Windows in VMWare - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows in VMWare - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I plan to set up a Windows terminal server. In order to easily backup the entire Windows system, I plan to install Linux as base system, then VMWare and in VMWare the Windows OS. Will I get a descreased ...

  1. Windows in VMWare

    Hi,

    I plan to set up a Windows terminal server. In order
    to easily backup the entire Windows system, I plan to install
    Linux as base system, then VMWare and in VMWare
    the Windows OS.

    Will I get a descreased speed performance in the VMWare
    Windows or will the Microsoft OS run approximately with
    the same performance as when installed directly without
    Linux.

    May I run in other problems (or restrictions) with my
    Windows system when run in VMWare?

    Thank you.

    Chris

  2. Re: Windows in VMWare

    Christian Christmann writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I plan to set up a Windows terminal server. In order
    > to easily backup the entire Windows system, I plan to install
    > Linux as base system, then VMWare and in VMWare
    > the Windows OS.
    >
    > Will I get a descreased speed performance in the VMWare
    > Windows or will the Microsoft OS run approximately with
    > the same performance as when installed directly without
    > Linux.

    There is a performance hit. It's not horrible but it is there. You
    will want to increase your RAM in the system as much as you can,
    double it nominally if you hope to achieve as close performance to
    bare metal as possible. The benefits of virtualization are numerous
    and in many cases the performance hit is an entirely acceptable
    tradeoff.

    > May I run in other problems (or restrictions) with my
    > Windows system when run in VMWare?

    Now many problems or restrictions really. It works very nicely. If
    you have the need for any specialized PCI cards or things like that in
    windows, you won't be able to do that, but USB works just fine.
    Graphics intensive operations aren't great candidates for
    virtualization either, but not many folks running terminal server are
    doing that sort of thing anyway.

    Enjoy your foray into vmware, and be sure to avail yourself of the
    excellent user forums on vmware.com

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/