looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine - Microsoft Windows ; I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a link where I can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se machine to look at a usb drive? thanks Jeff Jeff Kish...

  1. looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a link where I
    can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se machine to look at a
    usb drive?
    thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff Kish

  2. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    Jeff Kish wrote:
    > I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a
    > link where I can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se
    > machine to look at a usb drive?
    > thanks

    J'ai eu ce problème avec un drive 'no name' sous 98 et autant que je me
    rappelle il demandait usb.sys et un autre usb quelconque, qui n'étaient
    pas sur le CD de Windows. J'ai pu trouver les fichiers par la methode
    suivante, quelque peu système D j'admets.
    Je commençais à installer le 'nouveau materiel' puis quand Windows
    demandait un fichier ou me disait qu'il ne trouvait pas un fichier je
    cliquais sur le bouton 'parcourir' et son nom était affiché dans l'edit
    Ouvrir de la fenêtre qui apparaissait. Je notais le nom puis revenais en
    arrière pour cliquer sur 'ignorer', ce qui faisiat qu'il passait au
    prochain fichier recherché, dont j'ai eu le nom de la même façon.

    Je crois qu'il n'avais que deux fichiers à filer. Ensuite, quelques
    clics chez Google et voili voila

  3. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    Jeff Kish wrote:
    > I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a
    > link where I can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se
    > machine to look at a usb drive?
    > thanks

    Sorry Jeff, don't know why I wrote to you in French, probably because I
    was talking on the phone (in French) at the same time as I began
    replying and so carried on from there after the call.

    I was saying that I got round the problem of no name drivers on 98 by
    starting to install the 'new material' and then once I knew the name of
    the file Windows was looking for (click on the button Browse if I
    remember, it's in the 'edit' of the next page, if it isn't marked before
    that) and noting the name, then saying 'Ignore to get on to the next
    file Windows wanted. As far as I remember there were only two but they
    weren't on the windows CD, one was USB.sys I think,; the other I can't
    remember at all. Whatever, once I had the names it was pretty easy to
    get them from the net and then point the USB key installation to where
    they had been saved.

  4. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:30:51 -0500, Jeff Kish wrote:

    >I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a link where I
    >can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se machine to look at a
    >usb drive?

    Have you looked at the BIOS settings?

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Web: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

  5. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 01:36:30 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:30:51 -0500, Jeff Kish wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a link where I
    >>can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se machine to look at a
    >>usb drive?

    >Have you looked at the BIOS settings?

    No. When I plugged in my usb drive, it started the 'searching for drivers'
    process.
    Thats why I asked about drivers.

    regards,
    Jeff
    Jeff Kish

  6. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    mmmm.. a bit rusty but here goes...

    C'est nes pas une problem mon ami.
    Merci beaucoup pour votre information.

    ehhh les files .. oh crap. I took two years over 30 years ago, I'm just too
    damn rusty and I never had any technical training in French. I loved the
    language but that does not make it stick if you don't use it.

    Where the files usb.sys etc already on your hard drive?

    au revoir,
    Jeff

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:46:34 +0100, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >Jeff Kish wrote:
    >> I haven't had any success with google - can someone point me to a
    >> link where I can download a driver that will enable my windows 98se
    >> machine to look at a usb drive?
    >> thanks

    >Sorry Jeff, don't know why I wrote to you in French, probably because I
    >was talking on the phone (in French) at the same time as I began
    >replying and so carried on from there after the call.
    >
    >I was saying that I got round the problem of no name drivers on 98 by
    >starting to install the 'new material' and then once I knew the name of
    >the file Windows was looking for (click on the button Browse if I
    >remember, it's in the 'edit' of the next page, if it isn't marked before
    >that) and noting the name, then saying 'Ignore to get on to the next
    >file Windows wanted. As far as I remember there were only two but they
    >weren't on the windows CD, one was USB.sys I think,; the other I can't
    >remember at all. Whatever, once I had the names it was pretty easy to
    >get them from the net and then point the USB key installation to where
    >they had been saved.

    Jeff Kish

  7. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    Jeff Kish wrote:
    > mmmm.. a bit rusty but here goes...
    >

    > C'est nes pas une problem mon ami.
    > Merci beaucoup pour votre information.
    >
    > ehhh les files .. oh crap. I took two years over 30 years ago, I'm
    > just too damn rusty and I never had any technical training in French.
    > I loved the language but that does not make it stick if you don't use
    > it.

    Alas not, it isn't like riding a bike.

    > Where the files usb.sys etc already on your hard drive?

    No as I say, Windows was looking for them and couldn't find them but
    once I knew what it was looking for I didn't have any trouble getting
    them from the net.

  8. Re: looking for usb drive drivers for old windows 98 machine

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:27:18 +0100, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >Jeff Kish wrote:
    >> mmmm.. a bit rusty but here goes...
    >>

    >> C'est nes pas une problem mon ami.
    >> Merci beaucoup pour votre information.
    >>
    >> ehhh les files .. oh crap. I took two years over 30 years ago, I'm
    >> just too damn rusty and I never had any technical training in French.
    >> I loved the language but that does not make it stick if you don't use
    >> it.

    >Alas not, it isn't like riding a bike.
    >
    >> Where the files usb.sys etc already on your hard drive?

    >No as I say, Windows was looking for them and couldn't find them but
    >once I knew what it was looking for I didn't have any trouble getting
    >them from the net.

    Thanks.
    I have the problem under somewhat of a control.
    I appreciate you assistance
    Jeff
    Jeff Kish

+ Reply to Thread