cloning an existing Win installation/partition to another hard disc ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on cloning an existing Win installation/partition to another hard disc ? - Microsoft Windows ; My existing hard disc is nearly full. I would like to "upgrade" it to a 250 GB disc. The problem is that I don't want to re-install my Windows OS and all other programs and settings again. I would appreciate ...

  1. cloning an existing Win installation/partition to another hard disc ?

    My existing hard disc is nearly full. I would like to "upgrade" it to a 250 GB disc.
    The problem is that I don't want to re-install my Windows OS and all other programs and settings again.

    I would appreciate it if I could take a snapshot from my old C: partition as image (e.g.With TrueImage)
    and extract this image onto the new harddisc partition C:

    However as far as I know this doesn't work. Windows recognizes the change in harddisc
    through volume number. Can I avoid this with a trick ?

    Furthermore I have not only to put the old image onto the new partition but
    make this partition somehow active/bootable.

    How do I do this? ?
    Do I have to edit the partition table ?
    What do I have to change ?

    Does your solution work for WinXP as well as for Win2000 (Pro) installation ?

    Wolfgang

  2. Re: cloning an existing Win installation/partition to another hard disc ?

    w.hercker@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Hercker) writes:

    > Does your solution work for WinXP as well as for Win2000 (Pro)
    > installation ?

    I recently did this with a boxed Seagate harddrive kit. Their
    included DiscWizard software was ridiculously easy to use, and worked
    perfectly moving my win2k pro system from a 150G disk to a 400G disk.
    No surprises at all.

    Frankly I was shocked. Discwizard even ran withing the existing
    windows partition it was copying which made it more impressive to me,
    considering windows makes open files rather tricky to copy well, as I
    recalled.

    Anyway, give it a shot if you have a Seagate disk.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: cloning an existing Win installation/partition to another hard disc ?

    Todd H. wrote:
    > w.hercker@hotmail.com (Wolfgang Hercker) writes:
    >
    >> Does your solution work for WinXP as well as for Win2000 (Pro)
    >> installation ?

    > I recently did this with a boxed Seagate harddrive kit. Their
    > included DiscWizard software was ridiculously easy to use, and worked
    > perfectly moving my win2k pro system from a 150G disk to a 400G disk.
    > No surprises at all.
    >
    > Frankly I was shocked. Discwizard even ran withing the existing
    > windows partition it was copying which made it more impressive to me,
    > considering windows makes open files rather tricky to copy well, as I
    > recalled.
    >
    > Anyway, give it a shot if you have a Seagate disk.

    The same for Maxblast from Maxtor, I recently moved everything to
    another disk without problem, a few icons lost their association but
    that was about it. It seems it will work for other disks as long as one
    of the two is a Maxtor.

  4. Re: cloning an existing Win installation/partition to another hard disc ?

    or Powerquest "Drive Image"

+ Reply to Thread