Win 98 Text display problems? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Win 98 Text display problems? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all. I'm looking for the right group for help with Windows 98 problems. Basically, it's displaying gibberish instead of text in some programs, and it's having print problems too. So far, Google and MS support have been un-helpful, so ...

  1. Win 98 Text display problems?

    Hi all.

    I'm looking for the right group for help with Windows 98 problems.
    Basically, it's displaying gibberish instead of text in some programs,
    and it's having print problems too.

    So far, Google and MS support have been un-helpful, so I'm looking to
    pick some brains out there. Anyone got a link or ideas where I can get
    started?

    I've already tried to re-install the programs, and I've done virus and
    malware scans. Adaware and SpyBotSD turned up several problems, most of
    them cookies. The free online scan tool and Symantec found no viri.

    I assume some part of the system got damaged, but I'm not sure exactly
    what or how to re-install it.

    I've deleted the old printer driver now, and I'm looking for some sort
    of re-install font system before I try to re-install it. Any ideas?

    Basically everything but the simplest document form Write prints
    incorrectly, from any program. Firefox displays gibberish, even from
    Google's home page and their own support pages (IE displays the same
    pages just fine.)

    Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

  2. Re: Win 98 Text display problems?

    Mark Space wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm looking for the right group for help with Windows 98 problems.
    > Basically, it's displaying gibberish instead of text in some programs,
    > and it's having print problems too.
    >
    > So far, Google and MS support have been un-helpful, so I'm looking to
    > pick some brains out there. Anyone got a link or ideas where I can
    > get started?
    >
    > I've already tried to re-install the programs, and I've done virus and
    > malware scans. Adaware and SpyBotSD turned up several problems, most
    > of them cookies. The free online scan tool and Symantec found no
    > viri.
    > I assume some part of the system got damaged, but I'm not sure exactly
    > what or how to re-install it.
    >
    > I've deleted the old printer driver now, and I'm looking for some sort
    > of re-install font system before I try to re-install it. Any ideas?
    >
    > Basically everything but the simplest document form Write prints
    > incorrectly, from any program. Firefox displays gibberish, even from
    > Google's home page and their own support pages (IE displays the same
    > pages just fine.)

    Maybe its your choice of language/region/character set that is the
    problem. That's sorted in the Control Panel, regional settings or
    somesuch, I can't remember under 98

    > Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread