Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive - Microsoft Windows ; I have the same problem on Win 98 Se than Cybermorph. At some times, all the icons are redrawn and the system freezes during that time. But I also have a bigger problem. I recently bought a 250 Go drive ...

  1. Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    I have the same problem on Win 98 Se than Cybermorph. At some times, all the
    icons are redrawn
    and the system freezes during that time.

    But I also have a bigger problem. I recently bought a 250 Go drive (Maxtor)
    as second unit.
    Some large files (2 Go vidéos) just cannot be copied between some
    partitions.

    I seems (but I am not sure) that if the destination is near 40 Go full
    (60%), then
    the system says there is a write error on the destination.

    Anyone knows ?

    --
    Jean.paulo

  2. Re: Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    "jean.paulo" wrote:

    >But I also have a bigger problem. I recently bought a 250 Go drive (Maxtor)
    >as second unit.
    >Some large files (2 Go vidéos) just cannot be copied between some
    >partitions.

    If you are using Windows 98 SE and have a 250 GB drive formatted with
    FAT32, chances are that your problem occurs if a file copied to the
    drive is larger than 4 GB, which is the maximum filesize on a FAT32
    partition. Your options are as follows:

    1.) Upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP

    2.) Get a NTFS driver for Win 98 (look at www.sysinternals.com), take
    the drive to a Win 2000 or XP machine and convert the filesystem from
    FAT32 to NTFS

    3.) Forget about it. ;^>

    JK'06

  3. Re: Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    Merci, mais :

    --
    Jean.paulo

    "Jan Kannemacher" a écrit dans le message de
    > "jean.paulo" wrote:
    >
    > >But I also have a bigger problem. I recently bought a 250 Go drive

    (Maxtor)
    > >as second unit.
    > >Some large files (2 Go vidéos) just cannot be copied between some
    > >partitions.

    > If you are using Windows 98 SE and have a 250 GB drive formatted with
    > FAT32, chances are that your problem occurs if a file copied to the
    > drive is larger than 4 GB, which is the maximum filesize on a FAT32
    > partition. Your options are as follows:
    >
    > 1.) Upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP

    Non, le fichier que je veux copier fait 2 Go, pas 4. Mais il me semble que
    le problème vient
    du disque destination formaté à plus de 40 Go. Dans ce cas, j'ai carrément
    un
    'write error' sur le disque destination au moment ou il atteint 40 Go (sur
    60)

    Quand à XP, ça fait 2 semaines que je me bat pour essayer de l'intaller sur
    ce F... disque.
    (6 ème tentative à faire). Pertes de partition, erreurs sur le multiboot...
    Ras le bol.

    > 2.) Get a NTFS driver for Win 98 (look at www.sysinternals.com), take
    > the drive to a Win 2000 or XP machine and convert the filesystem from
    > FAT32 to NTFS

    Bonne idée à voir. Pour l'instant, j'ai caché la partition NTFS que Win
    s'acharne à considerer comme
    une 'disquette' à formater.

    > 3.) Forget about it. ;^>

    (Soupir)

    > JK'06

  4. Re: Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    "jean.paulo" wrote:

    >Merci, mais :

    Try English (or German, my Latin is rather rusty) the next time, if you
    want me to understand it. Even though you french guys may not like it,
    this is an english-language newsgroup, quite obvious because its name
    doesn't start with fr. or something similar. My French is about
    exhausted with "parlez-vous pommes frites". ;^>

    JK'06

  5. Re: Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    Oh, I am so sorry. I am to the point where I don't realise if I am writing
    English or
    French.
    After watching a DVD, then I think : Was it VO or VF ?

    Anyway, here is the right answer:

    Thanks, but :
    --
    Jean.paulo

    "jean.paulo" a écrit dans le message de
    > Merci, mais :
    >
    > --
    > Jean.paulo
    >
    > "Jan Kannemacher" a écrit dans le message de

    Try English (or German, my Latin is rather rusty) the next time, if you
    want me to understand it. Even though you french guys may not like it,
    this is an english-language newsgroup, quite obvious because its name
    doesn't start with fr. or something similar. My French is about
    exhausted with "parlez-vous pommes frites". ;^>

    > > >But I also have a bigger problem. I recently bought a 250 Go drive

    > (Maxtor)
    > > >as second unit.
    > > >Some large files (2 Go vidéos) just cannot be copied between some
    > > >partitions.

    > > If you are using Windows 98 SE and have a 250 GB drive formatted with
    > > FAT32, chances are that your problem occurs if a file copied to the
    > > drive is larger than 4 GB, which is the maximum filesize on a FAT32
    > > partition. Your options are as follows:
    > >
    > > 1.) Upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP

    No, the file I want to copy is less than 2 Go, not close to 4. In fact, I
    think that the
    problem comes from a destination more than 40 Go. I quite got a 'Write
    error'
    on destination, when the partition is 40 Go full out of 60 Go.

    As for XP, I have been trying to make it run on Multiboot on this same f...
    disk.
    I am to the 6th try. Lost of partition, many bad cluster lost...

    I am Fuc... off.

    > > 2.) Get a NTFS driver for Win 98 (look at www.sysinternals.com), take
    > > the drive to a Win 2000 or XP machine and convert the filesystem from
    > > FAT32 to NTFS

    Yes, that a good Idea. I got the driver from your URL. Right now I am still
    hiding
    the NTFS partition, but WIN 98 continues to see it as a 'Flexdisk, can I
    format it ?'
    > > 3.) Forget about it. ;^>

    (Sigh !!)

    > > JK'06

  6. Re: Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    "jean.paulo" wrote:

    [NTFS formatting from Windows 98]

    I've never tried it. My old notebook (Sony Vaio from 2000) is still
    running Win 98 SE, but I turn it on about twice a year, for the rest
    there's a big machine with a big OS. ;^>

    Don't you know anybody with a Windows 2000 or XP computer? Plug in the
    drive, quickformat it with NTFS, done.

    JK'06

  7. Re: Big file transfert freezes on 250 Go drive

    I did not tried it yet. The Microsoft driver is READ ONLY, so it will be
    just
    so the drive will not be inadvertedly corrupted by WIN 98.

    I think now that my problems came from partition > 40 Go.

    --
    Jean.paulo.bidon

    "Jan Kannemacher" a écrit dans le message de
    newssgdl2p0qc4qqsdhgqsq488thpfhsvkju6@4ax.com...
    > "jean.paulo" wrote:
    >
    > [NTFS formatting from Windows 98]
    >
    > I've never tried it. My old notebook (Sony Vaio from 2000) is still
    > running Win 98 SE, but I turn it on about twice a year, for the rest
    > there's a big machine with a big OS. ;^>
    >
    > Don't you know anybody with a Windows 2000 or XP computer? Plug in the
    > drive, quickformat it with NTFS, done.
    >

    > JK'06

+ Reply to Thread