Help ! Cannot copy file > 2 Go with Win 98SE - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help ! Cannot copy file > 2 Go with Win 98SE - Microsoft Windows ; I have some weird problems with my old system and a new disk of 250 Go. - If I define a partition > 40 Go (Fat32), everything goes to hell... - When I try to copy from a DVD a ...

  1. Help ! Cannot copy file > 2 Go with Win 98SE

    I have some weird problems with my old system and a new disk of 250 Go.

    - If I define a partition > 40 Go (Fat32), everything goes to hell...

    - When I try to copy from a DVD a file of 2.4 Go (> 2Go), then a message
    'Parameter error' comes, and the file cannot be copied...

    - The same file can be read with a DVD Player on the PC.

    I am still reticent to go to XP (Already tried 5 instal failures), so I am
    trying
    to keep the best of my Win 98 SE.

    Any idea ?

    --
    Jean.paulo

  2. Re: Help ! Cannot copy file > 2 Go with Win 98SE

    Win98 has a file size limitation of 2 GB. You can play a DVD file larger than 2 GB because the video codec streams the file and windows does not handle it as a normal windows format file.
    Win98 has a disk size limitation of 128 GB (or about 137 GB, depending on how you measure it). I believe there is an arbitrary size limitation with FAT32, although it can theoretically handle terabytes.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  3. Re: Help ! Cannot copy file > 2 Go with Win 98SE

    Thanks for the confirmation. I did install XP at last, and the file can then
    be copied on NTFS and
    FAT32.

    The 'Ntfs driver for Win 98' does not seem to work, though.

    I just wonder why I did have so many problems when my partitions were > 40
    Go. With
    the same disks, now everything seemed stabilized.

    --
    Jean.paulo.

    "Mike Walsh" a écrit dans le message de

    > Win98 has a file size limitation of 2 GB. You can play a DVD file larger

    than 2 GB because the video codec streams the file and windows does not
    handle it as a normal windows format file.
    > Win98 has a disk size limitation of 128 GB (or about 137 GB, depending on

    how you measure it). I believe there is an arbitrary size limitation with
    FAT32, although it can theoretically handle terabytes.

    > "jean.paulo" wrote:
    > >
    > > I have some weird problems with my old system and a new disk of 250 Go.
    > >
    > > - When I try to copy from a DVD a file of 2.4 Go (> 2Go), then a message
    > > 'Parameter error' comes, and the file cannot be copied...

    > --
    > Mike Walsh
    > West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

+ Reply to Thread