Global Rename Files - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Global Rename Files - Microsoft Windows ; I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any programs out there that can do this? THanks. Bill...

  1. Global Rename Files

    I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    programs out there that can do this?

    THanks.

    Bill

  2. Re: Global Rename Files

    A Free (Open Source) rename utility that will do what you
    asked may be found at: http://www.evan.org/Software/Rename.html

    There are several similar utilities out there, but this one is
    very simple to use and it has UNDO (which the others do not).

    Skip Knoble, Penn State Graduate Education and Services.

    On 12 Dec 2006 10:15:39 -0800, "Stout" wrote:

    -|I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    -|names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    -|programs out there that can do this?
    -|
    -|THanks.
    -|
    -|Bill

  3. Re: Global Rename Files

    On 2006-12-12, Stout wrote:
    > I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    > names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    > programs out there that can do this?

    http://detox.sourceforge.net/

    detox is a program that renames files to make them easier to
    work with under Unix and related operating systems. Spaces and
    various other unsafe characters (such as "$") get replaced with
    "_". ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) characters can be replaced as well,
    as can UTF-8 characters. More details are contained in the
    detox.1 man page.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: Global Rename Files

    Thanks.

    Herman D. Knoble wrote:
    > A Free (Open Source) rename utility that will do what you
    > asked may be found at: http://www.evan.org/Software/Rename.html
    >
    > There are several similar utilities out there, but this one is
    > very simple to use and it has UNDO (which the others do not).
    >
    > Skip Knoble, Penn State Graduate Education and Services.
    >

    > On 12 Dec 2006 10:15:39 -0800, "Stout" wrote:
    >
    > -|I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    > -|names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    > -|programs out there that can do this?
    > -|
    > -|THanks.
    > -|
    > -|Bill

  5. Re: Global Rename Files

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:55:46 -0800, Stout wrote
    (in article <1166795746.146411.150130@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>):

    > Thanks.
    >

    > Herman D. Knoble wrote:
    >> A Free (Open Source) rename utility that will do what you
    >> asked may be found at: http://www.evan.org/Software/Rename.html
    >>
    >> There are several similar utilities out there, but this one is
    >> very simple to use and it has UNDO (which the others do not).
    >>
    >> Skip Knoble, Penn State Graduate Education and Services.
    >>

    >> On 12 Dec 2006 10:15:39 -0800, "Stout" wrote:
    >>
    >> -|I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    >> -|names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    >> -|programs out there that can do this?
    >> -|
    >> -|THanks.
    >> -|
    >> -|Bill

    Ditto here, thanks.

  6. Re: Global Rename Files

    "Stout" wrote in message
    news:1165947338.994836.26520@j72g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    > names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    > programs out there that can do this?
    >
    > THanks.
    >
    > Bill

    Let me add my recommendation for "Renamer" by J. M. Falcao.
    It is one of the most versatile, user-friendly and useful free
    progrems I've ever used. It can do anything with file names!

  7. Re: Global Rename Files

    "Mike E" wrote in message

    > "Stout" wrote in message
    > news:1165947338.994836.26520@j72g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > > I have a very large number of files that contain the & sign in their
    > > names. I would like to change it from & to "And". Are there any
    > > programs out there that can do this?
    > >
    > > THanks.
    > >
    > > Bill
    > >

    > Let me add my recommendation for "Renamer" by J. M. Falcao.
    > It is one of the most versatile, user-friendly and useful free
    > progrems I've ever used. It can do anything with file names!

    I meant to put the address:
    http://www.newfreedownloads.com/Wind...ent/File-Renam
    er.html

+ Reply to Thread