what could be causing desktop to not load? screen just sits there..... - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on what could be causing desktop to not load? screen just sits there..... - Microsoft Windows ; Hi All, I just reformatted my IBM Thinkpad Laptop and installed win 2000 and Norton System- works 2005. Was getting the updates as fast as possible for both off and on the inter- net but this last restart the desktop ...

  1. what could be causing desktop to not load? screen just sits there.....

    Hi All,

    I just reformatted my IBM Thinkpad Laptop and installed win 2000 and
    Norton System-
    works 2005. Was getting the updates as fast as possible for both off
    and on the inter-
    net but this last restart the desktop wouldnt load. It wont load in
    safe mode either. What
    is the best course of action? I had problems a few weeks with bugs
    doing the same thing
    and ended up waisting an installation of NSW & Firewall and dont want
    to do it again. Any
    advice would be VERY GRATEFUL.Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: what could be causing desktop to not load? screen just sits there.....

    "kimberlykcster@gmail.com" writes:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just reformatted my IBM Thinkpad Laptop and installed win 2000

    Nice choice...

    > and Norton System- works 2005.

    Heh... can I stop right there and point? ;-)

    > Was getting the updates as fast as possible for both off and on the
    > inter- net

    Were you behind a hardware firewall while doing so?

    If not, all bets are off. In the time it took to download, the mean
    time between attacks is so short these days there are several remotely
    exploitable vulnerabilities you could've been owned by.

    > but this last restart the desktop wouldnt load. It wont load in safe
    > mode either. What is the best course of action? I had problems a few
    > weeks with bugs doing the same thing and ended up waisting an
    > installation of NSW & Firewall and dont want to do it again. Any
    > advice would be VERY GRATEFUL.Thanks in advance.

    I'd make sure you're behind a hardare firewall, re-install win2k from
    original media opting to completely repartition and reformat the disk,
    redo the installation, make sure you've gotten all the driver packs
    for the thinkpad off ibm's site, and except this time, skip the Norton
    System works. Consider Avira perhaps for a free anti-virus. If you
    wanna buy something, try nod32 from eset or Kaspersky. And give
    Windows firewall a whirl once you get the latest service pack
    installed.

    Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but with the complexity of modern
    systems, that's pretty much the story out there. :-(

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: what could be causing desktop to not load? screen just sits there.....

    If you can at least pull up task manager while you stare at an empty
    desktop, you can try running (new task...) sfc /scannow from there.
    Just have your Windows CD handy. This replaces all your system files to
    their defaults.

+ Reply to Thread