cd read problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on cd read problem - Microsoft Windows ; hey all.. there's some large image files I copied to -rw cd disc via the DVD reader-CD writer under a windows 2000 machine from work. I tried to read this disc on my win98se machine which has a nec dvd/ce ...

  1. cd read problem

    hey all..

    there's some large image files I copied to -rw cd disc via the DVD
    reader-CD writer under a windows 2000 machine from work.

    I tried to read this disc on my win98se machine which has a nec dvd/ce
    writer. it was not able to read it.

    any ideas why my machine can't read the -rw disc copied from another
    machine.

  2. Re: cd read problem

    Incompatible media or image file format that is not recognized by the Win98 PC.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: cd read problem - format problem?

    that part I get. but is there anyway to for win98se to read the disc or
    at least list out the contents of the cd-disc?

    could the problem be the way the disc was formatted that made it
    unreadable for a win98se system?

    Mike Walsh wrote:

    >Incompatible media or image file format that is not recognized by the Win98 PC.
    >
    >Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >
    >>hey all..
    >>
    >>there's some large image files I copied to -rw cd disc via the DVD
    >>reader-CD writer under a windows 2000 machine from work.
    >>
    >>I tried to read this disc on my win98se machine which has a nec dvd/ce
    >>writer. it was not able to read it.
    >>
    >>any ideas why my machine can't read the -rw disc copied from another
    >>machine.

  4. Re: cd read problem - format problem?

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > that part I get. but is there anyway to for win98se to read the disc
    > or at least list out the contents of the cd-disc?
    >
    > could the problem be the way the disc was formatted that made it
    > unreadable for a win98se system?

    No the format of CDs is the same as far as I know (ISO 9006 IIRC).
    However it could be that it was written with a direct write programme,
    UDF I think this system is called, which allows writing to a CD just
    like you'd write to your hard disk, so you might have to have a
    programme that can read that format. It could be too that the CD isn't
    'finalised' and so your reader can't read it because of that. Open it it
    a CD burning programme and see if that is the problem, you can finalise
    it from there (or 'close the session' or similar).

  5. Re: cd read problem - format problem?

    John of Aix wrote:

    >Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >
    >>that part I get. but is there anyway to for win98se to read the disc
    >>or at least list out the contents of the cd-disc?
    >>
    >>could the problem be the way the disc was formatted that made it
    >>unreadable for a win98se system?
    >>

    >No the format of CDs is the same as far as I know (ISO 9006 IIRC).
    >However it could be that it was written with a direct write programme,
    >UDF I think this system is called, which allows writing to a CD just
    >like you'd write to your hard disk, so you might have to have a
    >programme that can read that format. It could be too that the CD isn't
    >'finalised' and so your reader can't read it because of that. Open it it
    >a CD burning programme and see if that is the problem, you can finalise
    >it from there (or 'close the session' or similar).

    I didn't use a cd burning program. I just copied the files to the cd
    after it was formatted.

    Is this (UDF format) what happened here in this case?

  6. Re: cd read problem - format problem?

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >
    >> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >>
    >>> that part I get. but is there anyway to for win98se to read the
    >>> disc or at least list out the contents of the cd-disc?
    >>>
    >>> could the problem be the way the disc was formatted that made it
    >>> unreadable for a win98se system?
    >>>

    >> No the format of CDs is the same as far as I know (ISO 9006 IIRC).
    >> However it could be that it was written with a direct write
    >> programme, UDF I think this system is called, which allows writing
    >> to a CD just like you'd write to your hard disk, so you might have
    >> to have a programme that can read that format. It could be too that
    >> the CD isn't 'finalised' and so your reader can't read it because of
    >> that. Open it it a CD burning programme and see if that is the
    >> problem, you can finalise it from there (or 'close the session' or
    >> similar).

    > I didn't use a cd burning program. I just copied the files to the cd
    > after it was formatted.
    >
    > Is this (UDF format) what happened here in this case?

    Under XP you can indeed write directly to CDs andI suspect this is the
    UDF format or similar. Perhaps 2000 does the same so it is possible that
    that is the problem. You could try re-recording the data with a burning
    programme to be sure that it is 'normal', or, easier still, copy it on
    to aUSB key if you have one big enough. The copy being made, of course,
    from your W2000 machine.

  7. Re: cd read problem - format problem?

    John of Aix wrote:

    > Under XP you can indeed write directly to CDs andI suspect this is the
    > UDF format or similar. Perhaps 2000 does the same so it is possible that
    > that is the problem.

    I had a similar problem with 2000. The DVD drive that wrote the disk could not
    read it if it was created as a data disk using Nero. I had a second DVD ROM
    drive and it read the disk just fine. I never solved the problem, since the
    using the second drive was easier than debugging the problem - not that I didn't
    waste hours of time and dozens of disks in the attempt.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread