    >>
    >> (*) Our needs are fairly low scale, enough power to smooth over a 15
    >> minute or so outage, and the ability to self protect if the outage is
    >> longer. We don't need long term run capability, so our expectation is
    >> that we can use a product costing in the low hundreds, not the thousands.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any thoughts.
    >>
    >> JH

    > fwiw, all of our systems running Server 2003 standard (1) and XP Pro (5) are
    > behind APC Back-UPS standby ups boxes, running the APC ups service kits. They
    > are all set to suspend to disk in an extended outage - and with our provincial
    > power company providing the mains service, they get tested often ;-)
    >
    > No conflicts, no problems, it all just works. But note that these are indeed
    > "standby" units; they don't continuously provide load power from the
    > batteries/inverter circuitry, they kick in only after a problem is detected.
    > If you have significant voltage noise on your mains and you're looking to
    > filter that out, these might not be the best solution for you...
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > /daytripper

    Thanks, The APC is what I have used with Win 98 and they did not
    coexist. I had hoped that it would do better with XP, but didn;t want
    to invest as an experiment.

    Any trouble installing on the server? Or was it pretty much "out of the
    box?" Thanks again

    JH

  4. Re: Battery Backup software

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 03:35:50 -0800, John Hyde wrote:

    >On 12/29/2006 9:06 AM, daytripper wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:23:16 -0800, John Hyde wrote:
    >>
    >>> Greetings,
    >>>
    >>> I have a small business network that is currently without interruptible
    >>> power. I intend to add battery backup to both the server, running Small
    >>> Business Server 2003, and desktops running XP-pro.
    >>>
    >>> I have been able to find a number of products that will provide enough
    >>> power for our needs. (*) All advertise that they have software that
    >>> will, when battery power is too low, signal the OS to save an image to
    >>> disk and then shut down cleanly.
    >>>
    >>> Here's my problem. My limited experience with those systems (All with
    >>> Win 98 systems) is that they are rather kludgy and cause unacceptable
    >>> conflicts with the OS.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone here have experience with this issue in XP-Pro? SBS2003?
    >>> Any hints of where I can get reliable guidance that is not just
    >>> manufacturer hype?
    >>>
    >>> (*) Our needs are fairly low scale, enough power to smooth over a 15
    >>> minute or so outage, and the ability to self protect if the outage is
    >>> longer. We don't need long term run capability, so our expectation is
    >>> that we can use a product costing in the low hundreds, not the thousands.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any thoughts.
    >>>
    >>> JH

    >> fwiw, all of our systems running Server 2003 standard (1) and XP Pro (5) are
    >> behind APC Back-UPS standby ups boxes, running the APC ups service kits. They
    >> are all set to suspend to disk in an extended outage - and with our provincial
    >> power company providing the mains service, they get tested often ;-)
    >>
    >> No conflicts, no problems, it all just works. But note that these are indeed
    >> "standby" units; they don't continuously provide load power from the
    >> batteries/inverter circuitry, they kick in only after a problem is detected.
    >> If you have significant voltage noise on your mains and you're looking to
    >> filter that out, these might not be the best solution for you...
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> /daytripper

    >Thanks, The APC is what I have used with Win 98 and they did not
    >coexist. I had hoped that it would do better with XP, but didn;t want
    >to invest as an experiment.
    >
    >Any trouble installing on the server? Or was it pretty much "out of the
    >box?" Thanks again
    >
    >JH

    Straight out of the box installations. APC's kit hooks the existing Microsoft
    ups service in Server and XP - a feature that I don't believe ever existed in
    Win98 or ME operating systems - so it's truly a no-brainer to set up and
    operate.

    Cheers

    /daytripper

+ Reply to Thread