Powering down Maxtor external Disk? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Powering down Maxtor external Disk? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi group! just bought a Maxtor "Personal Storage 3200 external disk. Pretty simple - almost too much so! The installation instructions have 4 steps totaling less than 20 words. The last step is to go to their 'knowledge base" web ...

  1. Powering down Maxtor external Disk?

    Hi group!

    just bought a Maxtor "Personal Storage 3200 external disk. Pretty simple -
    almost too much so! The installation instructions have 4 steps totaling
    less than 20 words. The last step is to go to their 'knowledge base" web
    site for more information. I did that and still didn't see anything on how
    to power it down, other than to unplug it. Are these things intended to be
    left powered up all the time?

    Thanks for any advice!

    Mark

  2. Re: Powering down Maxtor external Disk?

    "Mark" wrote:

    >I did that and still didn't see anything on how
    >to power it down, other than to unplug it. Are these things intended to be
    >left powered up all the time?

    I presume the drive is connected via USB. To my knowledge Windows can't
    power down external drives, so you either have to press the OFF swtich
    on the drive case or pull the power plug. I'm switching my external
    drives on when I need them, the rest of the time they're off.

    JK'06

  3. Re: Powering down Maxtor external Disk?

    Thanks for the feedback. Since there is no switch on the drive, I'll
    probably go with the pull-the-plug option. I finally found something about
    it on the Maxtor web-site. The recommend just leaving it powed up and that
    they are supposedly disigned to run continuously. That may be, but I can't
    see doing this since I really only intend the drive to be for backing up my
    data on my internal drive - not everyday access.

    "Jan Kannemacher" wrote in message
    > "Mark" wrote:
    >
    >>I did that and still didn't see anything on how
    >>to power it down, other than to unplug it. Are these things intended to
    >>be
    >>left powered up all the time?

    > I presume the drive is connected via USB. To my knowledge Windows can't
    > power down external drives, so you either have to press the OFF swtich
    > on the drive case or pull the power plug. I'm switching my external
    > drives on when I need them, the rest of the time they're off.
    >

    > JK'06

  4. Re: Powering down Maxtor external Disk?

    "mwlogs" wrote:

    >Thanks for the feedback. Since there is no switch on the drive, I'll
    >probably go with the pull-the-plug option.

    Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" drive?

    JK'06

  5. Re: Powering down Maxtor external Disk?

    It's 3.5" ATA. Spec sheet:
    http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/Basics_Basic/

    > "mwlogs" wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the feedback. Since there is no switch on the drive, I'll
    >>probably go with the pull-the-plug option.

    > Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" drive?
    >

    > JK'06

  6. Re: Powering down Maxtor external Disk?

    "mwlogs" wrote:

    >It's 3.5" ATA. Spec sheet:
    >http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/Basics_Basic/

    That's the first external 3.5" USB drive I've ever seen which doesn't
    have a power switch...

    JK'06

+ Reply to Thread