Audio keeps muting. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Audio keeps muting. - Microsoft Windows ; A friend runs Windows XP professional and tries to use Skype and Googlettalk for voice communication. The audio sent from his PC goes quite, but he can hear the other party all the time. If he then mutes the connection ...

  1. Audio keeps muting.

    A friend runs Windows XP professional and tries to use Skype and
    Googlettalk for voice communication.

    The audio sent from his PC goes quite, but he can hear the other party
    all the time.

    If he then mutes the connection in Googletalk, then unmutes it, so the
    audio comes back. Sometimes it works for a couple of minutes, others for
    only a second. Each time, muting and unmuting cures it for a random
    interval.

    Any ideas?

    The sound recorder in Windows was tried too and the oscillograph of
    there shows no audio at the same time.

    So skype, googletalk and Windows recorder all show the audio has stopped.

    He has a problem in that the audio output stops intermittently. What is
    odd is that if he

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@southminster-branch-line.org.uk

    http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

  2. Re: Audio keeps muting.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > A friend runs Windows XP professional and tries to use Skype and
    > Googlettalk for voice communication.
    >
    > The audio sent from his PC goes quite, but he can hear the other party
    > all the time.
    >
    > If he then mutes the connection in Googletalk, then unmutes it, so the
    > audio comes back. Sometimes it works for a couple of minutes, others
    > for only a second. Each time, muting and unmuting cures it for a
    > random interval.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The only thing I can think of is that if his sound card has its own
    mixer, it might be interfering with the native Windows one, I had this
    problem many years ago. A long shot but I mention it anyway.

  3. Re: Audio keeps muting.

    John of Aix wrote:
    > Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >
    >>A friend runs Windows XP professional and tries to use Skype and
    >>Googlettalk for voice communication.
    >>
    >>The audio sent from his PC goes quite, but he can hear the other party
    >>all the time.
    >>
    >>If he then mutes the connection in Googletalk, then unmutes it, so the
    >>audio comes back. Sometimes it works for a couple of minutes, others
    >>for only a second. Each time, muting and unmuting cures it for a
    >>random interval.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    > The only thing I can think of is that if his sound card has its own
    > mixer, it might be interfering with the native Windows one, I had this
    > problem many years ago. A long shot but I mention it anyway.

    Thank you.

    Any ideas on how one might tell if this is the case?

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@southminster-branch-line.org.uk

    http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

  4. Re: Audio keeps muting.

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > John of Aix wrote:
    >> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend runs Windows XP professional and tries to use Skype and
    >>> Googlettalk for voice communication.
    >>>
    >>> The audio sent from his PC goes quite, but he can hear the other
    >>> party all the time.
    >>>
    >>> If he then mutes the connection in Googletalk, then unmutes it, so
    >>> the audio comes back. Sometimes it works for a couple of minutes,
    >>> others for only a second. Each time, muting and unmuting cures it
    >>> for a random interval.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> The only thing I can think of is that if his sound card has its own
    >> mixer, it might be interfering with the native Windows one, I had
    >> this problem many years ago. A long shot but I mention it anyway.
    >>

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Any ideas on how one might tell if this is the case?

    Well the programme concerned probably figures in the Run section of the
    Registry. The best thing to do is to check via the Start button then
    Execute then Msconfig. The right hand tab (startup) of the page that
    appears should show it. Untick and reboot. Windows will give you a
    warning when it reloads, just say OK. If nothing improves on that score
    you can always do the same thing and reclick it to reactivate at next
    boot up.

  5. Re: Audio keeps muting.

    John of Aix wrote:

    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>Any ideas on how one might tell if this is the case?

    > Well the programme concerned probably figures in the Run section of the
    > Registry. The best thing to do is to check via the Start button then
    > Execute then Msconfig. The right hand tab (startup) of the page that
    > appears should show it. Untick and reboot. Windows will give you a
    > warning when it reloads, just say OK. If nothing improves on that score
    > you can always do the same thing and reclick it to reactivate at next
    > boot up.

    I understand the soundcard was replaced and the problem has now gone. Of
    course, it might still be a software bug, but it seems to work I gather.
    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@southminster-branch-line.org.uk

    http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)