admin rights needed to start soundcard application! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on admin rights needed to start soundcard application! - Microsoft Windows ; I installed an emu soundcard (logged in as admin) in a w2k non-networked PC. The user application s/ware to this card works fine except only members of the admin group can run it! Login as a common or garden user ...

  1. admin rights needed to start soundcard application!

    I installed an emu soundcard (logged in as admin) in a w2k
    non-networked PC. The user application s/ware to this card works fine
    except only members of the admin group can run it! Login as a common
    or garden user and the app moans about not being installed properly
    (which it is). Move that user to admin group, and it works. Looks
    like a permissions problem somewhere - any ideas how to fix (other
    than move every one to admin grp :-) )

  2. Re: admin rights needed to start soundcard application!

    mike writes:

    > I installed an emu soundcard (logged in as admin) in a w2k
    > non-networked PC. The user application s/ware to this card works fine
    > except only members of the admin group can run it! Login as a common
    > or garden user and the app moans about not being installed properly
    > (which it is). Move that user to admin group, and it works. Looks
    > like a permissions problem somewhere - any ideas how to fix (other
    > than move every one to admin grp :-) )

    I fully expect this to quickly devolve into a "why windows tends to
    suck" sort of thread. :-)

    But if you think about it though, it's possible you're dealing with an
    application that may be doing low level direct access to the hardware
    (sound card in this case), and these are the sorts of things only
    privileged users get to do in the security model of most OS's.

    What's the application in question anyway? Surely there are other
    sound applications that interact through the driver layer that don't
    require admin rights to run?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: admin rights needed to start soundcard application!

    On 21 Dec 2006 02:26:41 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >mike writes:
    >
    >> I installed an emu soundcard (logged in as admin) in a w2k
    >> non-networked PC. The user application s/ware to this card works fine
    >> except only members of the admin group can run it! Login as a common
    >> or garden user and the app moans about not being installed properly
    >> (which it is). Move that user to admin group, and it works. Looks
    >> like a permissions problem somewhere - any ideas how to fix (other
    >> than move every one to admin grp :-) )

    >I fully expect this to quickly devolve into a "why windows tends to
    >suck" sort of thread. :-)

    Maybe - I was hoping for something more usful though.

    >But if you think about it though, it's possible you're dealing with an
    >application that may be doing low level direct access to the hardware
    >(sound card in this case), and these are the sorts of things only
    >privileged users get to do in the security model of most OS's.

    Yes of course but that's not the problem here. Yes, the low level
    stuff is the driver's responsibility - and not even priv users
    "should" be able to just jump around that. But the user intereface to
    the s. card is a user level application (just like any other). And it
    is the user level appliction I am on about (just emu's patchmix
    interface to it's own soundcard. It is *not* the driver.

    It kind of like saying only admins can play sound on a PC! Which I'm
    sure is not what you are saying.

    >What's the application in question anyway? Surely there are other
    >sound applications that interact through the driver layer that don't
    >require admin rights to run?

  4. Re: admin rights needed to start soundcard application!

    mike writes:
    > On 21 Dec 2006 02:26:41 -0600, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    > >mike writes:
    > >
    > >> I installed an emu soundcard (logged in as admin) in a w2k
    > >> non-networked PC. The user application s/ware to this card works fine
    > >> except only members of the admin group can run it! Login as a common
    > >> or garden user and the app moans about not being installed properly
    > >> (which it is). Move that user to admin group, and it works. Looks
    > >> like a permissions problem somewhere - any ideas how to fix (other
    > >> than move every one to admin grp :-) )

    > >I fully expect this to quickly devolve into a "why windows tends to
    > >suck" sort of thread. :-)

    > Maybe - I was hoping for something more usful though.
    >
    > >But if you think about it though, it's possible you're dealing with an
    > >application that may be doing low level direct access to the hardware
    > >(sound card in this case), and these are the sorts of things only
    > >privileged users get to do in the security model of most OS's.

    > Yes of course but that's not the problem here. Yes, the low level
    > stuff is the driver's responsibility - and not even priv users
    > "should" be able to just jump around that. But the user intereface to
    > the s. card is a user level application (just like any other). And it
    > is the user level appliction I am on about (just emu's patchmix
    > interface to it's own soundcard. It is *not* the driver.

    Looking at this explanation of what patchmix is, and given that it's
    accessing hardware accelleration on the card, I suspect you may be
    screwed.

    http://www.emu.com/callouts/E-MU-DAS_Patchmix.html

    The right folks to bitch at about it I suspect would be emu. You
    might see if they have a forum or FAQ that may address whether running
    this under a limited user is possible before spending too much
    cranial-to-desktop time on it. It could be that their application
    writers took the path of lesser resistance in allowing that app to
    talk directly to the hardware vs abstracting the interface in a way
    that would play well with windows hardware abstraction layer.

    > It kind of like saying only admins can play sound on a PC! Which I'm
    > sure is not what you are saying.

    Nah, I'm saying that I bet there are sound related utilities such as
    audacity or whatever that might work just fine with limited user
    accounts, but if (as I suspected) this program you were trying to use
    is more intimately tied to the hardware on that card, I'm guessing
    that it may need more direct access to that card's hardware than an xp
    limited account is willing to give. The case is strengthening for my
    theory given what the software does, but only EMU's support folks are
    likely to give you an authoritative word on that.

    Might check the knowledge base here:
    http://www.emu.com/support/welcome.asp?RD=kbase

    Patches here if you don't already have them:
    http://www.emu.com/support/files/dow...759&Platform=1

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/